New R1100s

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Tim H

New R1100s

Postby Tim H » Sun May 11, 2008 11:09 am

Well pretty far from new really. It's the replacement for my old DDP one that was written off after only three weeks of ownership (not my fault honest guv..).

It's an 01 model and the colour looks more like tarts lipstick than a dogs dipstick. 21k miles on the odo and very little in the way of service history for the past few years. In fact when I went to look at it there was hardly any oil in the fecker :roll: The last owner had had it for 2 years and 3k miles and I'm not sure he even knew there was a sight glass on the engine. It took a litre to get it half way up... I've changed the oil but it'll be getting a full service asap..

The bodywork s in good shape, the paint on the lower bits of the engine is not. Also there's a lot of murky oily crap in the airbox. What's the likely cause? The bloke had been starting it and leaving it to run on the sidestand. Possibly why it was burning oil?
Whilst checking the air filter after getting it home I found it had a get big carbon intake snorkel fitted onto the worlds dirtiest looking K&N

It also has a 2-2 remus exhaust but I don't know if it's been chipped for more fuel. I don't even know where the ECU is ...is it under the tank?
It doesn't run as keenly as my old one which had a laser Y piece, cans & chip but that could just be that it needs a good fettling with.

The lack of regular (any) servicing aside the only real negatives seem to be a snapped manifold bolt Image and the fact that the adjustment screw on the rear shock is siezed. I'm betting the valve clearances are out and have possibly never been checked although the snorkel and the can would suggest that at least one of the previous owners was something of an enthusiast.
If there turns out to be nowt serious wrong with it it'll be a bit of a bargain. The bagster seat from my old 2000MY fitted straight onto it (thought they'd changed it that year) and I've re-keyed the panniers from my old bike to suit. It's also got an extension to the front mudguard which looks to have helped the paint to the front of the engine and a hugger which means the shock looks better than on my last one.

All in all for £2k I'm pretty chuffed. It's sooo nice to be back on two wheels again. Long may it last.....

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun May 11, 2008 12:09 pm

I'd say for 2k it's a good buy. :)

The Motronic box, which contains the chip, lives under the tank. Hope you get the downpipe stud sorted.

Nice Vizsla! :)

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Sun May 11, 2008 1:01 pm

Gromit wrote:I'd say for 2k it's a good buy. :)

The Motronic box, which contains the chip, lives under the tank. Hope you get the downpipe stud sorted.

Nice Vizsla! :)

Cheers, I'll have a look.

Sadly the dog enjoys pissing on bike wheels. Cleans the brake discs nicely but not so good for the paintwork :(

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun May 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Tim H wrote:
Sadly the dog enjoys pissing on bike wheels. :(

Don't worry - Yogi Bear used to do that all the time, but we managed to train him :wink:

Al :twisted:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

head-banger

Postby head-banger » Mon May 26, 2008 10:38 am

is that gotherington/bishops cleeve by any chance?

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Mon May 26, 2008 11:04 am

head-banger wrote:is that gotherington/bishops cleeve by any chance?

Nope, other side of Cheltenham. Not far from Birdlip. Whereabouts are you?

Cheers
Tim

cc mac

Postby cc mac » Mon May 26, 2008 4:27 pm

I managed to unseize mine by squirting WD40 around the top edge of the shock where there is a small gap. I also unscrewed the adjuster knob and squirted some in there too. I did the trick. Or you can replace the shocks. For about £550 you can get a pair of EMC Endurance shocks which will improve on the originals. You can even choose the colour of the springs.
Watching you Focker!

head-banger

Postby head-banger » Tue May 27, 2008 5:09 pm

FOD, but used to live in chelters, see you on the road, bronze :lol:

Return to “Boxerpix”