First ride for a while...

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

David_S_Walker

First ride for a while...

Postby David_S_Walker » Sat May 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Hello,

Took the R1200S out today - First real ride since last June when I temporarily hung up my helmet for gastric bypass surgery to tackle my worsening type II diabetes which has to all intents and purposes been kicked into touch for the time being...Maybe longer hopefully!

Really need to adjust the suspension quickly now as there is 7.5 stone less of me (or a small passenger) so it was a bit lively to say the least. :shock:

Anyhow whilst I wasn't riding it that didn't mean I wasn't buying it presents!

The most recent of which was a Corbin Smuggler trunk which I am really pleased with but it was horribly expensive and took 6 months to arrive. Not too everyones taste I expect but I like and thats what matters.

I also had to buy a new helmet! Down from a BMW 62/63 to a 58/59!

Needs a good detail clean especially the pipes but still a headturner

Best regards,

David
Last edited by David_S_Walker on Mon May 16, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

popsky

Postby popsky » Sat May 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Looks good David, your right about the smuggler not being to everyone's taste, but what does that matter if your happy.

I do like the Corbin seat (how do you get on with it ?), rear sets, heal guards and loads of other things, and is that 2 satnavs ? Overall a fine example of a very good motorcycle :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun May 15, 2016 9:41 am

I really like the black wheels. I'd like to do that to mine. Are they powder coated originals or did you get some black ones.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Sun May 15, 2016 10:22 am

Hello,

Thanks for your kind words. I think I have done all I want to do to it now by way of modifications and additions.

It's not 2 Sat Navs Phil - I don't have a great sense of direction though :D

It is a BMW Navigator IV in the centre of the headstock with the BMW R1200S specific mount.

On the left bar is the Power Commander LCD display. Coupled to it is the PC Quick Shift which is one of my favourite additions and a map switch giving me a standard map and a modification specific map which of course is my favourite.

On the right bar is my Go-Pro camera. Both of the mounted devives use proper mounts which I sourced from the USA after quite a bit of research!

I have always been a lover of Corbin seats. The one on the R1200S is quite hard to start with but with use it forms to your shape and is quite comfy. Since my intentional weight loss of 7.5 stone I do move front to back of it quite a bit wheras before I was pretty much wedged into the space between the rear rest and the tank :D. Coming down from a 44" waist to a 30" waist will have consequences I suppose!

It did come with silver wheels from new but after a patient wait I managed to source first a rear wheel and after a few more months a front wheel. Thankfully I sold the originals to a fellow Boxertrix member and nearly recouped my costs. I think they really set it off well.

I suppose the only things I would still like to do is get the fuel guage & computer working but BMW's Computer says "No" and has been discussed many times on here and perhaps the GP dashboard that was available for these when new. I think still is for the K1300S bikes but that will be horribly expensive and probably won't be possible again becasue the BMW computer wil probably say "No".

Best regards,

David
Last edited by David_S_Walker on Sun May 15, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nicholsonj2252

Postby nicholsonj2252 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:41 am

David_S_Walker wrote:Hello,

Thanks for your kind words. I think I have done all I want to do to it now by way of modifications and additions.

It's not 2 Sat Navs Phil - I don't have a great sense of direction though :D

It is a BMW Navigator IV in the centre of rhw headstock with the BMW R1200S specific mount.

On the left bar is the Power Commander LCD display. Coupled to it is the PC Quick Shift which is one of my favourite additions and a map switch giving me a standard map and a modification specific map whihc of course is my favourite.

On the right bar is my Go-Pro camera. Both of the mouted devives use proper mounts which I sourced from the USA after quite a bit of research!

I have always been a lover of Corbin seats. The one on the R1200S is quite hard to start with but with use it forms to your shape and is quite comfy. Since my intentional weight loss of 7.5 stone I do move front to back of it quite a bit wheras before I was pretty much wedged into the space between the rear rest and the tank :D. Coming down from a 44" waist to a 30" waist will have consequences I suppose!

It did come with silver wheels from new but after a patient wait I managed to source first a rear wheel and after a few more months a front wheel. Thankfully I sold the originals to a fellow Boxertrix member and nearly recouped my costs. I think they really set it off well.

I suppose the only things I would still like to do is get the fuel guage & computer working but BMW's Computer says "No" and has been discussed many times on here and perhaps the GP dashboard that was available for these when new. I think still is for the K1300S bikes but that will be horribly expensive and probably won't be possible again becasue the BMW computer wil probably say "No".

Best regards,

David

Hi David ,

Would be very interested in some more details on the PC Quick Shift . Looking on the Power Commander website it does not list a quick shift for the R1200S so I assume you have a custom set up ?

Cheers

John

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Sun May 15, 2016 11:02 am

Hello John,

It is a sublime addition.

To start with you will need a PC III system on the bike.

Then you need a Power Cammander Multi Hub and then the Quickshifter (QS) itself.

Connect it all up. The QS is either a Pull or Push type - I can't remember which off the top of my head - I think it is "Pull". You then need to cut into the gear change connecting rod and fit the QS into this to ensure that the shift still works.

I then down loaded the software which I found on the internet for the Hub & the QS onto a laptop and then load it into the PC III and that is about it.

The Hubs are around £120 usually available on eBay (Most liklely in the USA) and the QS is usually available on there as well. New they are around £180 but there are second hand ones about.

I think tha there is also a set up for the PC V which may be different or perhaps easier to install?

I am pretty sure it won't work as a stand alone device.

I also have the PC III LCD display which allows you to set the kill time on the QS (That is the time the throttle is cut on upshifts). I am still experimenting with that. I have connected also a Map switch which I have 2 maps for - A standard map and then a full power (Mod specific) one. This plugs into the hub and again needs software which you can download from the internet.

It makes a great addition and the upshifts become seamless. What's not to like when the throttle is pinned and you just change gear - The exhaust makes a lovely flat noise as you go up the box on the changes :D .

As this is quite an old set up Dynojet in the UK's website doesn't list the software for the hub and the QS but it is out there and Google is your friend. They will source the bits for you but of course you will pay retail price.

Best regards,

David

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon May 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Ha John, I can see more mods coming!!!! :lol: You can also see what the bike looks like with black wheels
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Mon May 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Hello Dave,

Yes it is a long slippery slope......with no end in sight even though you think that will be the last one! :D

I think John has already struck a QS deal.......

Boys and their toys!

Best regards,

David

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Mon May 16, 2016 4:12 pm

I kinda like the Smuggler. Can you post pictures of the interior please?

I did not know they made a smuggler for the 12S so I bought a Hattech rack and use a couple of different Kreiga bags depending on how much crap I carry.

Cheers

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Mon May 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello,

I am away from the motorcycle right now. There are however pictures on their website which show it quite well. If you want any specifics I will take some when I am home in about 2 weeks as on my holidays!

If you want to know how much it cost me I will only reveal via PM :D . All I will say is you can't take it with you.....and I am now less and arm and a leg...

Best regards,

David

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Congratulations on the weight loss David, your health is more important than riding bikes, and glad you still can.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Mon May 16, 2016 5:36 pm

ianbcr wrote:Congratulations on the weight loss David, your health is more important than riding bikes, and glad you still can.

Hello,

Many thanks Ian. You are right - I have much better health now the Diabetes has all but been kicked into touch - Long may it continue and it is much easier riding the motorcycle now as well....without my passenger(!)

...however really need to get the Ohlins set up properly to compensate.

Best regards,

David

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:49 pm

ianbcr wrote:Congratulations on the weight loss David, your health is more important than riding bikes, and glad you still can.

I'll second that ..well done!! Beautifully presented bike..even down to shock cover :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

nicholsonj2252

Postby nicholsonj2252 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:29 pm

dave the german wrote:Ha John, I can see more mods coming!!!! :lol: You can also see what the bike looks like with black wheels

Dave - Quick Shift all fitted :-) just need to tweak the kill time now to get the smooth changes....

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun May 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Ha - that didn't take long :lol: There's some new carbon on mine!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Boxerpix”