an R75/6 which is I start to overhaul now!

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Lars1974

an R75/6 which is I start to overhaul now!

Postby Lars1974 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:21 pm

hi guys,

as i bought an old Beemer a few weeks ago I am now starting to get her back on the road in better shape as she was when she first rolled off the BMW production line 34 yrs ago...

the bike is running, but the front forks are shagged...so they will get a complete overhaul and progressive fork springs put in.
I will also change the brake line for the front disc brake to a nice stainless steel as the current rubber line is parished and stopping power is all but existing! :shock:

Once that work is completed and i have cleaned all components I will than perform a complete service inc. change of all fluids.

as for parts: I ordered everything from Motobins - which was no problem at all and part arrived overnight..Big Thanks to Skiddy @ Motobins!
here are a few pics.

i have started polishing her already and the result are not too bad at all...see the carbs:
OLD:
POLISHED

here are the goodies for the overhaul!

I will keep you guys posted on the progress and you never you might see me on it shortly...

Lars

PS: Anybody got any tips or trick re Fork rebuilding please let me know...as i am still learning!!!
The Power of Dreams comes true for me...
-----------------------------------------------
No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:08 pm

I used to have a 1986 R80RT. I think the forks looked slightly different but are probably similar to work on. Compared to the Diversion that I had until recently the forks were a joy to work on. You could change the seals without taking springs out, you could drain them without taking the legs out you could fill them without taking out the springs, You could also do the seals without taking off the mudguard. I could do seals on the R80 in about 1 hour 10 minutes. On the Diversion it was a 3 hour job.

make sure you have decent Allen keys or Allen headed sockets it makes like easier if they are at all mangled when you get them out buy new ones. I got mine from a local agricultural supplier but a good hardware shop or motor factors should be able to help they are just bolts after all and don't need to come from a BMW parts catalogue.

Are your down pipes Stainless Steel? If they are have you tried washing them with Wonder Wheels wheel cleaner (or Tescos wheel cleaner) Then rinse and dry them, then using a long piece of rag wrapped around them use Solvol Auto sol. They should come up a treat. I found that just using autosol did not touch the discolouration, wonder wheels seems to cut through the oxidisation which allows the polish to do its work. finish of with MER car polish. I know that it will burn off but it holds back the re oxidisation process for a bit longer than normal.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:48 pm

hey, thanks for the tips..
yes, the down pipes are stainless steel - i think the entire exhaust is reasonable new...so i will give the polishing like you say a go.

thx Lars

No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:52 pm

Blimey, a good old set of points, havent seem them for a few years :lol:

The carbs look all BING and shiney :wink:
---------------------------

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:21 pm

hi guys,

i have spent the entire day today working on the R75/6...
the taks for today were:
upgrade the front forks and fit progressive springs
upgrade the front brake with new stainless steel hose...

all went well and i did clean the parts a bit too...

here are some pics:

old fork seal
old fork leg left

this the left leg cleaned and the right leg still dirty...
more work to be done
here are the fork seals in...

filthy brake cylinder...its under the tank so tank had to come off
here cleaned up
fitted new stainless steel brake line...

new fork springs went in...

and here the new front wheel completed.

it took a long time but the old forks were completely shagged and new ones feel sooo much better...

I will keep you posted on the process of the restauration...

Enjoy,
Lars

Karlos

Postby Karlos » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Lars,
Nice bike. Looks like it´s gonna be a lot of work but it will be worth it. 8)
Viel Spass.
Un saludo

Karlos

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Lars

I hope those fork seals are the correct way round :?

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:52 pm

hi Phil,

i think i made a mistake and got them the wrong way round...Do'h!
its not leaking at the moment..but what do you reckon..should i take everything apart again and try and swap them round?
let me know...
thx Lars

darkness

Postby darkness » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Lars

I would be surpised if they last very long being upside down, I would take them apart and turn the seal, you should be able to get them out without damage.

Like the bike, it looks a good one.

Darkness

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:06 pm

Lars

They will leak very soon as you are sealing on the wiper-lip and wiping with the seal-lip. Better to change them now before they need to be replaced :(

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 pm

ok, thanks for the explanation. i will definetely change them round... i hope i dont brake when i take them out, but they should be ok as i put a little grease on before i put them in....

thanks for spotting it.
i had no real idea which way round to do them and just took a chance...
but i learned something now... :D
Thanks
Lars

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:29 am

hi guys,

another quick update on the restauration process.
my order set of Stainless Steel Screws arrive from the U.S.

i got them off ebay from http://www.desmoparts.com/bmw/index.htm
the kits is very nicely packed and clearly labelled. i will probably have a couple or Hours time tomorrow to a) swap the fork seals round b) start replacing screws as most of the original ones are badly rusted and look horrible.

here is picture of the screw set...i notice they are doing one for the R1100s too...

i will keep you posted on progress...you never know you might see me out on it soon!
:shock:
Lars

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi guys,

just to keep you in the loop....i took the old girl out for a run today and she ran very nice indeed....
when i return i changed the gearbox, bevel drive and rear drive oils.
so the service is now complete apart from the ignition timing, but i have feeling when i take cover off there might be an electronic ignition waiting for me...someone has definetly upgrade the electrics on the bike before...

anyway, will keep you posted...
loads more polishing to do mind...
chat soon
Lars

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:24 am

Hi guys,

after getting the old girl MOT'd on Monday - with no problems at all - today i started fitting some of the stainless steel screw & nuts i purchase via Ebay....

the pictures say it all. its quiet a nice & easy way to add some shine into the old girl.

here are a few pics...

anyway, i will keep posting updates here...maybe this easter weekend you will see me out on here either at the ACE or the Fox diner....lets hope for some sunshine and not too cold weather as no heated grips!
:oops:

Anyway, have fun and chat soon guys.
Lars

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:40 am

hi guys,
here is another update on the restauration progress of the old girl..
whilst i had alot of business travel lately i got my wheel respoked and bits vapour blasted.

the results are stunning:

old wheels and bits:

re-worked wheels and bits.

in the next few weeks i will re-assemble everything and than you may see me at the Ace or the Fox on her!!!

thx Lars

Return to “My other bike's a...”