WTB: R12ST European headlight (right hand drive)

PRIVATE sales only please.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

victorlaszlo

WTB: R12ST European headlight (right hand drive)

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:53 pm

My dad imported an ST to Sweden but needs to change headlight for the MOT there. Anyone have a European headlight lying around for a sale or swap with the UK headlight, or can point me in the direction for one?

Please help!!!

popsky

Re: WTB: R12ST European headlight (right hand drive)

Postby popsky » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I think your looking at a very difficult buy from the UK, would in not be best to try European based EBay, there’s more chance from German ebay for beemers anyway. Good luck
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 pm

popsky wrote:I think your looking at a very difficult buy from the UK, would in not be best to try European based EBay, there’s more chance from German ebay for beemers anyway. Good luck

Unless someone imported one to the UK :)

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Are they 2 different headlights or can the ST headlight have the beam changed a la R1100S?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:29 pm

dave the german wrote:Are they 2 different headlights or can the ST headlight have the beam changed a la R1100S?

The parts fiche lists 2 different ones, one shown as 'left hand', presumably a left-dipper for the UK.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

milleplod wrote:
dave the german wrote:Are they 2 different headlights or can the ST headlight have the beam changed a la R1100S?

The parts fiche lists 2 different ones, one shown as 'left hand', presumably a left-dipper for the UK.

Pete

I was assuming the reflector was different, anyone knows if it can changed without a new reflector?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 pm

How does the MoT in respect of the headlight get done over there? This shows the current UK requirements here, and it might be that Sweden simply 'flips' it, as it were -

Beam.gif
Beam.gif (359.94 KiB) Viewed 10845 times

It might be possible to get the beam of a UK headlight to meet the Swedish requirements simply by using the adjusters at the back of the headlight, but I'm not sure just how much adjustment there is. Many moons ago, when 'parallel' imports were very popular here in the UK, they were sold with their Euro spec headlights still fitted, and black tape stuck on the outer glass to prevent beam kickup on the 'wrong' side - perfectly legal, and my Suzuki passed its MoT without a problem. It may be nowdays though that such simple fixes are outlawed!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:24 pm

milleplod wrote:How does the MoT in respect of the headlight get done over there? This shows the current UK requirements here, and it might be that Sweden simply 'flips' it, as it were -

Beam.gif

It might be possible to get the beam of a UK headlight to meet the Swedish requirements simply by using the adjusters at the back of the headlight, but I'm not sure just how much adjustment there is. Many moons ago, when 'parallel' imports were very popular here in the UK, they were sold with their Euro spec headlights still fitted, and black tape stuck on the outer glass to prevent beam kickup on the 'wrong' side - perfectly legal, and my Suzuki passed its MoT without a problem. It may be nowdays though that such simple fixes are outlawed!

Pete

There are adjusters? For old Vespas that barely glow they just pass through but this is a registration MOT so seems more difficult. They said tape wasn't an option :(

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:25 pm

I wonder if you could shield the lamp with tin foil wrapped around it..?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:27 pm

This pic (of a broken ST headlight!) shows the 2 adjusters, I've highlighted them. One does the up/down movement, the other is for side to side adjustment. It may be that with enough fiddling, the beam meets the MoT requirements.

Headlight.jpg
Headlight.jpg (245.28 KiB) Viewed 10842 times

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Definitely worth trying, thanks! What are your thoughts on tinfoil shielding the bulb?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:49 am

victorlaszlo wrote:Definitely worth trying, thanks! What are your thoughts on tinfoil shielding the bulb?

I know that the UK requirements for beam throw were easily achievable on a Euro-spec headlamp simply by, for example, sticking tape to the headlight glass - that was because the regulations didn't specify just how the standard was met. Things might have changed now though. I don't see why shielding with foil wouldn't actually do the job of shaping the beam correctly - its whether or not the local legislation would allow it and, of course, anything put into the headlight would be clearly visible to a tester through the clear glass.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

The guy doing my ITV test puts the light box in front of the bike.

It clearly shows the beam , flat 90% of the spread, but a bit of a sweep on the left , that determines that it is UK light ...
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:23 pm

GerryB wrote:The guy doing my ITV test puts the light box in front of the bike.

It clearly shows the beam , flat 90% of the spread, but a bit of a sweep on the left , that determines that it is UK light ...

Is this for a 1100s?
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 pm

dave the german wrote:

Is this for a 1100s?

Yes Dave .

I'm busy tomorrow , thursday I'll strip the plastics off and see if I can adjust the light as per the hand book .
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Return to “Bits'n'bobs for sale”