BMW OEM bags - R1200S

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

hirsty

BMW OEM bags - R1200S

Postby hirsty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:08 pm

Hello,

I see a few have the BMW official bags fitted, but pictures are a bit scarce - only found the three below so far. How are you getting on with them please? Did you have to buy them from your BMW Dealer, anyone phoned around for a better price please?

All comments (from owners) valued - quite torn about these having had the old black hard bags on my previous BMW. Big money though eh? Is £528 total the real price please?

Thanks all.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi Hirsty,
I have the BMW bags on mine (wouldn't buy a 12s until they backtracked and said luggage would be available) and have no problem with them. Yes its quite wide but the convenience of lock and leave suits me. Would not want to ride with them fully expanded though--that could be a real nightmare!! Official price is silly but I did a deal with my usual dealer and paid £400 all in--Bags c/w locks and fitting kit and fitted them myself. Bit scary drilling the required 18mm hole in the bodywork but easy enough all in all.

HTH Regards Peter.

hirsty

Postby hirsty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:39 pm

Forgot to include the pictures I have:

hirsty

Postby hirsty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 pm

herrman wrote:Official price is silly but I did a deal with my usual dealer and paid £400 all in--Bags c/w locks and fitting kit and fitted them myself. Bit scary drilling the required 18mm hole in the bodywork but easy enough all in all.

Thanks Peter - that's the kind of info I'm looking for!

Ian Martin

Postby Ian Martin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Have them fitted to my 12S, bloody brilliant (mind you anythings better than plastic bags held on with bunjie straps!) so far only used unexpanded, enough for a long week end for the 2 of us, come with a waterproof inner bag (which I've never used) and so far are waterproof. Cant remeber (don't want to :oops:) what I paid for them but basically paid list price but got them fitted free (took main dealer 3 hours - 1st set they had fitted!)
Ian

R1200S

RoLoo

Re: BMW OEM bags - R1200S

Postby RoLoo » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:37 pm

hirsty wrote:
Did you have to buy them from your BMW Dealer, anyone phoned around for a better price please?

All comments (from owners) valued - quite torn about these having had the old black hard bags on my previous BMW. Big money though eh? Is £528 total the real price please?

...you can find the complete set on e-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.nl/BMW-Kofferhalter-fue ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.nl/BMW-Sportkoffer-link ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.nl/BMW-Sportkoffer-rech ... dZViewItem

...together 685 Euro (without shipping) = 526.50 Pounds...
...so 528 Pounds could be the real price...

...BTW funny...
...I made the same pictures of this black bike at the Intermot... :)

...and the lady on the right looks if she doesn't like 'm at all...
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:28 pm

I've just been quoted £508.00 fitted!!! -
I'm in a quandery though - I ride a yellow R1200S and I think they look naff on the bike - they look more acceptable on a black bike, I think?
Has anyone painted them?

Jon

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Jonathan,
I would say £508 fitted is a fair price. My bike is Yellow and I think that the Black/Grey panniers are fine, Would not even like to consider painting them. PM me if you want to have a ride over and see how they look--Less than an hour's ride for you.

Regards Peter.

stoney

Postby stoney » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:00 pm

I've got mine on a yellow bike and think they compliment the bike really well.

That price sounds £100 less than I was quoted fitted - snap there hands off at that price. I suspect they have missed a part or two of the quote...or maybe the VAT!

Andy

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Got an 1100 with BMW panniers. Whats the difference in capacity between the old style panniers and the newer expandable type. I must say it's a point that would put me off getting a 1200 if the luggage capacity wasn't great. At the end of the day it's part of what makes boxers such a useable bike - have you ever seen any Japanese sports bike or sports tourer for that matter with the panniers removed - bloody ugly, all that frame work. BMW seem to manage it unobtrusively and it's a big plus point for me.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Without filling them with pingpong balls - I reckon in unexpanded form - they might be like 1100s panniers with citylids fitted.

Wouldn't expect them expanded - to be the same size as system cases with the normal lids, though :?

Have to admit - they do look okay on the bike :wink:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerspex”