WANTED: R1100S Side Stand

PRIVATE sales only please.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

WANTED: R1100S Side Stand

Postby jeznewsome » Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 pm

Looking for a Side Stand - ideally one of the longer ones Sports Suspension or Boxer Cup Rep.

Or anything considered as if I can't get a long one I'll extend one.

Looking for something in the UK if possible. I'll try Motorworks again tomorrow, I know that they have normal ones but they took mu number and haven't been back to me about a longer one.

Anyone extended one in the past and any advice?

Thanks

SP250

Re: WANTED: R1100S Side Stand

Postby SP250 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:48 am

Jez

I have the shorter GS Paralever torque arm on mine, but didn't put a longer side stand on it.
Is yours the longer shock as well, because mine is at a slightly more canted over angle when parked, but it's fine?
Can do a pic if you want.
Just thinking about saving you some hassle is all.
John M

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am

I have a short paralever arm and a long shock. The bike looks like it is leaned over too far and looks far better with a 1/2 piece of wood underneath the foot of the stand. I have an angle gauge somewhere so will actually take some measurements vertical and on the stand in the next couple of days.

A pic of yours would be great if you are able to take one. Thanks

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Got hold of Motorworks again today and after a couple of hours they called back saying that they have found a 'long' stand :D, which is winging it's way to me.

Thankfully no longer a need for cutting a welding a normal one.

simon

Postby simon » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:46 pm

No doubt the new starter the old hand at motorworks kept sending to the stores for a long stand got tired of ignoring his superior, thinking it was one of those things that happens to new starters, and actually went to the stores!

My previous bike had a long stand and a short blue bottom and so stood too much to the right.
Another nearby member had a long yellow bottom but a short stand and so leant too much to the left.
After both of us thinking "that's not right" we got together with "I'll give you mine if you give me yours".
Result was a happy medium for both of us, neither leaning too much to the left or to the right :D
Simon, now with a third
Yellow '98 R1100S
(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 am

simon wrote:No doubt the new starter the old hand at motorworks kept sending to the stores for a long stand got tired of ignoring his superior, thinking it was one of those things that happens to new starters, and actually went to the stores!

My previous bike had a long stand and a short blue bottom and so stood too much to the right.
Another nearby member had a long yellow bottom but a short stand and so leant too much to the left.
After both of us thinking "that's not right" we got together with "I'll give you mine if you give me yours".
Result was a happy medium for both of us, neither leaning too much to the left or to the right :D

Simon, that's just asking for abuse but I've just finished work and can't be ar$ed to think of owt!! :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:36 am

Jez

PM me your email address and I'll send over the pic of mine (standard stand length, shorter GS link) as I cannot post pics on here.
And before Steve, Paul or anyone else shows me how to do it again - I do everything you all / the instructions say, but they still won't post.
John M

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Stand arrived from motorworks today :D It needs painting but otherwise in good condition and is noticeably longer so looking forward to get it fitted.
ImageDSC_0070 1 by jeznewsome, on Flickr

Took the old one off, with the Csk Bolt coming free easily :D

Then the kicker....... the thread in my existing stand is very fine (M10x1) and the replacement 'long stand' M10 but much coarser....... :evil:

And to cheer me up further it would appear that a new part from the stealer is going to cost more than the stand did! I can't work out why BMW would change the thread?

At least the time it'll take to get the bolt from the stealer should give me time to make a decent job of painting the 'long stand'

jeznewsome

Re: SORTED: R1100S Side Stand

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Job Jobbed, thanks to Chester Motorrad actually being open, answering their phone and even more remarkably having the required pivot bolt in stock (along with the stand switch circlip/lock ring). Parts guy, Gary, was a bit cheesed off to hear that he was working when neither Bowker (Preston) or Williams (Manchester) were open :)

Comparison shot of the lean with the standard and then with the sport sidestand

If anyone else does this (either way) then it makes sense to try to get hold of a stand that has the pivot bolt - due to the different thread pitches

Return to “Bits'n'bobs for sale”