Another John Clark loan bike!

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Man-of-Mystery

Another John Clark loan bike!

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Road this home today. It was a surprisingly nice ride.

I don't get on with the LCD display. Most of the time it's black on brown and scarcely visible...

... and of course I don't get on with the single indicator button, finding it a strain on my old arthritic thumb. Perhaps the most alarming thing, however, is the kick to the left when you blip the throttle. I don't know if this was due to the way this particular bike was set up, or is a characteristic of the model, but it's a long time since I felt a boxer yaw in that way. Other than that, it was a pleasure to ride.
07 R1200S

Love your enemies - it'll drive the bastards crazy!

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:39 pm

I felt the same with the dash on the test ride, but 1200 miles on I am very used to the display and its fine. There is a brightness setting if its too dim for you.

The computer does so much, it takes a while to work it all out - but much if its a loaner !

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:10 pm

andy griff wrote:I felt the same with the dash on the test ride, but 1200 miles on I am very used to the display and its fine. There is a brightness setting if its too dim for you.

The computer does so much, it takes a while to work it all out - but much if its a loaner !

Yes, I felt it might have been worthwhile to have a read through the manual to see what was what, but it was just a case of jump-on-and-go.
07 R1200S

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 pm

What did you think of those "funny" forks?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:52 pm

dave the german wrote:What did you think of those "funny" forks?

Same as those on an R Nine T aren't they? Didn't really make an impression one way or the other.
07 R1200S

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:43 am

Conventional forks were the one thing I didn't like on the RS
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:10 pm

Had one for the day on Saturday along with a F800R. The R12R had a real torque reaction thing going on, some right handers it needed a good counter steer push to get it turned. Not all the time, I think it depended on revs and possibly the road surface. Anyone had the same with the RS (because that is very nice 8)) and I'm tempted?

A good bike on the whole and for once a bike that I felt it was a little to short for me (they do a higher version), plus it would need a fairing for what I want it for. No issues with the forks Dave, but I ride an old Bandit daily and have got used to 'em by now. It's only after a long weekend with the R12S that I get the funny front end thing again :?

Liked the F800, good bike and handled very well.

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:48 am

Hi TC. I'm glad I wasn't alone in noticing that torque. Remarkably nice-looking bike, but I thought BMW had solved that particular feature/problem.

There's an urban story going round that when various police forces changed from Norton Commandos to Boxers, a large number of coppers crashed on left-handers, because they opened the throttle too soon and too harshly. That's going back a few decades.

I love the bike's lightness. If BMW dealt with that torque, and gave me the indicator buttons on each handlebar, I would retire Captain Black buy one.
Last edited by Man-of-Mystery on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
07 R1200S

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 am

Man-of-Mystery wrote:
dave the german wrote:What did you think of those "funny" forks?

Same as those on an R Nine T aren't they? Didn't really make an impression one way or the other.

I found them way too soft on the R9T I test rode. The S1000R didn't have the same feeling (probably much firmer anyway plus the dynamic suspension helped).
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Return to “Boxerpix”