My 2004 R1100S Diary

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

R1100S

My 2004 R1100S Diary

Postby R1100S » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi All,

Just thought i'd make a diary of my new R1100S experience. I hope this is the right section.

Little admission to start... i'm not really a die-hard biker. If i'm getting my knee down it’s probably because i've fallen off. Bikes for me have to spark an aesthetic interest, irrespective of their capabilities. That's lost me a lot of friends on here already! Stick with me.

It all started with a Honda VFR400R (NC30) - it's what I did my 'direct access' test for - but it's far too tiny (I’m 6’1”) and I can't actually ride it for more than 15 mins before pain! It now resides indoors an ornament...

Then my second dream bike, my BMW K1 - but i'm scared to use it as parts are drying up, especially that irreplaceable fairing. It also has comedy luggage space. It’s a sport tourer that is rubbish at touring!

It too has become an ornament...

So bottom line, two bikes, and neither one I can actually use!

My mates have an annual European bike trips and I'd love to go along, so needed a usable bike, but one that sparks an interest to preserve.

I remembered this very press photo, and it’s been in the back of my mind for over a decade...

As usual, i'm a sucker for a good colour scheme... yellow wheels, chequers, top exit exhaust… all lovely. It must be a yellow wheel thing!

Had an eBay saved search for ages. Then, one cropped up in Peterborough, just up the road. I had the opportunity to inspect before bidding.

I didn't want a garage queen, I have two of those already and they just aren't usable. This bike was a good start. I think it lived on the street. Checked it over, all seemed good, no rattles, started on the button, engine dry of oil leaks. Non-ABS model so less to go wrong.

Usual eBay story, went over budget bidding after a few beers, but it’s all forgotten now.

I rode it home and the "intermittent speedo" as per the eBay add should of read “speedo doesn’t work at all”!

Got back, started to take it apart and make a snagging list. First thing on the list was that speedo which seems to be an R1100S tradition reading the threads on here.

Items missing from the toolkit ordered...

Selection of new bolts, trim and luggage rails purchased...

Corroded frame bolts replaced...

Service time; oil & filter...

Battery was cable tied in... badly. New rubber retaining strap ordered from BMW.

Speedo wiring checked for continuity and traced to this corroded multi-plug under the seat/side panel. Connector replaced and speedo operation restored.

Another really corroded multi-plug in the same rear wheel area; this time for the auxiliary DIN power socket. It’s a handy battery trickle charge point, so had to be fixed.

I purchased a section of good harness from Motor Works, cut out the old, installed the new...

... and back-sealed the plug. Something BMW should of done...

Three mounting screws had taken their toll on the number plate. Plus, no affiliation with "Preston Superbike" so off the plate came for a dealer plate...

The bike actually has a centre silencer delete pipe. This i'm happy with as it saves weight and sounds better. But unfortunately with said pipe you lose you centre stand rubber stop. So, my centre stand was hitting the paralever lower arm.

Decided to make my own stop... and while off, tidied up centre and side stands...

Then a set of rather expensive BMW boxes turned up... but they are very good condition and I needed them so what else are you to do?

Boxes hung at last...

Valet time, plastics 'restored' and a good polish...

And that's it really...

What do I have in store next? Well, nothing really. I'm not the type of expert rider to yearn for handling or power enhancements. The bike will simply be a case of keeping it well maintained, presentable and see where we are in ten years’ time. I think any BMW oil-head is an investment. I plan to use this thread to document that story. There are some minor cosmetic issues that still bug me but I have to get out my usual mindset with this one... It has to be used!

My thoughts on how it rides doesn’t mean much, but i'm happy. Loads of grunt and the boxer engine has character. The gearbox is just as agricultural as the K1... I thought that would be better being 15 years newer but it’s the same clunky old thing. I think the handlebars have been raised by poking the dampers through and mounting the clip-on grips above the yoke. This makes it easier on the arms and it’s just fine. Kind of fortunate really because if it was uncomfortable, i'd still want to keep it.

I have a French road trip coming up, so next update soon, hopefully glowing reports of excellent reliability and comfortable effortless cruising... hmmm we'll see! Thanks for reading.

James.
Last edited by R1100S on Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nab 301

Re: My 2004 R1100S Diary

Postby nab 301 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Interesting write up and you have the bike looking almost factory fresh! . The comparison between the gearbox on the K1 and the 11s is strange . There is at least one other K1 owner on here ( I think ) Maybe they can offer their comparisons too. I've always found My 11s gearbox to be good.
On the cllp on's ( handlebars ) over the years I've run standard , above the top yoke and above the top yoke + risers , I'm currently back to standard below the top yoke.. Could be worth trying for comparison , The higher bars for me never really suited the seat shape/ position, although I have lowered the footpegs.
Any chance of a write up on the other vehicle in the garage or at least a pic of the powerplant.. (in the "my other bikes a " section will be fine!)

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun May 19, 2019 7:21 pm

The bike is looking good. My BCR is undergoing cosmetic surgery as well. Did think about selling it but I know I would regret it. My only issue is space (or distinct lack of it). Look forward to reading the diary as it progresses
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Yogi Bear

Postby Yogi Bear » Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 am

Great report & a Lovely Bike :D
“Wrinkles merely indicate where smiles have been”
Mark Twain

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 am

Nice bike(s).

I've got a K1. I find the gear changes on it (and the old R1100S I had) to be fine, but I suppose it depends on what you're used to. Compared to a modern Japanese box with their 'snick snick' gearchanges they would probably feel agricultural. You do need a more 'positive' action in comparison.

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:50 am

Best colour, great write up, look forward to next instalment.
You must be single having a bike in the lounge on display, I can imagine my Mrs response :D

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:33 pm

At 6'1" I'd lower the pegs to get the benefit from the raised bars. It lessens the amount of knee and ankle bend required.

Oh yes and before someone ticks you off.

Air head is the old Boxer twin with push rod valves.
The 1100 S and others of that Ilk (R1150) are Oil Heads as they are AIr / Oil cooled. the Generation that came later -
the R1200 range are Hex Heads due to the shape of their Head covers

Confusing aint it :D
Last edited by The Teutonic Tangerine on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Phillip

Postby Phillip » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:20 pm

That cloud scheme has certainly grown on me; mine is all black.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Many colours suit the bike, but black seems the best of all to my eye.
I have a spare set of Tupperware and I have been meaning to get it changed from silver to black. Maybe something that has a hint of purple when it’s in bright sunlight. Seems like a winter job!

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's not an airhead, its an oilhead

R1100S

My 2004 R1100S Diary - April 2021

Postby R1100S » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi All,

Thought i'd do an update... from as far back as 2019 now.

Southern France 2019

The first trip to justify the purchase of the bike itself. Oh the memories from pre-lockdown!

Six days, 1348 miles on the clock, down to the area of Corps, France.

Some fantastic scenery on the way down...

Col de Rousset...

Télécombi du Mont-Rond Ski-lift at Col de La Faucille, Mijoux...

Couple of roads snow covered & freezing. Heart in the mouth riding for me...

At the hotel in Corps...

On the way back to Verdun...

Big thanks to my mates for kicking me up the ar5e and getting me out on two wheels. I'm not the biggest biker out there. Not going to lie, painful on the derrière, nerve racking to ride on ice, got a bit wet in places. However, you always look back fondly - no more so than in the current lockdown.

Bit of an issue to report...

Oil loss :shock:

It's absolutely fine below 60mph. It never lost a drop in the UK commuting I did pre-trip. However, start doing some high speed autoroute stuff, and the final drive gets an oil misting which will need looking at. You pull back the rubber boot and you get a discharge. At one point in France it looked so bad, I stopped at a "Le Halfords" type place and purchased some gear oil. It hardly took anything. It's amazing how far a little oil goes. Still not ideal though.

Final Drive Input Seal

First of all, determine if the oil is coming upstream or downstream. The drive tube was dry, so it must be coming out the final drive input seal.

Not the best of starts...

I removed and sent the final drive away to a small independent garage in Bury St. Edmunds who have all the tools for pre-loading.

Slight admission... the bike sat most of 2020 without a final drive! Lockdown killed any motorbike trips so it stayed SORN. :(

Only recently I purchased some new pivot bearings...

And installed...

All back together now with a drilled and tapped speed sensor thread. No oil loss to report but we are early days. I daren't pull back the rubber gaiter just in case :lol:

Misfire

The most stupid and rare of misfires, but one that annoyed me greatly. Sometimes, one in thirty, you'd get a tiny 'flutter' coming up from idle. So, waiting at traffic lights going to green, you twist the gas just prior to clutch release and it just misses the slightest beat. That's it!

Totally liveable with, but on the other had, totally annoying.

Absolutely fine under all other scenarios, it's just that rare occasion when taking up throttle. Can't explain it any better.

There is a bit of diagnostic kit called GS-911 which I'm sure is a familiar thing on here but the eBay prices have been pretty spectacular so far.

Before I start chucking parts at this thing to fix a random misfire, a few repairs & service items...

Valve Clearances

All checked...

Nearside inlets were tight. Not mega-tight or closed up, just below spec.

This might help things.

Choke Lever

Or fast idle lever to be correct.

This has never maintained its position. You raise it, let go and it falls back down. Very annoying!

Dissasembly...

Corrosion issues to the ball bearing retainer....

Luckily still available as an assembly from BMW...

Then, using a glove as a funnel (with a finger tip cut off), the cables were lubricated overnight.

Upon completion, throttle bodies synchronised...

They were both out of balance AND out of sync. Application of the throttle would adjust vacuum on one side only in the first instance.

All adjusted, vacuum levels the same and they rise in symmetry. Even the smallest of adjustments makes incredible changes to the engine note and behaviour. Already the bike seemed to rev more snappily.

So the random misfire taking up throttle... hasn't happened again yet. I think one throttle cable was opening up one butterfly before the other and making the bike hiccup. We shall see....

Front Brakes

Nothing exciting here; just pads and a fluid flush.

Had a nightmare bleeding the brakes as I accidentally let the reservoir drain. Doh!

Went through a whole can of brake fluid and just couldn't get a good enough lever. After much head scratching my conclusion (right or wrong) is this... The reservoirs must be shared with other BMWs of the era such as the RT. This means they are now at a different angle than originally designed. When on the centre stand, the master cylinder output banjo is actually uphill... an air trap.

After leaning the bike over fully to the nearside, I burped all this out...

Firm lever restored with all new fluid.

In the future I won't bleed on the centre stand!

Beeline Moto

I really fancied a Sat Nav for the bike but had two reservations...

a) the cost of dedicated motorcycle devices compared to car equivalents.
b) they look so cumbersome

Based on this, I heard about the Beeline Moto...

It's quite a cute and unobtrusive little thing, using the computing power of your phone with Google Maps. Essentially it's just an instruction relay screen and a lot cheaper for it! It's not hard wired too, which is also another ball ache avoided.

I started to think about ways to mount and found two pre-tapped threads under the top yoke...

Using these, and some stainless steels bits I had spare from an exhaust build, I planned to make a mounting bar like so...

Welding with stainless wire and argon (compared to mild and CO2)...

Painted matt black, and fitted with the Beeline 'mirror stem adapter'...

As unobtrusive as a sat nav could possibly be i'd say...

MoT 2021

I haven't MoT'd a bike since the K1 was last in service... 2013!

Annoyed me because even in April, damp and salted roads :evil:

Anyway; a triumphant pass. :cheers:

Using the Beeline through some random villages on the way back...

Sat nav worked a treat and a handy reminder of how much I love the bike.

Other News

The K1 rotted it's tank out which is annoying. This is the downside of a low mileage machine... they don't get the throughput of fuel - so water sits in the bottom. That was in the garage for fitting of the welded and repainted tank...

Pretty cool to get the two yellow wheeled machines together in the same photo. The K1 lives in the dining room normally... the ridiculous red ornament it is. One day, when it's tax exempt, the two machines will venture out, I promise.

Summer 2021

Ready for something in 2021 i'm sure...

All the best.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:05 pm

Nice write up. That reminds me, I must wash my bike.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:18 pm

Nice write up and definitely one of the better colour schemes for the S, pity I've not got space in the garage!! Or spare cash in the wallet.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:00 am

Thanks Jay - I enjoyed reading all that over breakfast - cheered me up out of a grim Monday morning for me.
John M

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am

Great write up. Best colour scheme of all I reckon, but I'm biased as I had one!

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Return to “Boxerpix”