Horn switch R1100s

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 am

nab 301 wrote:I had a look at my switch gear today just to refresh my memory :oops: . I removed the screws and it pulled apart with a bit of fiddling , lower section first.
I found it more diffficult than I remember , and I wasted lots of time getting it all back together , I hope your ears were burning!

Thanks for that Nigel. I don't know why mine won't seperate. I've removed the two screws on both left and right bars. perhaps they need just a little bit more 'persuasion'. BTW, thanks for the burning ears. :wink: I was out on me bike for a couple of hours today and they kept the rest of my head lovely and warm. :lol:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:16 pm

el-nicko wrote:
nab 301 wrote:

BTW, thanks for the burning ears. :wink: I was out on me bike for a couple of hours today and they kept the rest of my head lovely and warm. :lol:

At least one of us was warm yesterday.... :lol:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Well Nigel, I finaly succeded in getting my switches apart today and I've swopped 'em both over. So now the L/H indictor switch is now the horn and the right hand one is now the 'cancel' switch. The original horn and cancel switches are now the left and right indicators. I'll see how I get on with this arangment and if I like it I'll re-colour and re-lable the buttons but already it seems a more natural lay-out. Thanks for your help mate.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:03 am

dont your indicators self cancel ,, mine do , as such i seldom use the cancel button ,, i actually like the set up as it is ,,, but only because of the self cancel function , i thought they all did that.
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Well yes they did (I don't have an 1100s at the mo) but the point of the exercise, as I remember, was to move the horn button to a more 'natural' position.

Nick.

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:49 pm

yes ,, but with self cancelling indicators ,, you could use either side top button , or even both for a horn ,,, that was my thinking , just wasnt sure self cancel indicators were standard ,,,
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:01 pm

[smilie=head bash.gif]

bikerboy

horn switch

Postby bikerboy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 pm

mine has a thin piece of spring steel stuck to the outer edge of both the indicator + horn switch, took a bit of getting used to sounding horn while
trying to indicate :shock: but sorted now,

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:34 am

I had a R1150RT for years, then a Bandit 600 for commuting daily, and now back to the BMW indicator set up.... occaisionally I hit the horn instead of the left indicator...doh! The indicator lever on the Bandit is right where the horn button is on the BMW!

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:30 am

nab 301 wrote:For years I was hitting the l/h ind switch instead of the horn so in the end I transferred the micro switches within the housing from top to bottom and vice versa . There was just enough room without modifying the wiring to do this .
Obviously the external "levers" are marked incorrectly now, but I haven't looked down since...

How good is that? Many thanks.

:wav:
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm sure that there was a company making a kit to fit suzuki bandit switch gear to replace the BMW stuff. however i prefer the paddle style indicators, much easier to use especially when wearing winter gloves. But i do know what you mean about the horn, i've yet to manage to find the damn thing when i need it.
also wasn't there an extension to fit onto the indicator cancel button that could aslo fit the horn? sure i saw this when i had my K1200

bikerboy

Postby bikerboy » Mon May 23, 2016 9:23 pm

practice when your stationary - worked for me

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:38 pm

roadburner wrote:I'm sure that there was a company making a kit to fit suzuki bandit switch gear to replace the BMW stuff. however i prefer the paddle style indicators, much easier to use especially when wearing winter gloves. But i do know what you mean about the horn, i've yet to manage to find the damn thing when i need it.
also wasn't there an extension to fit onto the indicator cancel button that could aslo fit the horn? sure i saw this when i had my K1200

Swap the horn switch and the indicator cancel functions over? I used to fancy trying that configuration. Shouldn't be SO hard?

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Crazy Kev

Re: Horn switch R1100s

Postby Crazy Kev » Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Just remember its just above the l/h indicator switch
Its Not a Phase, Its My Life,
Its Not a Hobby, It's. My Passion,
Its Not For Everyone, It Is For Me.

Reliance 22

Re: Horn switch R1100s

Postby Reliance 22 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 am

I too get annoyed at the horn switch location
I have now made the hazard light switch the horn switch and the hazard switch is now the old horn switch
Now when I need to air my aggression via the horn I can slam my left hand down on the left housing and the left indicator is not activated.
This being achieved by swapping the wires in the plug in the left side relay box.
Simple fix for something that has annoyed me for years

Return to “Boxerspex”