Track-day photography

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stoney

Track-day photography

Postby stoney » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi Guys

I'm starting to offer trackday photography to individuals and groups – a bit like wedding photography but for bikers.

Basically its something that I love doing, so I'm offering it as aservice at a very low rate of £130 per day!

So for a group of 10 people that’s just £13 each and you'll get a load of good digital images on a CD (aprox 300) – compared to a £5-£10 per print (i.e. £20-£40 for 4prints) that you normally get at track-days.

Anyway here’s my initial site – I’d appreciate your thoughts, comments and recommendations at this stage. Just remember its not a serious business, just a way of funding a hobby.

http://www.bikerphoto.co.uk

Moderators - please remove this thread if its inappropriate.

Andy
Andy

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Seems like a good idea - it should keep you in titanium/carbonfibre goodies :D

I would reckon that if you turned up at tracks with a sample folder - you may even get a comission on-spec.

What seems to be implied, but not stated (which you may consider) is that there is no copywrite on the pics? I guess that both you and the customer have free use of pics (although a customer that has binned his bike may not want you to have free use??)

Just something to consider...........

Good luck with it.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 pm

Good on yer Stoney. During recent trip to Cadwell we were all conned into parting with £19 for 5 "professional photos of your Cadwell experience". F*ck me, if the photos they sent through the post were taken by a 'professional' then the bloke needs to find another day job.

Best of luck with you little venture. Just hope you manage to get trackside. In my experience, most organised track days tend to have an acredited 'photographer'!! and you turning up and doing thenm out of business might put a few lens out of focus, as it were.

Be interested to hear how you get on.
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

stoney

Postby stoney » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:05 pm

Nu2beemers wrote:Best of luck with you little venture. Just hope you manage to get trackside. In my experience, most organised track days tend to have an acredited 'photographer'!! and you turning up and doing thenm out of business might put a few lens out of focus, as it were.

Yep that is a factor. I've been to a couple that I'v ebeen on where I've taken photos of my mates in other sessions, without any bother.

My perspectie is that I'd be a guest of whovever has booked me.

Blackal - do you think having the portfolio online helps to prove the quality of what people are getting. Also, I've noticed other companies retain copywright of the image - but I'm not precious like that - i guess I'll have to see how I get on.

Ta for the feedback and comments! Keep them coming. Better still recomend me to your mates...if you're happy to that is.
Andy

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:11 am

A small portfollio online certainly helps. The big thing is getting your site noticed by the guys that are going on trackdays.

As far as copywrite goes.............. you have to ask yourself:

Will the customer make money from the use of the pics?

If you don't perceive he will, then why copywrite it?

But, say a group of 10 riders commission you to attend their track day and you get paid £130.............. and the person you hand the disc over to (having paid your fee) - then charges all his mates £20 each for a disc copy? Are you bothered about him making £60?

You need to think about all the possible scenarios, but for an average group of track day enthusiasts ....... is there much they can do with the pics that will profit them?

See if that works .....

stoney

Postby stoney » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:26 pm

I've just sent a leaflet off to be printed - 1000 FOC! I'll get them into the local biker stops and shops and that'll be a start!
Andy

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:37 am

What about business-cards? They fit in bikers wallets easier than leaflets :D

Even if you hand write or stamp the reverse with your current rates (rubber stamps only cost a couple of quid?)

More chance of them not ending up in the bin, I would think?

Although - not so easy for distribution from bike shops.......... more reliant upon you handing them out at trackdays.

See if that works .....

stoney

Postby stoney » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 am

Thats a good idea too. I am worried that if I start handing them out at track-days though I will definately be stepping on the 'official' photographers toes. Still worth doing - I'll try and add them on the end of a print job next time and get them for nothing too.
Andy

Return to “Boxerpix”