F800S

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 am

Yeah, they may get round that in time, but unless they turn the cameras around..........

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:59 am

(are ye no' workin' the day? :wink: )
07 R1200S

Love your enemies - it'll drive the bastards crazy!

stoney

Postby stoney » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:11 pm

I've got one as a loaner at the mo whilke the GS is in for some work. What a great bike. Much more flickable than the 12S but also far less planted. The power is fantastic - seems to kick in very quickly and be almost linear. i like it - I like it a lot! I's like to persuade the missus to get one but she seems to love the GS.
Andy

Backmarker

Postby Backmarker » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Stevie wrote:Yeah, they may get round that in time, but unless they turn the cameras around..........

Went through a set of SPECS a few months ago. Can't remember where, but they had two forward facing and two rearward facing on entry to the roadworks (40 mph), two forward facing about a third of the way in, another pair of forward facing at two thirds, and a final 'set' of four (two forward, two rearward facing) at exit.

Not sure about the plan, but seemed to me that if you set the forward facing ones in 'stagger' they could have coped with the lane switcher - the rearwards one would certainly have covered bike plates. Not sure that they had the lane switching bike covered, but I didn't feel like experimenting.

What did surprise me was
a) The number of GPS equiped cars doing GPS not speedo 40 (seemed like more than 30-40% of total traffic), and
b) The number of cars (more than half a dozen in both directions) just piling through (aggressive tailgating/ undertaking/ cutting up etc) whose divers seemed to have no concerns about the cameras. (This was not London and the usual foreign registerd cars, this was 54/05/55/56 reg 'compact execs').

The drivers obviously felt they had a method for avoiding detection by even this number of cameras.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:28 pm

I dont think they can prosecute if you have switched lanes
Also, they dont set all teh cameras at once, they select pairings over set distance.
Its all getting a bit worrying isnt it
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:25 am

The Perth to Dundee road currently has two sets of 40mph limits, one with average speed cameras (actually elapsed time) and one without. Everyone does 40 where there are cameras. Yesterday, as an experiment, I set myself at 40mph in the other area - EVERY other vehicle pissed past me. Interesting.

M-o-M

PS. How could they "not prosecute" if you switch lanes, as long as the rules of evidence are observed?
07 R1200S

Love your enemies - it'll drive the bastards crazy!

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:41 am

Man-of-Mystery wrote:PS. How could they "not prosecute" if you switch lanes, as long as the rules of evidence are observed?

It would appear that the Home Office cut costs when they were type approving the SPECS system, and only approved it for single-lane use.

There is some discussion on it here
http://www.policespecials.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t44561.html
In hiatus from motorcycles.

Return to “Boxerpix”