This will divide opinion

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Re: This will divide opinion

Postby f90x » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:12 pm

cornishflat wrote:
Nice one. I had a test ride on one and I,d love one as a second bike. As you say the exhaust system could do with a visit by Dr cutting disc. I found it was a little harder to turn....I,d just jumped off a Buell... so the wheel mod should help. I hope you can keep us posted on your findings, I look forward to it.

The shocks have a two inch lift compare to standard ad well. My mates has the same set up also with the 17. Trust me it steers quicker than my 12.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Blackal wrote:Those items in the background, Nick -

Are those parts which fell off the Harley you tried ? :shock:

Al :wink:

:shock: :roll: :lol:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

nab 301

Re: This will divide opinion

Postby nab 301 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:06 pm

f90x wrote:
cornishflat wrote:

The shocks have a two inch lift .

Is that 50mm in BMW speak... :wink:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Indeed it is Nigel. I even work in mm at work. I've clearly been looking at too many American websites lately ;-). Mind you I'm old enough to remember using feet and inches at school.

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:04 am

That's no S1W :-(

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:37 am

eyore wrote:Dosen't divide my opinion ..............its crap [smilie=blowup.gif]

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.
I had one of these for an hour or so on a demo ride, and it was superb fun.
Blatting around the lanes on it was a riot, and that engine felt super smooth and virtually vibe free.
Almost Honda like.
Not at all like Sportsters I've ridden before.
The guy at the dealers told me this was intentional.
Harley were trying to attract a whole new crowd with the XR and went to a lot of effort to "tune out" certain engine characteristics that Harley die hards love, but someone coming straight from a Japanese bike might not be so forgiving of.
Where it went wrong for me was when I got out on the long straight roads.
All of a sudden, sat still in one position, it wasn't very nice at all, and the 10 mile blast up the dual carriageway back to the dealers was enough to convince me it wasn't the right bike for me.
In every other respect though, it's huge fun,

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 am

jeznewsome wrote:That's no S1W :-(

No Jez. Ultimately the S1 would have been too uncomfortable for me over longer trips I feel. I never did ride one but all the reports would suggest as such and that seat would do me no favours. If I could have two bikes then yes. What B n B says about the engine being smooth on these is true. My mates (albeit rolling roaded with a PC 5) is vibe free. They still shake like crazy at tickover though. It remains to be seen wether it's the bike for me but I'm looking forward to finding out.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:33 pm

f90x wrote:I had a fireblade 954........but it had to go before I got caught doing jail speeds..

Yes, I know what you mean mate. Must have been a wrench tho'. Those 954's are reputed to be the all-time, best 'blade. Must get a 'go' on one.:wink:

Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 pm

el-nicko wrote:.

f90x wrote:I had a fireblade 954........but it had to go before I got caught doing jail speeds..

Yes, I know what you mean mate. Must have been a wrench tho'. Those 954's are reputed to be the all-time, best 'blade. Must get a 'go' on one.:wink:

Nick.

They 'are' an awesome thing. Still the best looking IMO (mine was white and blue, just beautiful) and as far as I am aware still the lightest blade made.

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:29 pm

I really want a Blade - but mine would have to be an early twin-headlamp model, or a fox eye urban tiger.
Fucked Off!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Twinspark wrote:I really want a Blade - but mine would have to be an early twin-headlamp model, or a fox eye urban tiger.

Good ones of those are still available, but do seem to command good money these days. A friend of mine has just chopped his '99T Blade (last of the carb'd) for an '06 model. Have ridden the '99 a few times and it's a lovely bike. Comfy too.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm

I really like the under-seat zorst on the pr-'09 'blades. It was one of the features that pushed my buttons when it came to buying my 11s. :wink:

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:08 pm

I do like the look of the Harley - I.m not a fan of the easy rider style. The only thing with the pipes is the length, I like them in black
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:44 pm

One of my other bikes is this (can't post pics but link shows a couple)
http://www.hejiraracing.co.uk/complete-motorcycles.html
Full carbon chassis and swinging arm, carbon seat and fairings, Marchesini magnesium wheels for the road and carbon ones for trackdays.
I have an RSV Aprillia Mille engine which won't quite fit by 20mm and I am not cutting the carbon away for anyone.
So I am looking for a 690 KTM single and we are considering a Rotrex supercharger for it as well.
John M

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
eyore wrote:Dosen't divide my opinion ..............its crap [smilie=blowup.gif]

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong.
I had one of these for an hour or so on a demo ride, and it was superb fun.
Blatting around the lanes on it was a riot, and that engine felt super smooth and virtually vibe free.
Almost Honda like.
Not at all like Sportsters I've ridden before.
The guy at the dealers told me this was intentional.
Harley were trying to attract a whole new crowd with the XR and went to a lot of effort to "tune out" certain engine characteristics that Harley die hards love, but someone coming straight from a Japanese bike might not be so forgiving of.
Where it went wrong for me was when I got out on the long straight roads.
All of a sudden, sat still in one position, it wasn't very nice at all, and the 10 mile blast up the dual carriageway back to the dealers was enough to convince me it wasn't the right bike for me.
In every other respect though, it's huge fun,

The Sportster models of late like the Dyna models sit in a rubber mounted frame. Hence the lack of vibes reaching the rider....unlike the older models.
The swingarm mounts to the engine to maintain belt tension but can induce a yawing feeling sometimes in corners as the engine and swingarm move together. It can feel weird at first but when you get used to it you tend to ignore it and ride through it.
kernow,the last bit

Return to “My other bike's a...”