Is a write-off...

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

leasky

Is a write-off...

Postby leasky » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:18 am

Came off on a patch of gravel doing about 50 mph on a corner.

No more riding for me this year.

Could have been worse but can't use the recently acquired birthday present for a couple of months.

I suppose I was lucky that it wasn't the Mamola.....

Image[/img]

URL=http://s317.photobucket.com/user/saltness/media/imagejpg1_zpsc55d8fc2.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Image[/URL] :( :(
Leasky

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:09 am

Farking ell Colin. Only you on the bike? Lucky one that and only a leg injury. Glad you came off so lightly, excuse the pun. What is the damage to you looking at that leg? Have you got license for those crutches. Don't worry about the bike, they crash ok and rebuild is a painless experience. By the way, the new Adventures are not too shabby.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 am

Bad luck on that one Colin, it could have been worse. I did the same thing in 03, but the police didn't turn up, I was told after that if they did they would have taken photo`s of the condition of the road i.e. gravel, I could have sued the council for the state of the road. anyway you look after yourself and think of all the pampering at home you will get. :roll: :lol:
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:26 am

Ugh!!! *rse biscuits - that's not good. :(

Hope you heal well Colin, and quickly too. :)

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:53 am

Bugger! .... hope it's all sorted soonest!
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 am

Ouch!

The things people will do - to get out of doing the housework!

Still - could have been a lot worse.

Is the bike a defo write-off?

hope you get a quick recovery!

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

leasky

Postby leasky » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for the comments and all the kind wishes guys.

Yes, it certainly could have been a lot worse; Clare wasn't on the back (as she was supposed to have been) as the dog had a dodgy stomach on the Friday evening, so she decided to stay home for the weekend and look after him.

I lost the bike on a relatively slow right hander and me and the bike went down and slid along the verge. The bike went into the ditch, spun around, came out and landed on the grass again and I simply came to a halt on the grass; tried to stand up and fell over again - dislocated right foot caused by the cylinder head coming down directly onto it was my only injury but it took a couple of little operations to correct and I am assured by the surgeon that I shall make a full recovery but it will be 3 months prior to me walking unaided again.

I tried to lament my case of woe to the attending constabulary regarding the condition of the road but they simply advised me to persue the local authority and parted with a quote of "Well, all the roads are like that nowadays".

The bike is a Cat C write off and I have come to a financial settlement and also bought the bike back from the insurers. I intend to remove the Wilber's, Ackropovic, etc and put the standard stuff back on again, then sell the thing.

I won't be riding again this year but I do plan to buy a twin cam GSA next spring. I am just thankfull it wasn't the Mamola I was riding that day....

That was my first "off" in 32 years of riding and it did give me a bit of a rattle to be honest. I was in hospital for a week and began to appreciate how lucky I had been. I got the plaster off on Friday (after a month) and now have one of these "Space Boot" things. That will be on for a month and then the physio starts - it's going to be a long, boring summer.....
Leasky

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm

Glad you're OK Colin, keep up the exercises and you'll be in the 911 in no time.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 pm

The missus say you should get well quickly. All the best Colin. Seriously, go and try the new GSA LC when the foot is healed.

In the past 3 or 4 years that I have been doing track days I average a crash a year. A lot safer but still a crash. You get used to it after a while. No more special treatment from the missus. She just shrug the shoulders.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 pm

As others have said, the bike can be fixed just glad you came out of it OK(ish)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

madthemad

Postby madthemad » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:54 pm

All the best Colin, hope the physio goes well and quick.

Phil.
Nil Desperandum

big rob

Postby big rob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:09 pm

Hey Colin, a little extreme just to guarantee an extended summer break :wink: seriously though, it was a blessing Clare wasn't pillion on the day, get well soon.
All the best, Rob'n'Gail

gus

Postby gus » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:50 am

Hello
32 years s without a off, about bloody time!!! :D
In all seriousness, glad your relatively unscathed. Milk it with the missus!!!
All the best
Gus

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:16 am

Colin - you sure about buying a Cat C bike?

Category A - Vehicle must be crushed. All of it.
Category B - Bike may not be returned to road. Parts may be sold.
Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of bike.
Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn't want to.
Category F - Damaged by fire.
Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage.

My first GSA was a cat D, and that in itself can prove difficult to move on later. I kept mine for 5 yrs and put on 30,000 miles - which should have made a case for the integrity of the bike - but I'm not sure that a Cat C would carry that off?

Of course - if you are planning on stripping it, and selling the parts off on ebay (can be a good little earner) - then ignore the above.

Sounds like you were really unlucky with getting your ankle caught under the cylinder head - in most cases - those sticky-out things would protect your ankle.

Al
Last edited by Blackal on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

leasky

Postby leasky » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks for the info there Al.

The deal has been done and I have bought the bike back. The price I paid the insurance company is less then the cost of the Wilbur's I put on her 2 years ago. There is also a complete Ackrapovic system and about another 2 grand of stuff on her which I can strip and put onto my next one - looking to get one of the twin cam GSA's later in the year (not the LC model).

So, yes; I was comfortable enough buying it back from them as I have no intention of attempting to fix her but there was economic benefits to myself.

I still haven't received the written report detailing the damage although I did have a fairly in depth conversation with the mechanic at the BMW garage in Inverness when she was there as to how she looked and what was undamaged.

I am unsure if it is actually prudent for anyone to attempt a repair; albeit I have received some interest from a couple of guys over on the GS site who are keen to come and look at her once I get her back.
Leasky

Return to “My other bike's a...”