Suzuki TL 1000 S

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

julian

Suzuki TL 1000 S

Postby julian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:19 pm

Suzuki TL 1000 S

Pick her up next week & will be fettled with new fork springs and an Ohlins damper c/o MC Technics.

Will hopefully stem the craving for an R1200S / KTM 950SM until next year.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Wahey!! You did it then! 8) 8)

Enjoy. :)

(and gissa go mister) ;)

julian

Postby julian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:35 pm

Gromit wrote:Wahey!! You did it then! 8) 8)

Enjoy. :)

(and gissa go mister) ;)

Yep. It was a tough call between this TL and a used KTM 950SM with Akrapovic system. Even when the TL's suspenders are sorted It worked out 3,500 quid less.
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:38 pm

julian wrote:
Yep. It was a tough call between this TL and a used KTM 950SM with Akrapovic system. Even when the TL's suspenders are sorted It worked out 3,500 quid less.

Awesome bike - the type of which there isn't enough of these days. Got to be worth it for the noise alone. :)

Rods

Postby Rods » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:42 pm

Looks good Julian! Will you be bringing it along to MAM at some point? How did you get on with the rest of the course?

julian

Postby julian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:13 pm

Hi Rods - I enjoyed the course. Just need to do the test now.
Maybe see you at next month's meeting.
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

paulR

Postby paulR » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:16 am

Congrats, Julian. I've got a '97 TL1000S (and a KTM 950SM and a R1200S :D ). I was going to part-ex my TL when I bought the R1200S but I couldn't bring myself to accept the derisory trade-in value. I've had the TL for over 7 years now and I still haven't ridden anything with a better engine. I almost sold it when I bought the KTM. I took off most of the goodies I had bought for it over the years and put it back to almost standard but ended up keeping it.

paulR

Postby paulR » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:20 am

Just had a look at your TL pics - very nice! Same colour as mine, is it a '97 model? If you want any advice about anything give me a shout :thumbleft:

julian

Postby julian » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks Paul, you have my dream garage choice. Yes it is the early full power version in red which accentuates the TL's 'challengeing' looks. I also wanted the Yoshi pipes for Banzai-bling factor.

What do you have for suspension? I've heard the TL steers like a supertanker stock & decent suspension transorms them - can you confirm? I recon at at 18k miles everything will be rather spongy so plan progressive front springs/oil change in the forks and an Ohlins damper rear. The chap at MC Technics used to race a TL so I'm happy to take his advice. Ride in/out fitting & set up service is 680 quid. Not sure about repacing the separate spring or streering damper. Maxton also do a system that may be cheaper.

That's all I have planned right now other than a set of Pilot Powers and an MPH speedo mask. I've haven't even sat on a TL yet let alone ridden one so I think the BHP hike up from the S will be a shock to the system.

Look forward to comparing notes.

JK
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

paulR

Postby paulR » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi Julian. Regarding suspension....I have progressive fork springs fitted along with heavier weight oil, which stops the front diving too much under braking. I did have a Bitubo rear shock which replaced the rotary damper and the spring but have taken that off and sold it now. To be honest, I don't think the rotary damper is all that bad - having returned it back to standard from the Bitubo I don't feel there is that much difference. Mine has done just over 20K miles. In my opinion it is definitely worth replacing the stock steering damper as it is very stiff. I have an adjustable Sprint damper which, together with going down to a 180 rear tyre, has made the steering much quicker.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the engine, its a cracker :D I am still in two minds whether to sell my TL next year but I may try to hang on to it. I think it could well become a bit of a classic.

Cheers, Paul

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:31 pm

I originally went looking for a TL-S before ending up with my 1200 Bandit. I couldn't find a TL for love nor money. I ended up keeping the B12 for nearly 7 years before selling it for bits earlier this year after buying the 1100S.

They have an aggressive frontal view which I reckon must scare people out of the way!

Enjoy the new toy.

julian

Postby julian » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:18 pm

First Impressions after 90 miles back from beyond Ipswich.

:shock: And that's just the fuel consumption. Makes the S look ecconomical.

More power than I can shake a stick at. Back spins up at 100 slightly leaning over & accelerating on the wet smooth motorway. On the straight it just pulls and pulls.

Slow corners are like wrestling an 8 foot crocodile into a broom cupboard. We forget how good the S is. I'll see if new tyres (Pilot Powers) improve matters before tackling the suspension as the current hoops are well past their sell by date & mismatched.

Low speed fuelling is snatchy. All the reports said the early full power versions were, so no surprise there (glad I know what that feels like now).

Surprisingly roomy.

Brake light doesn't work when front brake is applied. My Spidey Sense checked it out halfway through the journey.

All in all I'm very pleased so far.
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:01 pm

julian wrote:

Slow corners are like wrestling an 8 foot crocodile into a broom cupboard.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Made me smile that.

julian wrote:

All in all I'm very pleased so far.

Nice one - looking forward to seeing, and hearing it. :)

winger

Postby winger » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:08 am

Hi Jules

Re the KTM SM when we were away the the weekend four turned up!!! looks like their becoming very fashionable!!.

paulR

Postby paulR » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:08 am

[quote="julian"]:shock: And that's just the fuel consumption. Makes the S look ecconomical.

Low speed fuelling is snatchy. All the reports said the early full power versions were, so no surprise there (glad I know what that feels like now).

quote]

I usually get low to mid 40's mpg from my TL. The 950SM is even worse. :( I'm pleasantly surprised by the fuel consumption on the R1200S though. Admittedly I am running it in but the trip computer is showing aroud 57mpg - very impressive.

Regarding the fuelling on the TL, it is worth checking the adjustment of the TPS as this can make a big difference. Going back to the standard cans has helped mine also.

Return to “My other bike's a...”