RAM-MOTO "Marmite" Cafe Racer

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:05 pm

I think that you could drop that ST off a cliff and it would still look prettier than it started :D

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:29 pm

roadburner wrote:I think that you could drop that ST off a cliff and it would still look prettier than it started :D

Agreed ... but at two grand it will do for a donor !! I'm guessing the parts we don't want will make around £600 - £800, oh yes and it's just been MOT'd !

The parts we DON'T want are all the fuggly bits - it's the mechanics / bare rolling chassis we're interested in.
"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

Corvus

Re: RAM-MOTO "Marmite" Cafe Racer

Postby Corvus » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:45 am

beachcomber wrote:
.......we did it because we wanted to, and it beats going down the allotment or golfing.

Hear hear. Especially the golfing bit.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:54 pm

beachcomber wrote:the parts we DON'T want are all the fuggly bits - it's the mechanics / bare rolling chassis we're interested in.

2K is a very good price to pay for the donor bike, ugly as it is, it is a very good bike! I'll be interested to see what you make out of it.
one question though, is the canbus electronics going to interfere with your planned modifications?

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 am

Boxered wrote:
beachcomber wrote:the parts we DON'T want are all the fuggly bits - it's the mechanics / bare rolling chassis we're interested in.

2K is a very good price to pay for the donor bike, ugly as it is, it is a very good bike! I'll be interested to see what you make out of it.
one question though, is the canbus electronics going to interfere with your planned modifications?

Steve

Steve - I started my riding / building in the late 50's - as soon as anyone mentions electrickery, fuel injection, etc. - I pass. That's why we are liaising with the TFI electronics folks in the US. They have already produced a chip specifically for the Scream - Y Pipe, free breathing intake, free flow silencer. They have also appointed Realm Engineering as agents for their products, but initially we are only interested in BMW.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 am

roadburner wrote:I think that you could drop that ST off a cliff and it would still look prettier than it started :D

Truly ugly..............

The bike is quite nice from that angle, though........... :wink:

Here's someone else from this forum on the same bend........... :shock:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:00 pm

The "Scream" pre-production bike is now up and running !!! :lol:

That may not sound much of an achievement considering we started out with a "ride in" bike ........... but we had to alter a lot of the wiring to suit the Acewell combo instrument, and at the same time ALL the wiring and electronic units were re-positioned. :shock: In turn - the decision was made to make up a new loom for future bikes.

There's also a new bike [ specific ] mechanic starting full time next week which should help us to advnce the new Turbo project a little quicker.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:59 pm

The Scream is at the Chelsea Stamford Bridge "Kickback" show this weekend [ 12/13th ] for anyone going down.

A few spec details. Weight of the bike [ wet / kerb ] is 185kgs as opposed to the OEM weight of 225kgs. Apart from lighter materials [ GRP ] used in some areas - that is achieved without specific recourse to deliberate weight saving !!! The seat height is 2" lower - which means I can reach the ground without going tippy toes.

Does anyone know of a plastic R1100S 1/12th scale or larger self assembly kit ?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:09 am

I looked all over models shops for an R1100s and couldn't find one anywhere. Several shops checked catalogues for me and no joy. There are some cheap 1100s models about you could possibly dismantle - not sure of the scale tho. I take it you want it manufacturing purposes?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:02 pm

dave the german wrote:I looked all over models shops for an R1100s and couldn't find one anywhere. Several shops checked catalogues for me and no joy. There are some cheap 1100s models about you could possibly dismantle - not sure of the scale tho. I take it you want it manufacturing purposes?

Thanx for taking the time to check. Yes - I have decided to do a "clay" [ modelling plastecine actually ! ] of the bodywork form I have in mind. We need to see it in 3D before we get stuck in. Normally, styling is within my comfort / knowledge zone - Cafe Racers etc., but the new project will be significantly "off the wall" style wise, and I need to translate my ideas to my pal AC before the off.

Worst case scenario is to get a large scale metal / die-cast model and attack it with the Dremel to remove the bits we don't need. That's what we'd normally do with the full size project, but there will be a lot of patternmaking / moulds required for this one and we want to eliminate as many blind alleys as we can before we start.

This is basically the way I went about my first Kay Streetfighters - 1/12th scale Tamiya models buit up to rolling chassis stage and then added my modelled plastecine parts.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:33 am

Did you make the rear hugger is used on The Scream?
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Mitch1100 wrote:Did you make the rear hugger is used on The Scream?

Yes we did .... however, we're probably going with another style - pix to follow shortly.

The other style is more compatible with a larger range of rear wheel /tyre combos.

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:39 pm

looking forwards to seeing the improved st , to be fair a bit of a rounder nose and they would look great , a lot of bike for humble cash though ,,, great starting point.
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:24 pm

dysondiver wrote:looking forwards to seeing the improved st , to be fair a bit of a rounder nose and they would look great , a lot of bike for humble cash though ,,, great starting point.

Thanx for the encouragement DD.

The ideas I have at the moment are totally unlike any current bike style ! That's why I want to do a 3D rendering before we get too far into it, to make certain I'm going in the right direction.

There won't be anything of the OEM ST styling / bodywork - we'll start with the bones of the rolling chassis - as we did with the Scream. So, it won't be a revamped styling of the existing bodywork.

Once we've got it totally stripped and refitted with the new RAM developed parts, we'll start out with the profiling and patternmaking.

We have another engine / frame mule set up to evaluate the fitting of Turbo [s ].

I'm trying to avoid any pigeon-holing - Bobber, Brat, Cafe Racer, Cruiser, ... etc.,etc. Difficult with a bike as there's only so much you CAN do ! 8)

We've decided to have a long Christmas break and come back fresh in the New Year.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Time for a public thank you to the members of this group for encouragement, advice and much appreciated feedback that I've had over the past year.

Happy Christmas to you and yours and here's to a healthy and productive 2016

TJ

Return to “Boxerspex”