Thor – Programmable Brake Light Modulator

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mitch1100

Thor – Programmable Brake Light Modulator

Postby Mitch1100 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:00 am

Just fitted this product to my BoxerCup Replika. A fast easy fit, easy to conceal, adding extra safety/visibility. Pleasure to deal with! Tape wrapped after photo.
http://lakesideelectronics.net/products ... modulator/
[Image][/Image]

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:42 am

Not my specific area of expertise, but something in my grey matter says that flashing brake lights are illegal in the UK :?:

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 am

I also seem to remember somethiung about only emergency vehicles having flashing lights.

However I recentley followed an 8 year old Vectra and all of the reward facing lights / indicactors kept flicking on and off (but not to full brightness) I thought that he had an electrical fault but then figured out that they were flashing in a sequence so I guess its some sort oif "Custom" add on. It was bl**dy doistracting.

I have yet to see (in the UK) the colour changing sidelamp bulbs that Egyptian taxi bus drivers and 125cc riders seem to favour. It's very weird seeing the sidelights changing from red to blue to green (as you may know if you are lucky enough to have been there Egyptian taxi drivers rarely use the headlights even on unlit roads).
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:50 am

andy griff wrote:Not my specific area of expertise, but something in my grey matter says that flashing brake lights are illegal in the UK :?:

I thought so too, but several car manufactures are fitting these as standard now (Mercedes C class, Vauxhall Insignia I think). Had a look on-line and apparently there is a get-out clause in the construction and use regulations:

Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989;

Lamps to show a steady light
(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing light.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of-
a) a direction indicator;b) a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle;c) a warning beacon or special warning lamp;d) a lamp or illuminated sign fitted to a vehicle used for police purposes;e) a green warning lamp used as an anti-lock brake indicator; orf) lamps forming part of a traffic sign.

I guess the manufacturers can argue that these are special warning lamps. Having seen them in action they only flash for the 1st few seconds then go steady
Big Scottish Al

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:53 am

my merc flashes if i put my brakes on harder than usual, its to warn the drivers behind you are stopping quicker than normal.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 pm

I know this might be a few seconds in our lives that we never get back, but FWIW I do not think that a flashing 'normal' brake light can also be considered a 'special' warning lamp :roll:

I think the Merc example passes as it only happens in certain circumstances and they will have submitted the car for homologation tests as a UK model.

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 pm

I believe the Vauxhall is the same - only flashes under heavy braking and for the first few seconds, after which it returns to the normal steady brake light.
If the Thor can be programmed to do this then maybe it could be considered acceptable, but I'm not sure I'll be taking the risk.
Big Scottish Al

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:51 am

About half of Thor's brake flash patterns will fire for about 1 second then switch to a steady ON brake light for as long as you hold the brakes.  The remainder of the flash patterns will repeat for as long as you hold the brakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjrDrNV6 ... ata_player

3narf

Postby 3narf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:18 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote: (as you may know if you are lucky enough to have been there Egyptian taxi drivers rarely use the headlights even on unlit roads).

If they crash, it is Allah's will.

The brake light modulator seems like a good idea imho, considering the way people drive on the motorway these days.

I wonder if it fails, will you still have a brake light? Maybe it says at the end of the YouTube clip, but I didn't watch it to the end...

KenG

Postby KenG » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:44 pm

whatever floats your boat, but if you had of just fitted a few scotch locks, and throw a cup of water around it, you would have flashing lights of some description anyway.
buy yourself some shring wrap and a solder iron. those blue blocks are as useful for peeing on in a urinal. :wink:

Mitch1100

BMW dynamic brake light

Postby Mitch1100 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:22 am

2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Return to “Boxerspex”