Awaiting a new R1250R Sports

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mac47

Awaiting a new R1250R Sports

Postby Mac47 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 am

Cannot get my new bike until 6th April after the official launch :( The most modern incarnation of the boxer engine ever. Wonder if it is as soulful as my old BoxerCup, loved that bike.

Mac

boxerscott

Re: Awaiting a new R1250R Sports

Postby boxerscott » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Chalk and cheese. I have the 1200 r lc with all toys. It makes my old bcr feel like well an old Bcr! Have you bought the sports handlebar option?

Not ready to take the plunge on a new 1250. The 1200 lc with the toys is a bloody fantastic bike so I am looking forward to your comments.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Mac47

Postby Mac47 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am

Hi Chris,

Not got the sports handle bars as being a bit of a large lad I don't want to be more uncomfortable than necessary :D

I test rode the R1200R for a whole day and found it to be first class, I then stupidly bought the GS :drunken: Its a good bike but a bit on the heavy sight if you have short legs. Having decided to bin that I have gone back to the R1250R in place of the R1200R. I'll drop a line on here once I take collection and get her out for a spin. The dealer tells me that from his demo day you can certainly tell the difference and the new digital dash and other goodies make a real difference. I know he would say that, but since you cannot order R1200 any more there was little choice.

The BCR is no doubt some way behind the R1250, but nostalgia can be a great draw in later life.

Cheers

Mac

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:56 pm

spotted in my local Motorrad boutique:

Nice.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Mac47

Postby Mac47 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi Paul,

Its the same as mine with the dynamic package, you can tell by the gold forks and chrome exhaust.

Its got the pannier fittings, which looks like the only difference.

Certainly looks the dogs, just wandering why my dealer says he does not have his in stock!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

Mac

xbpod

Postby xbpod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:37 am

Hi Mac

Hope your new R1250R arrived on time, I'm eagerly waiting your feedback, as I have been looking at these.

Pete.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:39 pm

BMW have advised us that the reason for the "shortage" of R1250R's and RS's is because production is rammed and preference is always given to the GS's as they're the top sellers

The situation will normalise soon.

We have an MSport R1250R in stock at the moment (not to call them MotorSport any longer on pain of death as the car MSport division have taken responsibility for spec and fit on MSport models)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

xbpod

Postby xbpod » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 am

So, is it so good he hasn't stopped riding it yet, or didn't arrive on time? :D

Mac47

Postby Mac47 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Guys,

The struggled to get BMW to release the bike, took the shine off it a bit and I had to resort to some strong words fired at BMW Customer Services to get the bike released :x

First report, stunning. The gearbox is a lot smoother and a lot quieter, no more thud into first and struggle between 3rd and 4th, up or down. There is definitely more torque with power on tap almost everywhere in the range. The new digital display, is the dogs danglers with lots of info and connectivity to helmets and iPod, no fuss at all. The new basic directions from the iPhone app are better than expected and used with Here maps means I don't need the overly expensive BMW Garmin GPS. Had it on my previous GS and it was a pain to use and basecamp nearly drove me insane :cry:

Jumping off the R1200R onto the new R1250 R I reckon the major changes would be the gear box, and the available torque. They both handle incredible well, so nothing in it there really. I have the dynamics pack which saves hassle messing about the suspension settings, just put it on auto and let it do its thing. You can then flick between road, and dynamic depending upon you mood.

Just done over 400 miles in 3 days just to make sure I got a reasonable opinion before putting pen to paper on here. Is the 1250 noticeably different to the 1200, in my opinion yes, but i guess I would say that :D

I have got an Akropovic fitted from BMW and it is a tad louder than the GS as well. I now have the original exhaust fitted just to see what the difference is. First impression from a quick ride to check fitting is that the original exhaust sounds juts as good, just not quite as loud. Time will tell.

Cheers

Mac

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm

Great News , Hope it is getting better by the ride. There is a real gushing preview of it in this weeks mcn. Could anyone say if the previous 1200r LC panniers and rails will transfer to the new shift cam jobbie? Not sure changing would work for me just at the moment. Certainly excited about it.

Enjoy.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat May 18, 2019 5:46 am

boxerscott wrote:Great News , Hope it is getting better by the ride. There is a real gushing preview of it in this weeks mcn. Could anyone say if the previous 1200r LC panniers and rails will transfer to the new shift cam jobbie? Not sure changing would work for me just at the moment. Certainly excited about it.

Enjoy.

Chris

Hi Chris, yes luggage will transfer over, as will exhausts etc it's only engine bars that won't transfer over. We have an MSport in the showroom with the two option packs if you're interested :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 pm

slparry wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Great News , Hope it is getting better by the ride. There is a real gushing preview of it in this weeks mcn. Could anyone say if the previous 1200r LC panniers and rails will transfer to the new shift cam jobbie? Not sure changing would work for me just at the moment. Certainly excited about it.

Enjoy.

Chris

Hi Chris, yes luggage will transfer over, as will exhausts etc it's only engine bars that won't transfer over. We have an MSport in the showroom with the two option packs if you're interested :D
AAaaaaaagghh get thee behind me Satan.. That`s great news Steve, not at the moment as said but may be interested around Xmas when i get bored and fed up

Chris
Fiat Panda.

Return to “My other bike's a...”