Yet another BMW

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SP250

Re: Yet another BMW

Postby SP250 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:13 am

Well bar risers are fitted just got to change the brake hose for a longer one now. Can't turn the bars to left lock with the standard hose and the extended hose supplied in the kit is only 2 cm longer and needs to be 6 or 7 cm longer. Had to get one made up by Friction Hydraulics in Telford - £20 instead of £52 from Motorworks. The supplied short one will fit the rear brake when I replace all the rubber hoses with SS braided. Progress at last and it passed its mot on Monday.
P1010532.JPG
P1010532.JPG (1021.38 KiB) Viewed 32440 times
John M

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed May 10, 2023 9:59 am

excellent
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed May 10, 2023 10:54 pm

And after a false start, longer Goodrich line fitted, bled and working and now not leaking, so test ride in the morning.
John M

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:27 pm

Hi John. Please can i request an update on the K1200RS experience?
Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:31 am

You can indeed Chris.

Well, been out a few times solo and also with Mr Parry and local mates as well as the Trixter Welsh Weekend back in May.
My thoughts so far are that it has a useful amount more grunt (130hp) than my all original R1100S (96hp - no induct tubes or chips, Std exhausts etc). But could still do with another 30 or 40! And that the delivery is more akin to a twin than a UJM 4 because it is torquey delivery not all revs, I rather like it as it will also burble at 30mph in top gear and then smoothly pull away out of the town without the need to change down.

The weight is about 20kg too much for my liking and that gives the impression of slow steering and slightly ponderous handling. But that could be tyres too. Its a bit of a barge compared to the R11S, which is surprising given the same underpinnings of telelever front and similar paralever rear and all std BMW shocks. I like the hand controls as they are the same as the R11S, but don't like the pumped ABS. As the rear pedal also powers both the front brake calipers and if I am too hot into a corner, I like to be able to scrub off the speed with the rear only and not risk the front letting go whilst laid over with the extra load on the front tyre contact patch (old racers habit).

Slowly sorting out the ergonomics with the bar risers, but now after 100 miles or so my thumbs ache like hell because the fore and aft angle of the bars is wrong by about 5* to 10*. So that will be the next fix - to remove the locking bolt from under the yoke and swivel the bars slightly on the fork tube and re clamp - but won't be able to put the pins back in. My R11S has had this done with the bars moved to the top of the yoke since 2015 and is fine and doesn't move under heavy braking. I have the screen in the lowest position and no buffeting, but with wind on shoulders and helmet. The higher position gives helmet buffeting which is not acceptable. Seat in highest position and foot pegs in lowest. Can still put my feet flat on the floor. Might look at a shorter paralever link to raise the rear like the R11S and speed up the steering a bit. It is still going to give me knee pain, but with frequent stops should be OK to get to the Med/south of France/Bol d'Or in two weeks with Mr Parry.

Need to fit some new boots before the trip and just pondering the sense of £250 for 10 year old technology Pirelli Angel ST tyres or £430 for the latest Mich Pilot road 6's. Also need to finish changing all the transmission oils before the trip. All in all its OK Chris - no where near as sharp handling (but that was Ohlins suspended) or fast as my Gixer 1000. Usefully gruntier than the R11S and a bit more comfortable, just a bit ponderous. But for a mile eating grand tourer with full luggage for £1650 it's OK.
John M

Return to “My other bike's a...”