Called in to look at this.

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

madthemad

Called in to look at this.

Postby madthemad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Having worked with Lightnings at Binbrook I took this today and memories came flooding back.

Nil Desperandum

gus

Postby gus » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Nice.
My all time favourite jet aircraft. I would love to see one fly again.
Gus

madthemad

Postby madthemad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:16 pm

The only place you can see them fly is South Africa I think. Not allowed here in UK. But I think at Bruntingthorpe they do engine runs on the taxiway. Look up English Electric Lightning Appreciation Group on Google. :D
Nil Desperandum

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:24 am

Cape Town Airport is where the company is based. They fly the 2 seat trainer.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:22 am

And it has just been re-commissioned and flown again since a couple of years ago when they were grounded.
John M

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 pm

If I'm not mistaken, That's Castlairs' 'gate-guard' at Trebrown, Liskeard . Took an Agusta A109E Power in there (my instructor was P1) for servicing once. I seem to remember a power-line was strung at about 100ft or so above the valley floor from one side to the other. Made the approach 'interesting'. :shock:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:07 pm

I remember them being scrambled from RAF Leuchars when I were a lad. In the middle of the night, it was a scary but exhilarating noise. Occasionally we they would release a photo of a Russian Bear they had intercepted over the North Sea; usually with a Russian waving back from one of the windows. Serious war games.

They were impressive at the annual air display, climbing vertically from the end of the runway until out of sight - just the noise left as evidence of its existence.

The coolest jet aircraft ever (IMHO).

Anyone know what mark that is in the picture? Dredging the deepest corners of my aircraft-spotting youth, I think it's a mark VI (fins on the underbelly bulge).

Edit - except they were designated F.6 not mark VI - I had to look it up (could I be turning into James May?)

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:34 pm

I remember seeing an F mk6 probably from 11 Squadron do a high speed pass at Biggin hill in the days when you could drop in to the valley and pop up over the hedge.
Thats exactly what he did. Over the road, round a double decker bus and down the centreline at about 500kts. Then lit the burners, stood it on its tail and climbed vertical, topping out at 18000ft
Awsome piece of kit
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Return to “Boxerpix”