Finally an Oil Head

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dark_knight87

Finally an Oil Head

Postby dark_knight87 » Mon May 16, 2016 12:44 pm

I have had an air head R80ST for a few years now and used a old Yamaha Tenere as a daily rider. A small electrical 'fire' put an end to the Tenere so have been using the car over the winter months.

Unfortunately a good friend passed away in February, he had a collection of bikes and one of them was this 2005 R1150R.

So, this is my my daily ride. My commute is around 25 miles each way using motorway, A and B roads and she handles everything with ease!

One fly in the ointment was that I was recently 'taken out' by a Nissan Qashqai on the M5/M6 link road. luckily it was only a low spped spill and the engine protection did a grand job with the rocker cover only sustaining a few scrapes.

She has just under 12k miles but I will do that again within the next year!

Happy days!

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon May 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Fantastic condition. Sorry about the way you received it though.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 pm

I just had one today as a loan bike while my Boxer Cup was serviced. I also have an 1150GS so it was interesting comparing it to that. Engine wise identical but the lower seat position was much more comfortable around town (especially having just ridden the S!). The bars felt a bit wider than they needed to be, I'd probably prefer the flatter Rockster bars, but it still handles superbly. I had some serious thoughts about switching my GS for an R afterwards!
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Return to “Boxerpix”