Oilhead projects

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

beachcomber

Oilhead projects

Postby beachcomber » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:02 am

I've been around BMWs for some time now - several Airhead Cafe Racers, a few Kay Streetfighters [ one ongoing ], Y Trike project [ also ongoing ! :roll: ], and now a modern take on the Cafe Racer genre. Somewhere between a Retro and Concept style :? It's not meant to be a copy of any one style - just our interpretation.

Basis is the R1100S and the plan is to use the base model as a styling base and add in as many of the useful mods / upgrades that you peeps [ and Pelican ] have tossed around over the years.

When we got involved in the Y Trike some years ago - that involved buying some donors to use for parts. Naturally the donors were ridden around for a while to confirm they were in good useable condition [ mechanically ].

I found the steering "ponderous" to say the least - reminding me of my Guzzi Centauro. As with the Centy, seat height was a borderline issue for my 29.5" inside leg measurements !

So, although we will develop an adjustable Paralever torque arm - the "10mm Shorter" Telelever is top of my list to achieve sharper steering and keeping the seat height reasonable. A 10mm cut'n shut is under way as POC, then an adjustable version will be developed [ OEM spec - 15mm ] to experiment with. We'll develop our own RAMSHOX to suit the finished article.

I'm grateful to the 100's of peeps that have posted up their knowledge and tips - and welcome more constructive comments ..........."what do you think you're doing with our Classics" is NOT deemed constructive - we all have our own ideas on what's Classic and what's not. :wink:

A lot of what I've learned even to date has been very useful in deciding on a baseline for the project. Thanx. :lol:

BTW - best place to buy Power Commander V ?

The "Before"

Y Trike after chassis testing - fitting body panels, tank, and controls.

"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:20 am

Not sure if they do a PC V for the R1100s? You can get a PC III, - I think I got mine from a French vendor.

There is one here, as cheap as I have seen (French too, by coincidence)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Command ... 43d8726f9c

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Blackal wrote:Not sure if they do a PC V for the R1100s? You can get a PC III, - I think I got mine from a French vendor.

There is one here, as cheap as I have seen (French too, by coincidence)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Command ... 43d8726f9c

Al :D

Thanx Al ...............

however, the plan is to make multiples of this particular bike when it's completed - so we'll need ongoing supplies.

I'll contact the manufacturers on Monday to see what's what - thanx again

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:13 am

The Silver bike has now become the fitting mule as POC for all the mods / parts - and this little beauty will become the first to be "converted"..... :twisted:

Anyone got a NEW [ nos ] PC3 they want to part with ?

I'll list up all the unwanted parts from both bikes for sale.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

The telelever setup is said to have higher unsprung weight than a telescopic setup. Do you have any plans to try and reduce it in some way?

Are you keeping the paralever swingarm?

I guess I should just wait and see! :D

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Corvus wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing this.

The telelever setup is said to have higher unsprung weight than a telescopic setup. Do you have any plans to try and reduce it in some way?

Are you keeping the paralever swingarm?

I guess I should just wait and see! :D

Thanx for the encouragement. There will probably be TWO versions of the Telelever -the traditionally modded OEM version [ fixed at 10mm ], and the adjustable version will be tubular. Take a look at our Scorpio Y Trike project, this kind of fab is our daily bread. Don't really like guesstimates, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a weight saving of at least 25% over the stock version.

Most of the power train will be kept as is - including the Paralever swingarm.

Thanx for your interest.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:25 am

What do you all use for deep cleaning the engine / powertrain ?

Gunk and steamcleaning only highlights the grottiness of the paint finish.

Soda Blast ? ......................

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:42 am

I think sodablast will remove the paint altogether.

Try Gunk ecoclean (something like that) - a bit less aggressive than the "full-fat" version.

Don't leave it on for long, though.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:53 pm

:shock How do you change the poly v belt with all that "super structure" in front of it?

I suspect you have already thought about that but to me it looks tight.

Amazing

I was amazed at the lengths a guy went to in fitting an 1100s engine to power his plane.

I reckon the head covers need to be chromed though.

Interesting post indeed. :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 am

boxerscott wrote::shock How do you change the poly v belt with all that "super structure" in front of it?

I suspect you have already thought about that but to me it looks tight.

Amazing

I was amazed at the lengths a guy went to in fitting an 1100s engine to power his plane.

I reckon the head covers need to be chromed though.

Interesting post indeed. :)

Thanx for your interest - this one's for when my knee [s ] eventually give out and I can no longer safely hold a solo up when I stop !!!

I've already nearly had a Monty Python moment with my Guzzi Centuaro a few years back.

This was an early mock up p.o.c. pic taken a few years ago. The tank removal is literally a 15 minute job - three mounting screws and a quick release fuel delivery hose. The body work is a simple removal courtesy of dowels and dzus fasteners.

As to chrome valve covers - we're just in the process of making BCR rep valve cover "covers" -allowing for a multitude of finishes.

The Scorpio rolling chassis test mule has been well tested - the roads around the workshop are notorious locally as being the worst in the area ! We have an inboard front supension unit [ as in race cars ] and a unique rear suspension layout - which defies pigeon-holeing !

There is an inherent steering / balance problem with "sit on" Y trikes, as opposed to car style seating. This is actually the Mk 4 version, before we were happy with the results.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 pm

I am loving this process, keep it coming :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am

To save Realm's fabricator's blushes - I should point out that the last pic above was of a p.o.c. mock up chassis that was knitted together by yours truly !!!!!! I AM NOT A WELDER /FABRICATOR, as is plain.

This was the very first - "I wonder if we could do that" given a weekend in the workshop with some lengths of tubing and the welder.

Jigs have now been made to the mk4 [ or is it 5 ? ] chassis, as there will be at least THREE built eventually.

This is the kind of work HE turns out. My apologies if I embarrased him ............

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed May 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Moving along nicely now.

The basic mock up is complete and we are finalising the remote fuel cell.

The new "tank" [ cover ] design is almost finalised, as is the seat base. These are primarilly cosmetics.

The electrics have been moved to a position under the seat [ sealed compartment with air flow ], which is also where the battery will live.

All the new GRP developments are being trialled for fit and will be generally available. The new side panel / closure design is being finalised in the next 2 weeks, but that part will be unique to the project.

The powertrain has been soda blasted and painted in a Black textured paint - initially it's come out too gloss, so we are getting a matting agent added for a true matt finish. Plans are to highlight the barrel / sump fins by polishing the edges.

The exhaust has been designed and mocked up [ and run ! ] using a modified Y Piece and GP style silencer. We're designing the Y piece so that it can also double up to take the OEM silencers.

Down to minor details now such as choice of light units, electronic instrument [ Acewell / Koso ? ].

The Adjustable paralever will be completed and fitted in the next week or two, whilst the adjustable Telelever is a further 2-3 weeks away.

As soon as the mock up is complete [ 4 weeks ? ] I'll post up some pix.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed May 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Was the engine soda blasted as one piece?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed May 13, 2015 7:55 pm

dave the german wrote:Was the engine soda blasted as one piece?

Yes - after we made up blanks to go over exhaust and intake - sealed with a little silicone on the joint faces.

Here's the engine in the base texture paint finish - far too glossy, we're having a new batch made which will be a matt finish - a bit like Harley use.

Return to “Boxerspex”