BMW bobber

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:Excellent job.

Got a hankerin to one myself but as a cafe racer. Just trying to find the right doner bike at the right price at the moment. Looking for a 79 R85 or similar with the smooth cyinder heads if anyone know anyone that has one. The old boxers have suddenly become very popular and the sellers all seem to know the value of there bikes :(

DT

well if you want to foist that old HP2 on me I may let you have my Uncles R80RS ;)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Bruno

Postby Bruno » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Bry,
Which front mudguard (fender?) did you use?

I'm struggling to find a close fitting, traditional blade to fit the K front forks and still retain the fork brace. The two-piece is a bit modern looking and the standard one that went with the original 19" wheel has too large a radius.

Mark
Why do cheap bikes never end up that way?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Bruno wrote:Greg,
The rounded rocker covers can be retro fitted to any Airhead that was originally supplied with the oblong ones. Available new from the usual suspects.
Might I also recommend the 1070 kit from Siebenrock, oh and the twin plug heads and the 40mm Dell'Orto pumpers.

Mark

OOOhhhh thats lovely. Sell it to me now :twisted:

What was it originally?

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Bruno wrote:Bry,
Which front mudguard (fender?) did you use?

I'm struggling to find a close fitting, traditional blade to fit the K front forks and still retain the fork brace. The two-piece is a bit modern looking and the standard one that went with the original 19" wheel has too large a radius.

Mark

Hi Mark
I bought a full mudguard off ebay....Custom Chrome....then cut it in two pieces one for the front one for the back, then i made some brackets and welded them in for the front. I had to grind off approx 4mm and shape the bottom of the fork brace. This gives enough clearance but keeps it all nice and tight. I.ll try and dig out the ebay seller.

Cheers Bry
kernow,the last bit

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:Excellent job.

Got a hankerin to one myself but as a cafe racer. Just trying to find the right doner bike at the right price at the moment. Looking for a 79 R85 or similar with the smooth cyinder heads if anyone know anyone that has one. The old boxers have suddenly become very popular and the sellers all seem to know the value of their bikes :(

DT

In my humble opinion the twin shockers suit the cafe racer look better than the mono shock models.
kernow,the last bit

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:02 pm

The rounded rocker covers can be retro fitted to any Airhead that was originally supplied with the oblong ones. Available new from the usual suspects.
Might I also recommend the 1070 kit from Siebenrock, oh and the twin plug heads and the 40mm Dell'Orto pumpers.

Mark

Mark thats looking great. I can see the time and attention to detail you have put in. What tank / seat unit are you gonna use?

Bry
kernow,the last bit

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:43 am

Very slick, I like that a lot! 8)
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Mark

:? Did you put the front wheel in (for the purpose of the pic' maybe) the wrong way round ?

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Bruno

Postby Bruno » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 am

Greg, it left the factory as a 78 R100RS, but it was a chopped about rat when I got it. I rode it around a bit, then whipped the heads off for a quick unleaded refresh and it escalated from there. I suggest if you like the older look, go for an 81-spec R80 and change the rocker boxes and possibly find spoked wheels.

Bry, I'm hopeless at projects. I never stay focussed long enough to finish anything and I'm always changing my mind. I initially wanted a sort of BMWstyle Ducati Monster. I toyed with cafe racer stuff, in fact I've changed my mind so many times in the last 4 years that i've now decided to get it back on the road standardish, then change it as I go along.
Seat-wise I've got a good s type seat, a /7 seat with the large chrome grab rail, a single police Denfeld saddle and a 1970's Ducati 900SS single. I've aquired a couple of spare frames one of which I've converted to a single shock like the R80G/S prototype. An R65 subframe fits my other spare frame and is a bit shorter than standard, so I've mocked that up as well, It gives a more inclined stance for the rear shocks. That works quite well with a shortened S-type seat cowl.
On the other hand I quite like the idea of 80 or so horsepower in an original ish looking /6 style. A Q-ship thing. See what I mean about making a decision!
I've two motors. The 1043 thats in the pics and a 1070 that I gathered together as cash allowed. I've also a spare gearbox swinging arm wheels and forks. In fact it's dawned on me that if I come across a decent tank I'll have enough for another bike.
I do know that it will be black, with satin black pinstripes.

El-niko. Well spotted. I was in the middle of moving the bike from my work-mate to the bike lift. It has NOS K series forks and calipers EBC floating discs and a Motoren Israel hub so I was checking clearances. I needed to turn spacers to centre the discs within the calipers. I sometimes wonder if the K front end is more trouble than its worth.

Its almost back on the road now. It needs front indicator brackets a mudguard and a bracket for the twin plug coils and controller.
Just in time for the winter.

Mark
Why do cheap bikes never end up that way?

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Bruno wrote:Greg, it left the factory as a 78 R100RS, but it was a chopped about rat when I got it. I rode it around a bit, then whipped the heads off for a quick unleaded refresh and it escalated from there. I suggest if you like the older look, go for an 81-spec R80 and change the rocker boxes and possibly find spoked wheels.

Bry, I'm hopeless at projects. I never stay focussed long enough to finish anything and I'm always changing my mind. I initially wanted a sort of BMWstyle Ducati Monster. I toyed with cafe racer stuff, in fact I've changed my mind so many times in the last 4 years that i've now decided to get it back on the road standardish, then change it as I go along.
Seat-wise I've got a good s type seat, a /7 seat with the large chrome grab rail, a single police Denfeld saddle and a 1970's Ducati 900SS single. I've aquired a couple of spare frames one of which I've converted to a single shock like the R80G/S prototype. An R65 subframe fits my other spare frame and is a bit shorter than standard, so I've mocked that up as well, It gives a more inclined stance for the rear shocks. That works quite well with a shortened S-type seat cowl.
On the other hand I quite like the idea of 80 or so horsepower in an original ish looking /6 style. A Q-ship thing. See what I mean about making a decision!
I've two motors. The 1043 thats in the pics and a 1070 that I gathered together as cash allowed. I've also a spare gearbox swinging arm wheels and forks. In fact it's dawned on me that if I come across a decent tank I'll have enough for another bike.
I do know that it will be black, with satin black pinstripes.

El-niko. Well spotted. I was in the middle of moving the bike from my work-mate to the bike lift. It has NOS K series forks and calipers EBC floating discs and a Motoren Israel hub so I was checking clearances. I needed to turn spacers to centre the discs within the calipers. I sometimes wonder if the K front end is more trouble than its worth.

Its almost back on the road now. It needs front indicator brackets a mudguard and a bracket for the twin plug coils and controller.
Just in time for the winter.

Mark

Jeez Mark i can see where you are regarding choices. You can always chuck one of your motors my way....should give my bobber a bit of pep....
Look forward to a finished pic or two
8)
kernow,the last bit

Return to “My other bike's a...”