I’m officially middle aged apparently

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

I’m officially middle aged apparently

Postby f90x » Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 am

I couldn’t ride the 12S any more after 11yrs of ownership but I just can’t get away from that magnificent engine.

I Live in France now and have bought here but prices are much more than in the U.K. 2011 and 27k miles. £8500. I could get the same for £7k in the U.K.

ImageUntitled by . ., on Flickr
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

ianc53

Re: I’m officially middle aged apparently

Postby ianc53 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:14 pm

Have fun, they really are very good!
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Al

Postby Al » Thu May 25, 2023 1:53 pm

At 64 I’ll settle for middle aged! I started on the same route as you a few years ago when my 1100s became painful to ride, I have had surgery on both knees and had nerves rerouted in both arms and despite raising the bars and lowering the footrests I still wasn’t comfortable on the bike and like you loved the Boxer engine and switched to a GS, really liked the GS experience, great all round bike, comfortable for both of us and surprisingly nimble on the road, after 4-5 yrs I found I was struggling with the high up weight at low speeds, especially two up, I had the bike lowered and was ok for a while but still found it hard work manoeuvring at low speeds and last year I switched again, I test rode both the RS & R 1200 LC, and decided the R was better for me as the riding position is a bit more upright than the RS, I know the weight is the same as the GS but it feels a lot lower down, I have lowered pegs and fitted a high seat to help the knees but can get both feet flat on the floor which helps, downside is my wife feels a bit cramped on the back as the bike is a bit more compact than the GS.

Enjoy the GS, as Ian says, they are really good, Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu May 25, 2023 6:52 pm

Nice looking example Steve, hope you’re enjoying it and riding it around La Belle France :D
I’m still persevering with my 12s, bloody uncomfortable sometimes but utterly brilliant on a Boxertrix weekend as you know :wink:. My weekend was 681 miles door to door with I suppose 75% superb the rest being stuck in traffic (horrific) the following weekend me and K rode to Bridgwater to visit K’s mum in the hospital, the A39 was 35mph all the way there and back, double whites, tractors and the obligatory 30 mph drivers :roll: I’m looking at the R1250r but I don’t think I could part with the 12s, if I did manage to have both then the 12s would be minted to an inch of the paint being worn off lol.
If you ever get back to the U.K. and a BT event is on do try to attend m8. In the meantime enjoy those glorious roads.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri May 26, 2023 8:07 am

Al wrote:At 64 I’ll settle for middle aged! I started on the same route as you a few years ago when my 1100s became painful to ride, I have had surgery on both knees and had nerves rerouted in both arms and despite raising the bars and lowering the footrests I still wasn’t comfortable on the bike and like you loved the Boxer engine and switched to a GS, really liked the GS experience, great all round bike, comfortable for both of us and surprisingly nimble on the road, after 4-5 yrs I found I was struggling with the high up weight at low speeds, especially two up, I had the bike lowered and was ok for a while but still found it hard work manoeuvring at low speeds and last year I switched again, I test rode both the RS & R 1200 LC, and decided the R was better for me as the riding position is a bit more upright than the RS, I know the weight is the same as the GS but it feels a lot lower down, I have lowered pegs and fitted a high seat to help the knees but can get both feet flat on the floor which helps, downside is my wife feels a bit cramped on the back as the bike is a bit more compact than the GS.

Enjoy the GS, as Ian says, they are really good, Al.

Thanks Al. Sounds like I’m following in your footsteps. I’m 58 in a couple of months with various joint and nerve ‘issues’. I actually sold my beloved 11S for the 12S 12yrs ago because of a hip problem that has ‘conveniently’ returned just as I’ve bought the GS :roll:
I’ve gone for the GS as it was always a scratch to itch. I’ll keep it for as long as I can hold it upright and then in all likelihood go the ‘R’ route.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri May 26, 2023 8:11 am

popsky wrote:Nice looking example Steve, hope you’re enjoying it and riding it around La Belle France :D
I’m still persevering with my 12s, bloody uncomfortable sometimes but utterly brilliant on a Boxertrix weekend as you know :wink:. My weekend was 681 miles door to door with I suppose 75% superb the rest being stuck in traffic (horrific) the following weekend me and K rode to Bridgwater to visit K’s mum in the hospital, the A39 was 35mph all the way there and back, double whites, tractors and the obligatory 30 mph drivers :roll: I’m looking at the R1250r but I don’t think I could part with the 12s, if I did manage to have both then the 12s would be minted to an inch of the paint being worn off lol.
If you ever get back to the U.K. and a BT event is on do try to attend m8. In the meantime enjoy those glorious roads.

Ah thanks Phil. Yeah I actually kept it in the garage and just looked at it for two years before I forced myself to sell it. As I mentioned to Al I shall inevitably be going the ‘R’ route at some stage. No LC’s for me though I think. I can’t be doing with all that ‘return to dealer’ stuff. Maybe I’ll make it for a Welsh weekend some time but in the mean time I have many many routes to explore here :D
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri May 26, 2023 8:12 am

ianc53 wrote:Have fun, they really are very good!

Yep just my 200 mile ride home from the seller in the filthiest weather we’ve seen this year proved that :shock:
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat May 27, 2023 4:11 pm

I always laugh at the "GS Bleuch! - everyone's got one!" brigade.......................

There is a reason for the popularity - stuningly capable bikes.

The latest ones with the electronic shocks are getting a bit of a panning just now, so having the older simpler ones is a bonus I reckon.

The older R1200GS, R1200R are fantastic do-it-all bikes for not a lot of money.

Enjoy!
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon May 29, 2023 5:13 pm

Blackal wrote:I always laugh at the "GS Bleuch! - everyone's got one!" brigade.......................

There is a reason for the popularity - stuningly capable bikes.

The latest ones with the electronic shocks are getting a bit of a panning just now, so having the older simpler ones is a bonus I reckon.

The older R1200GS, R1200R are fantastic do-it-all bikes for not a lot of money.

Enjoy!

Absolutely. The stigma in the UK is strong for sure. Not so much in France. I'd have bought one in the UK but felt the disdain. Over here, no-one appears to give a damn and just sees it as a very capable bike. I would consider a late 1200LC but they'll never be a 1250 in my garage but you are correct, the simpler air/oil bikes are the most desirable as a long term option. An 'R' is on the cards as soon as I can't cope with the size of this.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Return to “Boxerpix”