Not my 'other' but my latest.

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Thanks for that detailed response Nick! Perhaps I won't write off the DCT option just yet...

How much did they rush you for the chopped seat?

If it's a go-er (and that's a big IF), I shall be wanting the GT goodies - except for the screen extension. I'll bet there's no mixing and matching to be had with a new bike. It'll be 'standard' or GT - so I'd have to buy the seat on top, no doubt :roll:

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:41 am

I found the seat on ebay Mike. If you go ahead and buy a new bike you could probably get a dealer to do a little 'customizing' for you. TBH, these bikes, as far as I know, aren't exactly flying off the shelves on account of 'em being a bit pricey so a dealer might want to sweeten the deal. :wink:

Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:59 am

After all the talk of VFR1200s I thought I'd have a good look at the bike and have been for test rides on DCT and manual options.

Very disappointed with the DCT and almost figure that there must have been something wrong with it but the dealer said not. Notchy gear change, both up and down. Downshifts were particularly disappointing with noticeable load through the rear tyre as if the system wasn't blipping the throttle enough! The 'kickdown' was a little tardy too. Yes you can fiddle with gearbox modes but ....... more distraction from riding pleasure. I drive an S-Tronic equipped Audi and love it so was expecting similar on the DCT.....not so.

The manual was much nicer (normal).

Both were sure footed and swift. It was very easy to put on more speed behind the fairing than I was expecting and though the suspension on the manual felt it could do with some fiddling the DCT suspension was set such that it worked very well with me on board.
Last edited by jeznewsome on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Well I'm loving mine. Perhaps I'm too easily pleased. :D

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Well, managed a test ride on a manual Viffer. They sold the DCT model the day I went up :( . The one I tried was a brand spanker - 84 miles on the clock.

Came away a bit deflated tbh. The engine is powerful alright, but not as characterful as I'd hoped. There was a high frequency vibration at 80 - 90mph in top gear - felt through the old gentlemen's vegetables :shock: . I really couldn't get on with the throttle. It was like a hair trigger and made the bike really difficult to ride smoothly around town without using the clutch. It cornered like it was on rails and I didn't think it was particularly slow steering (the mantra from many pro road tests). I guess that could be because I'm used to the R11 Exon Valdiz :D . The suspension, well...it worked ok - no complaints. Perhaps that 'funny' telescopic fork front end will catch on? :lol:

All in all - underwhelming. It just didn't have that wow factor. At least it's stopped me from spending £14K I haven't got
:D

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Return to “My other bike's a...”