R1100S Handlebars

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

A.J.T

R1100S Handlebars

Postby A.J.T » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:53 pm

I've turned my handlebars upside down, and swapped them over. Rather than angling slightly down, relative to the forks, they now angle slightly up, relative to the forks. They still slightly down relative to the bike but not as much as they used to, they’re much flatter now.

I've found them far more comfortable in this position as my wrists are now much straighter. In their original position, they were only comfortable when I lent forwards and had my elbows slightly bent, but this is not how I would like to ride most of the time.

To make the change, I had to drill and tap the left bar (formally the right) to take the screws securing the grip, and I had to file the right bar (formally the left) to accommodate the wire for the heated throttle grip (the other grip can be fitted upside down so no need to file the bar). Nothing is ever easy is it? I’ll upload photos of the fettled bar end if anyone’s interested.

The bars no longer feel too low, they feel a little high if anything, even fitted under the yoke. If you find your handlebars uncomfortable, this is definitely an option worth considering, especially if you don’t have heated grips.

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Rather a neat solution AJT, I like the lateral thinking involved, and it looks tidy and finished.
My bars have been above the yokes since I bought my bike and I'm quite happy with them there I think. Still if I ever fancy an exploratory change I'll give your idea a go.
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Where are your bar end weights?
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

A.J.T

Postby A.J.T » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 am

I decided that I don't need the bar end weights, since I'm not feeling any significant vibration through the bars without them. Working on the principle that lighter is better, I replaced them with plastic bottle tops, penny washers and button head screws. I'm not entirely convinced of this mod though.

Return to “Boxerspex”