Buell anybody

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

cornishflat

Buell anybody

Postby cornishflat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi all

I did post some pics of my second bike a Moto Guzzi 1100 sport in this section. With the bars being to extreme for my dodgy wrist ( old pushbike crash ) my dilemma is either. Remove fairing, fit flatter bars with all new / longer cables etc, or. Sell and buy a more upright bike, which i would like to have either shaft or belt drive. Now said bike needs to have character, so for me a twin and i,m leaning towards a Buell. I have rode a couple of 1200 XB,s and i must admit loved them, a perfect one up fun machine.
Any thoughts / advise good, bad or indifferent most welcome.
kernow,the last bit

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 am

never ridden one but i like the look of them and i'd like to give one a go someday. not helpful i know. never see many for sale though.

User avatar Ireland
nab 301

Re: Buell anybody

Postby nab 301 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 pm

cornishflat wrote:Hi all

Any thoughts / advise good, bad or indifferent most welcome.

http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ht=#120802

I did dig out the old thread just to remind myself what it looked like, and very nice it is. I'd see what's availible in bar risers before selling , and failing that, fancy swopping for a very clean Deauville , shaft drive, all day comfort... :wink: (physiotherapy for me is still tax deductable :shock:)

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks nab, but its a Buell that i would like as a swap.
kernow,the last bit

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Cornish,
I would think seriously before buying a Buell, yep, thery're a hoot to ride, and handle ridiculously well for what they are, But you'd better have a Diploma in home mechanics, or deep pockets :shock:

I had an XB12 until buying my R11 at the end of 2011, and it cost me a packet. The guys at www.ukbeg.com (Buell owners forum) will become your bestest friends, and about the only reliable source of spares (unless you're minted that is). For example a drive belt has just gone up to £240, and that's with a 10% discount from Black Bear for forum members.

I may sound all doom, which is a shame, because I don't regret owning the Buell. I loved the torque from that agricultural HD engine, which made the front end skip over the road from way down in the rev range, and it did handle amazingly well (even with my mass perched on top), but.....
I learned at LOT about spannering to keep it on the road: gearbox, valves & timing gear, electrics & lights, primary drive, wheel bearings, mountings - these all needing fixing at some point (some multiple times), and that was on a 2008 bike with only 22000 miles when I sold it !!

Delve in to ukbeg before you decide, and if you still want a bike, I would recommend buying from a forum member, and getting it completely sorted by Maz (master Buell mechanic and oracle of knowledge) as soon as possible :lol:
Happy shopping 8)
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

User avatar England
herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi,
I had a Buell once (XB9R):lol: Great fun WHEN it was going but thats why it had to go, Not reliable enough for me and not a lot of dealer backup IMHO,I always got the feeling that the dealers where only really interested in trying to sell the HD lifestyle and the Buell brand was a PITA forced upon them. God only knows what it will be like now that the brand is defunct!!

Peter.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:30 pm

Bikerhoss, strange you mention ukbeg as i have had a look at their forum. Looks like the XB,s are being bought up by Europeans, mainly Germans and the values are on the rise. Strangely the "tuber" models (pre XB) seem to be selling with very low mileages. Summer use only, dodgey speedo,s, who knows.
kernow,the last bit

User avatar Tokelau
popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 pm

I had a XB9S for a brief period, can't tell you much about it except that the handling was brilliant, managed to get to the edge of the rear tyre on the ride home from the dealers, Riders of Bridgwater along the A39 to Minehead, 24 miles and didn't exceed 50mph (running in).

The trouble was vibration, on my next ride, Minehead via Great Torrington B3227 home approx 160 miles my whole body was numb, it was so extreme that when I got off in Torrington I nearly fell over with a "dead" leg, any way when I got home I sold it with I think 185 miles on the clock!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Oberautobahnjäger…………

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm

popsky wrote:The trouble was vibration,

Remember see a Ulysees? ticking over on its centre stand outside J&S in Doncaster. Its party piece was that it almost followed its owner to the burger van, the vibration causing it to have a steady movement across the floor :shock:
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 pm

cornishflat wrote:Bikerhoss, strange you mention ukbeg as i have had a look at their forum. Looks like the XB,s are being bought up by Europeans, mainly Germans and the values are on the rise. Strangely the "tuber" models (pre XB) seem to be selling with very low mileages. Summer use only, dodgey speedo,s, who knows.

Tubers are definitely the connoisseurs choice when it comes to a Buell,
Yep, the Germans and Dutch seem to love all things Buell just now, actually quite hard to find a decent XB in the UK that doesn't have Euros already waiting for it.
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed

Traitor Z1000SX Owner

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 pm

I,m certainly leaning towards flat bars , such as Renthals and removing the fairing sort of streetfighter style.
I took the Guzzi out for a run a couple of nights ago and apart from the extreme (for me) riding position i really enjoyed it. Have to say the brakes are superb.
kernow,the last bit

User avatar India
steveninary

buell xb

Postby steveninary » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

only just joined the forum so im a bit late on this one, but for future reference i have a firebolt xb12r its the most fun on two wheels next to a future purchase of an 1100s, but when i get the s the firebolt will be staying.

servicing is simple and not costly, a few mods help, the belts last well,economical and its a hardly that loves corners

sometimes its a pig when cold, but it must be doing something right as ive done 13,000 miles in 3.5 years and took it to poland for a holiday which we both enjoyed.

ignore the doom and gloom the germans love them and they make bmw's you know.

User avatar Great Britain
Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 am

What about one of the last Rotax-engined jobs CF? I had test-ridden an XB12R and liked it, but wanted to try out the newer 1125R/CR (despite the fugly side pod radiator cover things). Phoned on the Weds to book a ride the following week - HD announced they were dropping Buell on the Friday. I got cold feet and didn't bother. Shortly thereafter they were knocking the 1125s out at a heavy discount (£5k or so!).

ISTR Buell reportedly rushed the new bike into production and the fuelling was pants, but was subsequently sorted with a remap. 150 brochure horsepower is what caught my eye (as well as those poxy side pods)

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

User avatar Great Britain
jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 am

1125R and later CR were 'troubled' bikes with a few interesting characteristics (fuelling was never brilliant, water cooled engine meant fuel boiled in the frame on hot days, poor clutch slave cylinder was never really sorted, problems with the alternator stator).

The potential cost of ownership (with the problems and HD ridiculous pricing) was the reason I got rid of my 1125R. LOADS of power available though and good handling.

I still think that the smaller Firebolt (I had mine for 8 years) was a better handling bike and generally a more viable ownership proposition. Still a good looking bike with some great design features.

As noted by bikerhoss the chaps at UKBeg are a great source of knowledge about the brand.

But overall I am pleased I moved to my KTM RC8 and also got the Beemer.
'85 1100 Katana
'98 Buell S1W
''02 R1100S
'10 HP2S
'17 1290 GT

Return to “My other bike's a...”