Key tumblers needed r12s

PRIVATE sales only please.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

victorlaszlo

Key tumblers needed r12s

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm re-keying the lock cylinders for the cases I bought and seem to be missing 4x tumbler #3.

Does anyone have some un-used spares by any chance?

Also, I have 2 open ended tumblers, where are they supposed to go, are they the ones keeping the cylinders in the barrel?

See attached photo:

IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG (122.29 KiB) Viewed 5359 times

Many thanks Vic

slparry

Re: Key tumblers needed r12s

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mygeTPWUhqY

You need the springs to go with them and yes those two are the "end" ones that keep the barrel in place in the lock

I have a few wafers but you'd have to tell me which you need (they're numbered 1 to 3) alternatively your local dealership should have some spare. I assume 4 number 3's? I'm guessing you need the springs too?

If you get real stuck, send the locks and a key to me, with those end wafers, with a SAE, and I'll do them for you. (or bring them to the Welsh Weekend :D)

Steve
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm

slparry wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mygeTPWUhqY

You need the springs to go with them and yes those two are the "end" ones that keep the barrel in place in the lock

I have a few wafers but you'd have to tell me which you need (they're numbered 1 to 3) alternatively your local dealership should have some spare. I assume 4 number 3's? I'm guessing you need the springs too?

If you get real stuck, send the locks and a key to me, with those end wafers, with a SAE, and I'll do them for you. (or bring them to the Welsh Weekend :D)

Steve

Hu Steve,

That's most kind of you.

I've rekeyed an R11S barrel before and it seems to be the same principle.

If the open ended ones are the end ones I should only need 2x #3.

Sprinfs i have, a few were missing but they look the same as the spare R11S ones so should be fine.

I'll double check when I get back home and pm you if that's OK?

Again many thanks, Victor

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:
slparry wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mygeTPWUhqY

Steve

Hu Steve,

That's most kind of you.

I've rekeyed an R11S barrel before and it seems to be the same principle.

If the open ended ones are the end ones I should only need 2x #3.

Sprinfs i have, a few were missing but they look the same as the spare R11S ones so should be fine.

I'll double check when I get back home and pm you if that's OK?

Again many thanks, Victor

Cool, I have wafers coming out of my ears :D Must do at least three sets a week and there's always spares. The end ones that you've pictured on the other hand are like hobby horse doodah .... if you lose them it's a new lock ... so be careful they don't become "ping-f*ckit" parts and fly off into the ether under spring tension.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Rebuild, when doing the springs, inside a large clear plastic bag so if any bits go flying they are still inside the bag.
John M

Betelguese

Postby Betelguese » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

I'm probably going to want to do this on the panniers I just acquired for my r11s. I have one flat key that fits them. What bits do I need to get to code them to my bike key? I guess just the correct tumblers? Thanks.

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 am

Steve, thanks again for the help, all sorted now! :D

@anyone doing this, please not that the second last slot (before the retainer clip) should be left EMPTY! Otherwise you will not be able to get your key out and will have to disassemble the entire lock mechanism... Don't ask how I know this :oops:

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 am

Betelguese wrote:I'm probably going to want to do this on the panniers I just acquired for my r11s. I have one flat key that fits them. What bits do I need to get to code them to my bike key? I guess just the correct tumblers? Thanks.

Correct! I have a few spares, let me know if needed!

Return to “Bits'n'bobs for sale”