I know which I'd have. :)
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Me too, the lines of the R are just so much cleaner and uncluttered, the bike looks cleaner and lighter. I definitely think it proves the transatlantic divide exists more strongly then ever.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:23 pm

KenG wrote:
BMbler wrote:
Herb wrote:A very limited sample of opinion here and on Pelican, but us Brits seem to dislike it and our American cousins seem to love it. (Generally)

Perhaps it was designed with the help of US focus groups?

Focus shmockus, rather BM (if I was after such machine)- I'd get MT09 by Yamaha :roll:

have you rode the mt09,,,,,,,,,,,, i have.
it's a rev'y , twitchy throttled, wheelie in 3rd hooligan toy with no top end.
it's a commuter bike with a back pack, and the thoughts of it with 3 luggage and touring europe is a no-no.

there is no comparison between the two bikes. :lol:

With all respect, if the new Beemer is designed to carry luggage, the cat and the kitchen sink I think that may not be high on the list of would be cafe racer owners.

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:36 am

Seems they've played safe.
16,000 euro's I heard.
I'd have one of these and save myself 5 grand

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:51 am

I'm going to have to blag a go of a MT-09. My last Yamaha (Fazer thou) was a blast to ride and unbelievably competent.

Noo-one would buy a smaller capacity boxer. The old 850 is not a popular bike.

For the average bike buying punter you need to be knocking out 100hp+ middleweights. And cheaply. How many F800S do you see knocking about?

BMW seem to be in a slightly odd position at present with a lack of good performing offerings in some of the higher volume classes.
Gary

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:29 pm

You are allowed to disagree. :)

The prototype heavily pushed the character and history, this mildly rehashed R1200R, does nothing for me.

To be totally honest, cafe racers need to really be built in the shed, that thing doesn't even have clip-ons or ace bars.

Maybe I am just getting old and cynical, but I just see this as a cynical bit of marketing, but the comments about the reception of the bike in the US make sense.

BMW want to shift metal, and considering the success of the street triple BMW are going to want to be in on that action.
I'm not sure that the boxer is the engine configuration to do this, although a nice light balance shaft equipped 8-900cc liquid cooled motor pushing about 100BHP with a nice balance of revving smoothly and good torque would be an interesting propostition.
Maybe there is also the idea of a triple based on the K motor.

I really hope they can shake up the market like what they did with the S1000RR.

As for the F800, I am too apathetic about the bike to offer any opinion. The mini tourer one seems a good idea, but 80HP is a bit marginal 2up with luggage. (based on my experience with TRX850s).

Its all pie in the sky, but I stick to the opinion the the 9T will not be worth any premium over the R1200R.
Gary

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:52 pm

conkerman wrote:You are allowed to disagree. :)

...... a nice light balance shaft equipped 8-900cc liquid cooled motor pushing about 100BHP with a nice balance of revving smoothly and good torque would be an interesting propostition.

Mmm. Sounds good. Might even get away without a balance shaft.

Bmw have historically struggled with rpm due to valve gear issues. What you are describing would necessarily need revs (a blower would not give the sensation you're describing).

Would they find a solution to the valve gear/engine width compromise? Desmo?

Would need to be 170kg max.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:21 pm

:? :? :?

I can't imagine under what circumstances I would need one. :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:12 am

Sold for US$ 480,000 inc. premium :shock:

Return to “Boxerpix”