An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

... and the winner is a GS :D

Postby slparry » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 am

You have to feel sorry for Triumph, the GS just keeps nailing the top spot :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: ... and the winner is a GS :D

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Funnily enough, I had a test ride on a top of the range Tiger 1200 road version today. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage. I'm trying a GS for comparative purposes on Tuesday while my RS is being serviced, so I'll let you know whether the boys of Bike magazine have got their verdict right or not.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: ... and the winner is a GS :D

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:51 am

So... I test rode a Tiger 1200 followed a few days later by a GS TE. In my ever so humble opinion, there is not much of a difference in performance between them, not that I'd claim that I'm capable of reaching the ragged edge of the performance envelope of either. :wink:

The Tiger 1200 is a much smoother and quieter version of the Tiger explore I used to own. In some ways, it feels a bit too Honda-ish, by which I mean you sometimes feel like you are on an efficient appliance rather than a hairy chested motorbike. It is however a big leap forward over the old Explorer in terms of ergonomics. The controls for all of the toys are logically set up and located and I found myself adjusting the screen and suspension settings on the hoof without any issues. The GS boxer twin (which we all know and love) feels more gruff and involving, but objectively, I would be surprised if it is any quicker or more nimble than the Tiger.

Both bikes had a big colour TFT screen display, which I much prefer to the analogue clocks of old in terms of legibility and configurability, especially compared to the clocks on my RS, which are pretty poor. In terms of toys, they both had excellent quick shifters and auto blippers, but I would say the Triumph's gave marginally smoother changes. They both had electronically controlled suspension, with a wide range of settings which delivered easily discernible differences in ride experience. The heated saddle and electrically adjustable screen on the Triumph were great, but so also is the wonder wheel on the BMW for controlling the sat nav and TFT display options.

At the end of the day, I think you could choose either bike, based on your personal preference, without feeling as though you have made the wrong decision. I still have a soft spot for the Tiger, and if you held a gun to my head, I'd probably choose that. If you are in the market for a big adventure bike, you should certainly try both of the out before buying a GS because "all the magazines say it's the best".

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxerpix”