L'oiseau noir

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Rods

Postby Rods » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:00 pm

gus wrote:Blimey richard,yours does look shiny and new!

That's cos the previous owner looked after it so well, it has nothing to do with the fact that Richard spent more time on Saturday cleaning it than I did in a year :wink:
Another brilyunt mind diztroyed

by the publik edukashun sistum.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Got a couple of better pictures now (including new fairing panel on the 'Bird) plus a sneaky one of da new motah... afraid it's not as spangly as Paul's new one though (although it does go a bit for a tractor engine) :)

Had Jaws do the Bird's 32k service last friday - this is basically a biggy; valves, carb-balance, the lot. Came to 137 quid or approx 80 quid more than doing it myself. I'll do everything bar valve clearances tbh - shim adjustment on a DOHC IL4 isn't my idea of fun. Je suis un lapin content. :)

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:34 pm

£137 for a 32000 service, No wonder your a happy bunny. Time to trade for a Honda me thinks??

Regards Peter.

Archie

Postby Archie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:36 pm

Gromit wrote:shim adjustment on a DOHC IL4 isn't my idea of fun.

Very shiny sir, do you want to come to my gaff to hone your bike cleaning skills. There's a few here to practice on!!

I agree about IL4 valves, but you want to try desmo shimming :shock:

Valve shimming is probably the least satisfying service task ever, for me anyway.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Archie wrote:
Very shiny sir, do you want to come to my gaff to hone your bike cleaning skills. There's a few here to practice on!!

I agree about IL4 valves, but you want to try desmo shimming :shock:

Valve shimming is probably the least satisfying service task ever, for me anyway.

I've 'heard' about the 'fun' one can have with shimming Desmo valvegear. No thanks. :D

To be honest I once had a go at shimming a DOHC IL4 - my old Kawasaki GPz550 which I rebuilt the motor on. Took the cams out, removed the head and turned it upside down to check what the valve faces looked like. 8 buckets along with all their shims fell out onto the floor and got totally mixed up. I'm just glad it wasn't a CBX :D

Should've said - none of the clearances were out on the Blackbird which no doubt helped keep the cost down.

Archie

Postby Archie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:37 pm

Gromit wrote:Should've said - none of the clearances were out on the Blackbird which no doubt helped keep the cost down.

Major plus about a Jap bike, there's nowt to service other than oil and filters etc.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:30 pm

Coming out to play today daddy....?

(taken at 0730 today) :)

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:46 pm

nice pics Gromit..

you still got the S? cos I still have your twinmax.... :oops:

Hopefully sneak out on a brekkie run sometime soon to return it, or pm me your address and I'll post it to you (Flat DIY permitting..)

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:42 am

Ade B wrote:nice pics Gromit..

you still got the S? cos I still have your twinmax.... :oops:

Hopefully sneak out on a brekkie run sometime soon to return it, or pm me your address and I'll post it to you (Flat DIY permitting..)

Ade

No problems Ade - there's no rush re the Twinmax as I no longer have a 'twin' any more. :(

Hope to catch up with you on a brekkie morning though sometime.

It almost seems a sin to admit it but despite my traditional long-held contempt for H0ndas I'm really enjoying the Blackbird. It's bloody quick (no surprises there) and with a 7.5mm spacer under the rear shock (plus a couple of other mods) it handles really well.

BXR12NT

Postby BXR12NT » Wed May 16, 2007 5:58 am

Its with a touch of sadness that I report the sale of my 98, Red , Blackbird. Just 53000 km old she did me well for nearly nine years , tackling with aplomb everything I threw at her . Tropical heat never moved the temp guage above 1/3rd on the move( it did turn the top of the tank a sort of metallic pink though) , Eastern Creek , Phillip Island, Mallala and Hidden Valley race tracks did nothing to her,apart from planeing down the alternator cover, exhausts and lower fairings and apart from two cam chain tensioners she never needed anything other than basic servicing .

Until recently we had no open road speed limit which the old girl loved , bowling along two up (the Mrs and I are well padded) at well past 200kmh for hours at a time . These are exceptionally good bikes and I will miss her , except of course now I can devote much more time to my new true love , my R 1200S .

Bye bye, Blackbird Bye Bye,

Col

1998 Honda Blackbird (Red) Departed
2006 Bmw R1200S ( Black )
An Ego driven, meat based, space time transporter

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 pm

Home after another fabulous w/e away with the Trixters - a bit mucky, but still loved. Not looking bad for 46000 miles old (and still on the original chain and sprockets) :)

Will be looking nice and shiny again soon. :)

Rods

Postby Rods » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:31 pm

Rods wrote:
That's cos the previous owner looked after it so well

What I said! :wink:
Another brilyunt mind diztroyed

by the publik edukashun sistum.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Rods wrote:
Rods wrote:
That's cos the previous owner looked after it so well

What I said! :wink:

Hell's Bells!! The prodigal returns!!

You now know what to do Tom - get yerself back on 2 wheels with an engine mate ;)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:31 pm

As of this month, the old girl's a teenager - 73000 miles and still riding/looking great:

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Looking good! :) not bad at all for its age.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

Return to “My other bike's a...”