R1200RS & S1000R

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

R1200RS & S1000R

Postby slparry » Tue May 26, 2015 6:54 pm

OK not mine :) .... took the K in this morning for the recent recall and some other bits and bobs and they gave me an R12RS for a couple of hours, then an S1000R overnight.

Impressions.... the R12RS was surprisingly grunty, very nice, very flickable and lovely handling and brakes, incredibly "busy" LCD dash tho' hard to read to be honest, if pennies allowed I'd have one in a heartbeat.

The S1000R .... well... it wasn't helped by the fact it only had 10psi in the rear tyre so the first few miles where a bit odd :) You know when you take a dog for a walk that's not been trained and it constantly pulls on the lead dragging you around which ends up being a pretty unpleasant walk, well that's what the ride home on the S1000R was like. I found the lack of any screen a total PITA to be honest.

It's in my garage and I'm not in any rush to go out for a spin on it had it been the 12RS I'd not be writing this but would be out riding it :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue May 26, 2015 7:22 pm

I had the s1000r for a day a couple weeks back. Mine had the optional fully inflated tyres (£300 on the options list).

I loved it, although I thought it was bonkers. I stopped riding in my normal smooth manner and rode like a prat if I am honest, just to experience the brutal acceleration.

I would have one as a second bike if funds allowed.

I want to test ride the RS. I will have to see if I can get one booked in a couple weeks time.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Well, find a nice quiet straight piece of road and give it some stick from first chasing the red line. Don't hold back but really give it some. By the time you click into 3rd and the front is still light then you'll know what that thing is all about. Too much for the road but brilliant engine. Needs some stompgrip on the tank to make life more bearable.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Herb wrote:I had the s1000r for a day a couple weeks back. Mine had the optional fully inflated tyres (£300 on the options list).

I loved it, although I thought it was bonkers. I stopped riding in my normal smooth manner and rode like a prat if I am honest, just to experience the brutal acceleration.

I would have one as a second bike if funds allowed.

I want to test ride the RS. I will have to see if I can get one booked in a couple weeks time.

Funnily enough Jim, todays ride on it with the tyres filled with good Welsh air was a lot more fun and I actually enjoyed it, although as you say it has a negative impact on sensible riding :)

I'd imagined that after being on the 12RS and the S1R that I'd find the K old hat but to be honest I loved the ride home on it :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “My other bike's a...”