Not Mine, yet : V100 Mandello

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

Not Mine, yet : V100 Mandello

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 pm

So actually managed to blag a ride on one today, not actively looking for a change to my R1200RS but it will be a bike of interest in the future.

Overall very nice and accomplished. Nice spread of power and torque, certainly swift. Clunky gearbox (though the bike had less than 30 miles on it at the start). Felt a bit short seat to bar, though I appear to be one of the few people with a 1200RS that doesn't have handlebar riser fitted. Seat was comfortable but a 'one position' affair. It was the 'base' model I rode and for the conditions the suspension was fine. The V100S has both upgraded suspension and also more equipment as standard.

Image20230204_103031

Image20230204_111531

The other, major, concern is Piaggio's ability to provide accessories, servicing and spares. The dealer recognises their supply chain is a little flakey and unreliable. The Guzzi website is also woeful from a configurator and pricing PoV. And it's a brand new engine so potential for niggles.

That said an interesting and very competent machine and maybe one day once the platform has bedded in a little.

ianc53

Re: Not Mine, yet : V100 Mandello

Postby ianc53 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:07 pm

Thanks for the report. Getting a ride on a Mandello is on my 'to do' list, also to replace a R1200RS. It got a good review in MCN but like you I'm not sure about the service and support.

Something for a dry day in the coming months.

all the best

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:01 am

I'm surprised that you both are looking to replace an R1200RS with a Guzzi.
I realise that a change is as good as a rest, but what is wrong with the RS?
Detailed answers please, as the R1200RS is what I would aim for when funds allow.
John M

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:14 pm

I'm surprised that you both are looking to replace an R1200RS with a Guzzi.

You hit the nail on the head! There's nothing wrong with the RS, it's a great bike. Day-long comfortable, fast enough for me, not a GS and not an RT :D

I've had mine 6 years and although the 1250RS is a bit better it's not that much different. I would maybe have replaced the 1200 with a 1250 before now but the colour schemes were awful. However now they are doing a Motorsport one so may have to revisit that decision.

The Guzzi just has some of the things I like in a bike (mainly a drive shaft!) so thought I should check it out. As Jez said one worry is the support. Although I moan about them, having a Motorrad dealer 10 miles away (the service and MoT is December and they even do free pickup and delivery) is very handy.

All the best

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:05 pm

I'm in the same place as Ian, nowt wrong with my RS. The gap between it and a similarly equipped V100 is about £10K, too much money, but it is always worth looking, costs nothing!

TBH if I were to find some money then I am more likely to go for the new 1250RS, but again, can't see it being worth the £10K to change. Though as Ian suggests at least there is now a bearable colour scheme and a heated seat :-) !

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:12 am

The V100 had popped up on my radar as a potentially more socially acceptable alternative to my GS. I really had a soft spot for the Griso until hearing Boxerscott's experience of ownership, but I do like the left field looks of the V100, combined with the shaft drive. Having driven a "popular, but somehow unpopular" bike in the GS, I quite fancy something that I'm not going to see loads of other examples on the road.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 am

I was keeping my news under cover until it arrives, but this thread certainly is of interest.

Since the summer of covid lockdown Jenny hasn't ridden her bike so we are realising from here on our biking together will once again be two up.

So for over a year I have been waiting for the V100 to arrive, on paper it looks like the long awaited upgrade to my R1100S...

One (base model) finally landed in Falkirk in December, we sat on it, decided it was comfy and put down a deposit. There was no indication of when ours would arrive but I was third in the queue for a V100S. And of course had to worry about my Arai and Dainese not being green....

At that point I thought we really should have a look at the R1250RS by way of cognitive dissonance ... Lo and behold we decided the R1250RS is an easier reach to the ground, feels better made, has some track record for reliability and of course can be configured in colours that match my white/red/blue Arai.

So deposit was transferred, and the RS is expected to arrive in UK on 9th March. :bounce:
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

Al

Postby Al » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:09 pm

Never been a great Guzzi fan but a lot of the guys on the GS Forum really like the V85, some of them had the same doubts about after service and accessories as mentioned in a previous post, but it seems to be popular and gets good reviews and the V100 will most likely be the same, when I was looking to change my GS I took a V85 for a test ride and it was ok but in the end decided to stay with a BMW, I test rode an RS but didn’t like the riding position, the bars felt too narrow ( especially after a GS) and too far forward and I knew it would be painful for my knees as well which is why I sold my 1100s, which was shame as I wanted to like the RS.
I was playing around with the app that shows the various ergonomic variations of a bike and the 1200R looked a better fit and after a test ride that is what I now have, I feels sort of in the middle of the GS & the RS, I have got the high seat and a footrest lowering kit on it and very happy with it. Hopefully it will get us to Llangollen.

Al.
Edit, I did initially test ride the 1250R but with the mileage I do couldn’t justify the £5k difference between a fully loaded low mileage 1200 and a lower spec 1250.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Return to “My other bike's a...”