Yet another BMW

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SP250

Yet another BMW

Postby SP250 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:15 am

I must have caught something serious from Mr Parry of this parish.
Because, I have gone an bought another BMW, a K1200RS "brick" to be precise.
I've never bought a bike without riding it before, but the said Mr Parry advised that the "bricks" were car technology and capable of 200,000 miles and were much more reliable than the later K12 or 13'S across the frame engined bikes.
I am still searching for a good, ergonomically comfortable bike for my ageing body and trapped nerves, which will do foreign tours with ease.
It also has the same Paralever rear and Telelever front ends that I love on my R11S, so I went looking.
Score one for Facebook Marketplace.
Had to be on my best behaviour too, as he was a copper!
I found the Bagster universal tank bag harness and made it fit, but can't find the Garmin sat nav mount, both saved from the R1200S a few years ago.
Moving house really screws up the memory of where stuff is stored!

The F800ST has gone off to pastures new, after a full service and complete fork rebuild with new stanchions, seals and bearings etc. to Andy Gear's better half Alison.

Hoping to be well enough for the Boxertrix Welsh Weekend in October and will have a wobble around on the K.
Attachments
At Police Firearms Range.jpg
At Police Firearms Range.jpg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
John M

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Yet another BMW

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:54 am

Very nice John. Look forward to seeing you on it in October.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:23 am

Thanks Paul, can you bring some Boxertrix stickers to the Welsh Weekend please?
The bike looks naked without them!
John M

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:40 am

I never leave home without them :wink:
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Still got the starter motor for the 11S - maybe making a run down to Williams in Manchester later in the month. I'll let you know. Got virtually no holidays left for this year so a Boxertrix meet isn't on unfortunately
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:32 pm

Hi John, Yes you must have caught something bad.

Did you say Parry was your mate?

Enjoy :wink:

Chris

Edit. i`ve actually had one of those. Another one of my enthusiasms. :drunken:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:57 am

Chris If you've had one, what's the scoop - good bits bad bits etc.?
Cause I havent ridden it yet, but reading about bad pulling to one side with and without rear wheel spacers.
Yes Steve is currently a mate, but that could all change........................ :D
John M

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:38 pm

SP250 wrote:Chris If you've had one, what's the scoop - good bits bad bits etc.?
Cause I havent ridden it yet, but reading about bad pulling to one side with and without rear wheel spacers.
Yes Steve is currently a mate, but that could all change........................ :D
Thought the engine was silky smooth, bike was really comfy, did not have it long cos I was an inexperienced rider (still am by others standards) influenced by reviews and group think on sluggish steering, servo assisted linked brakes, I remember it sounded like Robo Cop on start up. I never really gave it a chance tbqh. Saw the rwb replika and that was that. Quite sure if you have a well looked after one you will have got a lot of bike for little money and it will not disappoint. In a straight line it was a missile though. When you compare it with the FJR`s, Pans , Blackbirds of that era I can see that there would be similar traits although the jap competition sold stronger even tho the beemer had an air of quality about it.

Be interested to learn of your experiences with it.

I don`t give a monkeys about group think these days, I follow my own intuitions and generally conclude that they may have been right :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaroH6MNVnY
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:37 am

Paul wrote:I never leave home without them :wink:

good cos I need some to replace the peeling ones on my bcr :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:06 am

Mr Parry - peeling stickers are because you wash and polish it too much instead of riding it.
Best you use it on the WW.

Chris - my impressions so far on two very short (6 and 10 mile) rides on the K12 are it set my trapped nerves of in my neck both times within 5 miles.
As the riding position is way too far leaning forward. I had to swop bars on the F800, as you might remember, to 4 or 5 inch rise cow horns from the standard fitment.
I am just working out how to do the same on the K12 although it is somewhat more engineeringly challenging due to the cast alloy adjustable clamps etc. and needing a longer front master cyl to abs system brake line.
Anyway I have a buyer lined up if I cannot get on with it and have to move it on.
John M

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:55 pm

SP250 wrote:Mr Parry - peeling stickers are because you wash and polish it too much instead of riding it.

Chris - my impressions so far on two very short (6 and 10 mile) rides on the K12 are it set my trapped nerves of in my neck both times within 5 miles.
As the riding position is way too far leaning forward. I had to swop bars on the F800, as you might remember, to 4 or 5 inch rise cow horns from the standard fitment.
I am just working out how to do the same on the K12 although it is somewhat more engineeringly challenging due to the cast alloy adjustable clamps etc. and needing a longer front master cyl to abs system brake line.
Anyway I have a buyer lined up if I cannot get on with it and have to move it on.
Ah yes I remember, the hand grips are adjustable and so are the footpegs. I would definitely not dick about with that Brake system if I were you. I think retrospectively, it was a better bike than all the journo`s claimed at the time. It had the "funny indicator switches" which I prefer, "the front end feels vague" bmw`s telelever... they are all riding G`esses now, the other comment of the day was "the bike is well planted" WTF? did that mean? You could buy it potted to grow? I would not be too hasty to get rid of it John.
Fiat Panda.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:12 am

Thanks for your comments Chris.
The reality is, if I alter the riding position with raised bars (and to do that it has to have an extended master cylinder brake line) and it still sets off my trapped nerves then I cannot ride it.
There would be no reason to keep it.
Sadly the same scenario as when I had to sell the lovely R1200S after such a short time.
John M

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:33 pm

i`m keeping an eye on the for sale section.

:)
Fiat Panda.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 am

Ooh that's two buyers lined up then! 8)
John M

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:40 am

SP250 wrote:Mr Parry - peeling stickers are because you wash and polish it too much instead of riding it.

Being a cleaner is something I've never been accused of :) I ride in all weathers and don't clean them as often as I should :) The 'cup has been used commuting for the last two weeks so is a bit mucky at the mo :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “My other bike's a...”