L'oiseau noir

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Al

Postby Al » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Gromit said
Lovely day for biking, and taking photos too...

Allright for some!! retirement going well then Richard :)

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:01 am

Al wrote:Allright for some!! retirement going well then Richard :)

Al.

Well sort of, Al. Really hoping to get a job to be honest, but despite having done a lot of applications I haven't even had a sniff of an interview yet. Whilst it's been very handy me being at home (childcare is a non-issue as a result) there comes a point when the novelty of it wears off - that point came and went a couple of months ago. Whilst I'm not usually one to air my washing in public, it's actually quite depressing. The RAF's re-settlement teams (Career Transition Partnership) are very good in terms of teaching interview technique/CV writing etc but there's little or no help for those leaving and how it can affect them personally. I miss the Firm big style - and I sincerely thought I'd never say that.

Fingers crossed something will come up - as for retiring 'full time' I've no plans to, put it that way.

Al

Postby Al » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Hope you find something soon Richard, I guess you are looking for a music teaching type job? Easier for me as engineering covers a wider range of jobs. On the upside, childcare costs aside you get to spend more time with your kids than most dads manage.

Al.
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Suzuki VanVan 125

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Very true Al - thankful for that, certainly. :)

Ann (Mrs Gromit) got pinged for 4 months in Afghanistan late last week, only 10 days before deployment date, so things are a bit stressful here at the moment. She's presently up at Leeming on IDT until the end of this week, will get to see us for a couple of days at the end of that then she's off to Bastion.

As a footnote - if I'm a bit short with people on the forum over the next few weeks, I hope they'll understand. Only what many hundreds of Service familes go through, but it doesn't make it any easier. It's bringing back vivid memories of going to the Gulf at the end of 1990. :?

Al

Postby Al » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Thats a bit harsh, 10 days notice, I presume somebody else pulled out. There are enough ex whatevers on here to understand if you are a bit off for a while and want to sound off occaisionally. Hope time goes quickly and above all safely.

Al.
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Suzuki VanVan 125

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks Al.

Looks like this is going to be a new role, one which is a sort of 're-settlement' team for local employees (interpreters etc etc). Apart from that she knows very litte (read: nothing) about what'll be going on.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Our horse chestnut is almost out of leaf...and it's attracting Blackbird nests...

Al

Postby Al » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:20 pm

New or old camera? Kids not driving you mad yet then or is the photography your therapy, must be about half way through mrs Gromits tour?

Al.
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Suzuki VanVan 125

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 am

Al wrote:New or old camera?

Taken on my Fuji X100 as its image quality is actually better than the EOS 7D. It's a stunning little camera.

I'm starting a professional photography course in January (NVQ 4) so getting some practice in. Had a couple of paid commissions (commercial) which has been encouraging, and will hopefully have my own website up and running soon.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:01 pm

Is everything digital now? A guy I met through work was a part time photographer who used to use B & W a lot but was finding it difficult to find a good B & W developer who didn't charge the earth. He said that digi B & W still wasn't as good as acetate. I know things have moved on a lot so is that still the case? If it is I have a brand new boxed Durst enlarger!! :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 pm

dave the german wrote:Is everything digital now? A guy I met through work was a part time photographer who used to use B & W a lot but was finding it difficult to find a good B & W developer who didn't charge the earth. He said that digi B & W still wasn't as good as acetate. I know things have moved on a lot so is that still the case? If it is I have a brand new boxed Durst enlarger!! :wink:

Medium format film, boys and girls. It's the future don't you know.

In fairness, I take a Lumix GF1 with 20mm F1.7 when I go on a long bike trip but I do love that big film and will walk around with an MF camera all day and usually take one with me on a 'non' bike holiday.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:12 pm

dave the german wrote: If it is I have a brand new boxed Durst enlarger!! :wink:

I hope that's not - what I think it is............... :shock:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Blackal wrote:
dave the german wrote: If it is I have a brand new boxed Durst enlarger!! :wink:

I hope that's not - what I think it is............... :shock:

Al :wink:

:shock: I fear the Durst.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:19 pm

:roll: :roll: :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “My other bike's a...”