What content do you want from this site?

What do you think of the site? Anything you'd like to add? Please let us know.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

cantalibre

Postby cantalibre » Thu May 21, 2009 11:46 am

Following on from the above post (excellent), may I suggest also that a FAQ How To Do Stuff Forum could include a step-by-step photo guide, a'la Haynes' style? Re the photo size question, I know from experience on other sites that it's possible to either code the site to limit the size of uploaded pics, or to install a free modification to the coding in order to achieve the same. PS: I use Imageshack for picture uploads, and the limit is 1.6mb; anything attempted above this will be refused; there are drop-down options to specify the size, and any large picture will be downsized to the option specified. It's all pretty auto. HTH
Low IQ, so chauffeuring jobs only

User avatar England
Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu May 21, 2009 11:59 am

Hosting FAQ/how-to's would not technically be difficult, but the obstacles which leap to mind are:

1) who is going to generate and then verify the material?
- OK, I guess we could ask for volunteers to submit pictures of jobs they undertake, but still somebody would have to verify that what was being described was actually kosher.
2) how do we stop Boxertrix being the target of litigation when somebody sues us because they were following our instructions and something went horribly and expensively wrong? (see #1 above :wink: )

I do like the idea of the model update timeline (just for the R1100S, since I think there was just one version of the 1200S and HP2S to date) listing changes to spec such as shock lengths etc. Any volunteers to knock out the text for that?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Paul,

There are many of us here who have got something from the site and would be (should be?) prepared to give something back to the community. There are doubtless a few how to's already written and posted in Tech - a recent one for HIDs springs to mind. Let's be honest, many of the jobs are described in manuals so they could easily be checked against the 'authorised' way of doing stuff. Outside of that many of the jobs have been tackled by enough people to collaborate and review them to ensure any documented methods have not missed any useful or important steps.

As a tech writer/author/pedantic sort I'd be willing to review anything submitted to make sure it makes sense, has some sort of style and is understandable in English. Maybe it is possible to host these as pdfs rather than as posts or other html, which may reduce size incurred from photos and do away with pic hosting conflicts etc.? I've even got a ligit pdf-creator!

Litigation issues are mitigated by statements around it being 'guidance', use correct tools, own competence etc. - 'just because you read it on the web does not make it real'. Indeed, here's one from another site I've recently been hitting on. A big FAQ page and a smaller one for other snippets of information not quite worthy of an FAQ or How To.
Last edited by Me-109 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-11S owner; now SV-S owner.

Where's me heated grips gone?

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:24 pm

enough people to collaborate and review the ensure any documented methods have not missed any useful or important steps! :?

I'd be willing to review anything submitted to make sure it makes sense, has some sort of style and is understandable in English :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Version 1.1 posted above.

See - it works!

:wink:

:oops:
Ex-11S owner; now SV-S owner.

Where's me heated grips gone?

cantalibre

Postby cantalibre » Thu May 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Simple disclaimer - eg 'At your own risk; we cannot be held responsible for blah blah blah...'

Most of the stuff I'm keen on is pretty basic anyway and I've had much help in this regard - fitting a Ventura rack, c/w photos; fitting Bar Backs; how to make the pillion passenger more comfy...that kind of stuff. I don't want to strip an engine.

Great Britain
boxerscott

How to..

Postby boxerscott » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Bearing in mind this is a no subscription site :D and the amount of info on "how to" is readily available in Clymer ,Haynes, Manufacturer workshop cds etc is it justifable :?: or is the problem feedback from site users on Boxertech ? or should some folk just be wiser to take their problem to a bmw expert and pay for it? If I could answer and offer a solution to a problem posted on boxertech I would be only to willing to share my experiences. I have seen posts on www.ukgser.com ( Technical and Rider) asking for "how to" and when perfectly polite and correct solutions are offered which involves a bit of expenditure the question "how to" still comes back (waiting for a pallatable answer?). Some people are just peasants and a good technical section is wasted on them and imo not justifiable.
I am the Village Green Preservation Society. God Bless Strawberry Jam and all it`s variety.

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 am

If I've understood your point, I think you're creating an issue here when one doesn't exist.
If people ask for advice and get no replies, then surely it means that no-one knows or isn't willing to offer it. If a reply is forthcoming, then I would assume that the opposite applies.
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

cantalibre

Postby cantalibre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:02 am

Following on from Boxerscott, not everyone has (or wants) access to a Haynes/Clymer manual. Further, many regularly-discussed BMW 'problems' are not covered by any manual - how to repair those annoying windscreen cracks, for example, or how to stop pillions sliding around on the standard seat. Just two examples of 'unique to the R' niggles. I think the forum here is useful for getting possible answers to such questions, whether or not people do anything about the 'problem' - after all, BMNiggles are usually things you learn to live with.

But I'm for a technical forum, if only for the 'My BMW does that, as well!' replies.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:24 am

Boxered wrote:Maybe a "rogues gallery" for trixters and therir bikes?

Steve

I think some sort of members gallery would be quite usefull, it would be nice to be able to put faces to names and great for new members contemplating attending something like the Welsh weekend or the Hawes weekend, might even encorage more to attend.........having said that it might have the opposite effect.... :lol:

Seriously, maybe this could replace the not so current present gallery?, a sort of members pictorial reference?

Steve

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:04 pm

Or we could have a picture of each of us, sitting next to our rear shocks - and add them to the "list" :roll:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

User avatar England
das bike u1100s

Postby das bike u1100s » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:24 pm

this could rebound on you Al, maybe an excuse for a key bored warrior to take the pre load out of you :roll:
Never touched it, honest!
2004. 2004 bcr i now believe in the virgin birth!
2001 ducati st4 (2 12000 ml services, the bank manager called it a day )
2000 yamaha fazer 600 ( born again )
1982 kwacker 1000j2 ( they did away with the kick start )

Return to “Over to you...”