Best ST tires for the 11s?

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:38 pm

WARNING!!! ......... THIS POST CONTAINS RIM TAPE! :glasses7:

I've just replaced a pair of 'Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas'.......

...... with these Michelin road 3s.

The Pirellis are supposed to be up there with the best but I just couldn't be doing with 'em. The rear seemed to have a mind of it's own and would occasionally and unpredictably 'step out' under the mildest of circumstances to the point where I've stopped to check that I haven't picked up a tack or sprung an oil leak. :shock: The Bridgestones they replaced were well behaved so I don't think it was a suspension issue.

In the past, I've resisted buying the Michelins'. They look rather 'busy', with a lot of unsupported small areas of tread and so I'd expect a lot shuffle to be going on, with a quick warm-up but a high wear-rate as well. Also, to my eye, the front looks as though it's on the wrong way round for water dispersal. :shock: However, there's some really quick blokes in the group I run with (well they leave me waaaay behind) and they've all started going over to these Michelins. The quickest kid, who rides a CBR600rr and leaves even litre bikes behind, swears by 'em for fast road work and claims to be getting really good mileage too.

I only managed 100 miles or so on mine in 'the wet' over the holiday so I can't say I've formed an opinion. But watch this space. :wink:

Lastly, can I say, All the Best for 2014 to all of you, my fellow Trixters?

God Bless. Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Just looked at the authors location and I was wondering if he has to put up with pot holes, patchwork roads and the like?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm

el-nicko wrote:.

You took that too far........... [smilie=scared.gif]

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:40 pm

The Pirellis are supposed to be up there with the best but I just couldn't be doing with 'em. The rear seemed to have a mind of it's own and would occasionally and unpredictably 'step out' under the mildest of circumstances to the point where I've stopped to check that I haven't picked up a tack or sprung an oil leak. :shock: The Bridgestones they replaced were well behaved so I don't think it was a suspension issue.

Nick.

Strange , I fitted a set recently to my 11S and had perceived front end issues ( I say perceived because there's no such thing as a bad tyre these days is there?) . I "temporarily" fitted a front Z8 and it sorted "my" front end issues but in allowing me to press on a bit the rear felt very like you describe above. I must fit the rear Z8 and then i'll be able to answer the op question re longevity and grip.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:59 pm

Nick - It's probably going to be another year before you need to replace those PR3s so it's not really worth mentioning Dunlop Sportsmarts (my fav tyre at present).

There is a real case for Sports/Touring tyres like the PR3, in that they probably heat up on public roads - better than out-and-out sports rubber?

Sure - they don't look "aggressive" in the Cafe carpark, but that's not what matters - eh? :)

Al :D

See if that works .....

Sherrif

Postby Sherrif » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm

nab 301 wrote:

Nick.

Strange , I fitted a set recently to my 11S and had perceived front end issues ( I say perceived because there's no such thing as a bad tyre these days is there?) . I "temporarily" fitted a front Z8 and it sorted "my" front end issues but in allowing me to press on a bit the rear felt very like you describe above. I must fit the rear Z8 and then i'll be able to answer the op question re longevity and grip.

Have the Pirellils on my bike
Only had it for about nine months
I will be needing advice on alternate views etc when change is needed
Not having been on this site from day one I look forward to the tos#}s who say on no not again !!
:)
Growing old is compulsory
Growing up is not

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Sherrif wrote: ......I look forward to the tos#}s who say 'oh no, not again!!'
:)

I know what you mean mate. Take no notice. 'Tyre Posts' have 'legs' and (on all forums) they run and run. Newbees will always ask the same questions that engender a yawn from the 'lifers' but good advice doesn't have a shelf-life and good teachers don't mind repeating themselves.
Tyre technology is constantly improving the product anyway, ergo, the question; 'What's the best/most suitable tyre?' is always valid, so, 'shoot'. :wink:

Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:43 pm

Blackal wrote:
You took that too far........... [smilie=scared.gif]

Al :)

You could be right Al. How would I know any better though? I'm a shallow soul that's easily entertained by spangly things and flashing coloured lights that jazz my eyeballs. :lol: What's that line the 'Eagles' sing? ".....and it's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own name". That's MEEEEE! :laughing3:

Seriously though, Someone did suggest that instead of the self-indulgent ego-trip of putting my monica on the side-walls, a better idea, that might go some way to deterring the bike thief, would have been to have the machines 'reg' printed instead. Maybe I'll do that next time. :wink:

Nick.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:30 am

boxerscott wrote:Well if you have to ask then .... ? but since you asked I go for the cheapest I can, they all square off anyway and they all show their metal eventually. I am thinking the Maxxis of today may be streets better than the top dog of 10 years ago, A good pothole or roofers tack is indiscriminate. Try em all and you tell us what you think?

Why spend top brass on tyres for a machine that only pootles about, (relatively speaking)?

You can take the man out of Yorkshire... but.... :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:36 am

dave the german wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Well if you have to ask then .... ? but since you asked I go for the cheapest I can, they all square off anyway and they all show their metal eventually. I am thinking the Maxxis of today may be streets better than the top dog of 10 years ago, A good pothole or roofers tack is indiscriminate. Try em all and you tell us what you think?

Why spend top brass on tyres for a machine that only pootles about, (relatively speaking)?

"Ther's plenty tread on theear, lad !"

Al :wink:

See if that works .....

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Blackal wrote:
dave the german wrote:

"Ther's plenty tread on theear, lad !"

Al :wink:
Tha`s not wrong lad its reet for a bit more yet!
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Ronwash80

Postby Ronwash80 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:51 am

Hey guys, so I now have a little over 1000 miles (1600 km ) on my pirelli angel gt tires and the are holding up very well. No flat spotting on the rear tire and in fact I can still make out the "gt's" in the middle of the tread on the rear tire! Can say enough about em, very stable. You have gobs of grip in dry weather, I've been all the way to the edge of the tires without any sliping. Wet weather riding ( be in Southern California I don't see very much) is no problem as well. Had to ride though some rain and still had a bunch of traction. I gave a healthy amount of throttle to the rear tire to try to get it to beak lose and no luck I was impressed. I would definitely recommend this tire to anyone.
Speed safely and keep the shinny side up!
01 R1100S

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:32 pm

Always been a big fan of Bridgestones since they introduced the BT 023 a few years back.
Then I switched to the newer T30s .I think the front T 30 seems to hold its profile better than the 23s, however just ordered an 023 again to replace the rear T30 which only did 3,500 miles :shock: Oddly its kept its profile better than the 23s but the wear is about 1000 miles less. So deciding between a new T30 for £137 or a BT023 for £120 the choice was easy.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Return to “Boxerspex”