I'm not so sure

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

I'm not so sure

Postby fontana » Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

Our boss pulled in today in a new Mercedes C63 AMG.
One of the blokes who has a newish R1 sneered, reckoning his bike would make mincemeat of it.
I somehow doubt that, I told him.
He was having none of it, waxing lyrically about bhp per ton, power to weight ratio etc
I think in the old days, when even fast cars were crap, maybe but today there are some family hatchbacks that can hussle, and I don't think it's a given that a bike is going to get the best of a modern supercar.
I wouldn't take it on.
Would you ?

Herb

Re: I'm not so sure

Postby Herb » Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Unless Mr R1 rider is supremely talented the Merc will trounce him on anything with corners. Even in a straight line, though the R1 has the edge on paper, the Performace of the Merc is so much easier to access.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

big rob

Postby big rob » Tue May 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Herb wrote:Unless Mr R1 rider is supremely talented the Merc will trounce him on anything with corners. Even in a straight line, though the R1 has the edge on paper, the Performace of the Merc is so much easier to access.

have to agree, it's been tried before & 4-wheel traction wins every time when it comes to the twisties :roll:

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue May 02, 2017 7:19 pm

Glad to hear that I'm not completely off the mark.
I'm not a fast rider by any means, so may be I shouldn't judge other riders by my own standards, but once I got passed by a Fireblade and a Ford Focus ST on a fairly windy open country road.
They were having a tussle, and as I watched them disappear into the distance at an insane speed, that car was staying with him all the way.
I suppose in order to get the better of an average driver in a fast car, you have to be an exceptional rider, which most of us are not.
:oops:

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Same old, same old. Less to do with the vehicle and more to do with the rider/driver IMHO. It's unusual to get a capable fast driver and a capable fast rider that happen to come across each other out of the blue on the open road, it does happen, but very rarely. I say talented because anyone can go fast in a straight line, but its a different 'kettle of fish' to go through the bends fast. In the R1 riders defence, I believe an average rider will out run an average driver all day long, more talent accessing a bikes power than a cars. (He lit the fuse paper and stood well back :bounce: :blackeye: :lol: )
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue May 02, 2017 9:24 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:Same old, same old. Less to do with the vehicle and more to do with the rider/driver IMHO. It's unusual to get a capable fast driver and a capable fast rider that happen to come across each other out of the blue on the open road, it does happen, but very rarely. I say talented because anyone can go fast in a straight line, but its a different 'kettle of fish' to go through the bends fast. In the R1 riders defence, I believe an average rider will out run an average driver all day long, more talent accessing a bikes power than a cars. (He lit the fuse paper and stood well back :bounce: :blackeye: :lol: )

I agree, but I think it's much easier for an average driver to be quick these days.
Modern cars seem to do everything except steer themselves.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes - dead right as much to do with the respective abilities of the rider/driver as the vehicle.
This clip illustrates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGPZs8OZaaw
A very fast lad on an R1 only leaves the Renault Megane RS on punch out of the corners - everywhere else the car can catch up on the brakes and on corner grip.
That's why the 'Ring is a scary place now - too many wannabee's who might have the machinery but no clue, and rather a lot of guys (& women) in average cars and on average bikes who really know what they are doing.
John M

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 am

SP250> As always, its all about knowledge at the Ring and both those guys knew the track, very little braking and as smooth as silk and almost perfect racing lines everywhere. The relaxed sound in the car meant he was totally at ease at those speeds and no one messed up in front of them either, everyone they passed saw them in good time and moved over, excellent 8)

About the Ring, best times for me are evenings after its been open all day, all the wannabee's have gone to eat and drink and 'spray off' about how good they are and its only the fast knowledgable that are left :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Return to “My other bike's a...”