No
20%
Don't know, Don't care
40%

Total votes: 5

twodear

New to the forum

Postby twodear » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:10 am

Sea Dog of UKGSer invited me over, so here goes. I currently ride an R1150GS ADV but as I plan to commit it to primarily dirty and muddy roads, I've purchased a 1999 R1100S to convert into a dedicated track bike.

Here are a few links (because I'm lazy and don't want to repost them all);
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42111&highlight=twodear

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91423

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239298
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:23 am

G'day!!

Sandbar

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:33 am

Deffo get rid of those crappy Avon tyres.They're not any good on the road so forget it on the track!Think I'd be running Diablo corsas/Pilot Power or Race or similar.
Get the back jacked up.Best way is with an Ohlins.The front is fine.
Keep us posted.The S makes an awesome track tool and you'll be impressing the jap warriors :lol:
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:19 am

Ah, that was quick, welcome, you should find this a good place for knowledge and Bollox. The Pelican board is also useful but a lot of them tend to be a bit up their own arses, if you know what I mean. Keep us posted on the progress of the S. Also worth looking at on the tyre front is the Metz' M1 and get a GS torque arm onto the S to sharpen up the steering.

Toodle Pip
:roll:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

twodear

Helpful advise

Postby twodear » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:15 pm

Thanks for your welcomes.

I also feel that the Avons are no good, but I was going to use them up first before trying to go ballistic. I've got a source of half used Bridgestone 002's available from a fellow Cafe Racer club member. He is riding 10's of seconds quicker than I'll see so I hope they'll still have quite a bit of life in them for my pace. There seems to be a common size for all the club members regardless of make of bike; 180/55 rear and 120/70 front.

I knew about the GS torque arm but didn't have a good plan for the rear shocker. I've also purchased a set of second hand Tokico 6-pot front calipers with adaptors. Overkill?
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

bigblackfalco

Re: Helpful advise

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:24 am

twodear wrote:Thanks for your welcomes.

I also feel that the Avons are no good, but I was going to use them up first before trying to go ballistic. I've got a source of half used Bridgestone 002's available from a fellow Cafe Racer club member. He is riding 10's of seconds quicker than I'll see so I hope they'll still have quite a bit of life in them for my pace. There seems to be a common size for all the club members regardless of make of bike; 180/55 rear and 120/70 front.

I knew about the GS torque arm but didn't have a good plan for the rear shocker. I've also purchased a set of second hand Tokico 6-pot front calipers with adaptors. Overkill?

I wouldn't even take a chance on the Avons.You'll save more by not throwing the bike down the track!Get the 002s on.Are you running the 5.5 rear rim?I would seriously consider the Ohlins with height adjuster as the gs torque arm alone will not get you round the fact that the std shocker fades real fast under pressure.
The front stoppers aint too bad with HH pads in,but quite a few people have gone the 6 pot route with AP and PVM.
Also get rid of the CAT and cans.Options are Laser,VDL,Remus,Leo,or excellent Arrow full system if you can find it.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

twodear

Re: Helpful advise

Postby twodear » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:00 pm

Are you running the 5.5 rear rim? I would seriously consider the Ohlins with height adjuster as the gs torque arm alone will not get you round the fact that the std shocker fades real fast under pressure.
The front stoppers aint too bad with HH pads in,but quite a few people have gone the 6 pot route with AP and PVM.
Also get rid of the CAT and cans.Options are Laser,VDL,Remus,Leo,or excellent Arrow full system if you can find it.
Bailey.[/quote]

Yep, 5.5in rim. The cat will be the first thing to go and here, Staintune pipes are real common as a replacement. As an alternative I have a local business called Redline Exhaust that I think is up to the task of building a custom set of pipes.

Thanks for the tips

Return to “Boxerpix”