This will divide opinion

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 pm

The only HD I would entertain.
Gorgeous.

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Nice.

That and the Night Rod are the 2 Harleys I like.

Some good upgrades as well.
Gary

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 pm

f90x wrote:
Gromit wrote:Steve - might be a shot in the dark this, but does 'your' XR have a non-standard front wheel? HD (in their infinite wisdom - not!) fitted the std bike with odd-sized wheels - 18" front I think - so having a 17 on the front would be a good thing as it obviously makes many more tyres available.

Well spotted Richard. It has £2500 worth of 17" BST carbon fibre wheels as well as ohlins shocks and the ohlins converted forks....

I spotted the big gap between the front wheel and the mudguard and wondered what was going on - that explains it!
(Thought it was some kind of trail bike front end initially :oops: )
Big Scottish Al

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm

McBoxer wrote:
f90x wrote:
Gromit wrote:Steve - might be a shot in the dark this, but does 'your' XR have a non-standard front wheel? HD (in their infinite wisdom - not!) fitted the std bike with odd-sized wheels - 18" front I think - so having a 17 on the front would be a good thing as it obviously makes many more tyres available.

Well spotted Richard. It has £2500 worth of 17" BST carbon fibre wheels as well as ohlins shocks and the ohlins converted forks....

I spotted the big gap between the front wheel and the mudguard and wondered what was going on - that explains it!
(Thought it was some kind of trail bike front end initially :oops: )

There's quite a big gap even with the 18" wheel. My mate with the same bike has a couple of Harris spares made for the 17" and he's given me one of them. I'll put it on in its black gel coat initially but I think I may get it painted orange in the future along with the side panels.

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:46 pm

I wish you all the best with it! I have no experience of Harleys (except the 350 singles in the army - but I don't think they count).
They do make a lovely noise though (the big ones - not the 350s!).
Will hunt down an XLCR cafe racer if I win the Euromillions tonight...
Last edited by McBoxer on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Scottish Al

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm

I like it, Could see it being a pleasant "lazy day" ride , Plenty of torque for riding round the lanes that I enjoy these days, Still wouldn't want to get rid of the 12s though.

Peter.

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 pm

I love those things.

Very hard to justify one, though.
Fucked Off!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Twinspark wrote:I love those things.

Very hard to justify one, though.

True enough - it'd have to be purely a toy, but a damn nice one. Had I got the disposable ££...

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Every bike I've had since I've been driving a car is 'a toy' I guess. I'm a fair weather rider and usually only get a certain number of Saturdays during the summer and I've managed to get into Europe three times in the last eight years. If I like it enough the 12 shall have to go as I don't have the room for two bikes and the sad reality is that I can't justify 'financially' having them both. I'm very lucky to be in a position to buy my next bike before selling the existing one but I can only ever have the one. My mate bought his new two years ago and has put 15k miles on it. His biggest day was 600 miles and that was in the UK. I think I'll be ok if it's my only bike as long as I can get used to riding around on a mobile earthquake.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

I tried a Harley once and though it might have been a bad one I found it to be a rather unpleasant experience and have not ridden one since. Some folk in my club have them and they are really nice people and I have to say I've encountered some right wankers on 'sports' bikes.
All I can say is, if you really must have an 'Other Bike' (and putting aside off-roading) try something like this....

I did, and, since I got it in March I've somehow managed to put 7000 miles on the clock. It'll be laid-up now though 'cos, apparently, we in for a really bad winter and I refuse to ride a chain-driven bike on salt-treated roads. This is when a shafty comes into it's own. And I must say, as 'a bike for all seasons', there's no competition for the ordinary, easy to maintain, un-complicated (that's non-ABS of course :lol: ) R1100S. Unfortunately, I can only accommodate one bike at a time and have grown old with Japanese 3's and 'fours' having bought my first CB750 K0 in January 1970. I spent some time in the '50s and sixties in the company of big V-twin Vincents and 'boxers' but have always been fascinated by the 'Swiss-watch like' capability of 4 cylinder litre bikes to 'rev'. Sometimes, in the workshop, just for the fun of it, I'll spin one of our lathes up to 2000rpm just to look at it and think, 'Jesus! my bike runs SIX times+ faster than that and it's got all those 'rods, piston ect, ect..., thrashing around as well, and it's still feels so smooooooth :o . Must just say though; adapting to non-self-canceling indicators has proved harder than, back in the day, finding the foot-brake/gear-change swopped about. :?

Love (but pleeese, no 'tongues'. ) and Peace to all, Nick.

edit: '....come across some right wankers' replaced with 'encountered..... '. Before somebody else (you know who you are) jumps on my case and starts casting aspersions. :roll:
Last edited by el-nicko on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:08 pm

I had a fireblade 954 that I sold to get the r1100s nick. I loved the blade but it had to go before I got caught doing jail speeds. Not to mention I'm quite creaky and it would take too long for me to straighten out after a ride. Ultimately I preferred the 11 over the blade (mine was very modded) as it was so much more comfortable and actually easier to ride fast over distance despite not being as powerful or light as the blade. I don't get to go out much so when I do it's all day. I never go out for a quick hour long blast. The 12 is a great bike but it hasn't got under my skin like the 11 so it's time to try something else. As I've already said earlier in the thread, I might not like it but I've still got the 12 and I won't be looking to sell it until April so I'll see how it goes.

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:41 pm

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Wow, up until now I had you down as a broad minded intelligent bloke. Life's full of surprises eh.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:18 pm

el-nicko wrote:.

All I can say is, if you really must have an 'Other Bike' (and putting aside off-roading) try something like this....

Those items in the background, Nick -

Are those parts which fell off the Harley you tried ? :shock:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

cornishflat

Re: This will divide opinion

Postby cornishflat » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:22 pm

f90x wrote:Image

Nice one. I had a test ride on one and I,d love one as a second bike. As you say the exhaust system could do with a visit by Dr cutting disc. I found it was a little harder to turn....I,d just jumped off a Buell... so the wheel mod should help. I hope you can keep us posted on your findings, I look forward to it.
kernow,the last bit

Return to “My other bike's a...”