Hello All...

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Buggs

Hello All...

Postby Buggs » Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Hello to all....

Found the site via Ride magazine as looking to purchase a R1100S.

Have been ridding for many years, live in east kent and had mostly sport type bikes in the past. An R6, R1, ZX9R, Firestorm and currently ridding an original CBR600 to name but a few.

However due to comutting every day around 80 miles into London, feel it is time to get a shaft drive.

Have to be honest and say that i never thought i would look at a BMW bike but after ridding a few and seeing many friends buy one, i can now see the attraction and advantages. Especially after a recent 140 mile trip mostly on Motorway, which left me with a few aches and pains.

Has anyone got any tips on buying a R1100S and running costs like servicing. Do you have to use BMW or are normal bike shops happy to work on them.

Love the look of the Boxer Cup replica but dont think budget will run that high.

Any hints and tips would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks
Buggs

big rob

Postby big rob » Thu May 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi Buggs, welcome to the site :)

You can't go wrong with an 1100s, great bikes, i've owned mine for 6-years and have put 43K on it.

Servicing is fairly straight forward you can do most of it yourself, you'll get lots of usefull help & advice from other Trixters.

Keep us posted on your search for a 1100s

Rob'n'Gail :D

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Thu May 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Another one for Kent :thumbleft: welcome.

Recently got rid of my S (now on a GS) but they are really easy to work on although I have not tackled the valves yet.
Whereabouts in The Garden are you? I am in Sidcup.
No longer a motorcycle owner.

Buggs

Postby Buggs » Sat May 03, 2008 9:58 am

Hi JoeC

I am down in Sittingbourne and thanks for the welcome..

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat May 03, 2008 10:31 am

Hi Buggs - welcome to our merry band. :)

All Boxers are very easy to work on - only slightly awkward bit is getting to the battery (it lives under the rear of the fuel tank). Apart from that it's no great problem - valve clearances can be done in less than 30 mins (try that on a VFR!) and balancing the throttle bodies, once you've had a bit of practice, is a simple affair.

As to dealer servicing - there are a few independent BMW guys out there now (some are ex-BMW employees I've no doubt), Jap & German in London being a good example.

As to buying an 11S, they're getting quite cheap now and represent a lot of bike for the money. Go for one which has at least 15k on the clock (it'll be nearer run-in) and has been kept clean. Finish isn't brilliant but apart from that they're a safe buy.

Enjoy it! :)

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:14 pm

big rob wrote:Hi Buggs, welcome to the site :)

You can't go wrong with an 1100s, great bikes, i've owned mine for 6-years and have put 43K on it.
Rob'n'Gail :D

Must be all those wrong turns you do :lol: Hows the digestive stock Gail

Sorry Buggs, bit of a hijack there, welcome from me too
---------------------------

sussexgirl

Postby sussexgirl » Mon May 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Buggs,

I just bought my 1100S last week. I absolutely love it! I'm not used to sports bikes at all, but I think the riding position is very comfortable. It's a very easy to ride bike.

Mine came from a BMW dealer (South London Motorcycles, in Caterham), so it came with a 1 year warranty and had been fully serviced etc, prior to buying- which meant a new rear disc, new tyres front and back and some other bits and bobs I've forgotten.

Most of the ones I was looking at were around the *gulp* £5000 mark, including panniers, ABS, heated grips. But they gave me a good part ex for my old bike and were quite happy to bargain a bit.

I guess it depends where you are in terms of servicing- I've had 2 other BMWs and never found the servicing costs excessive- they don't need servicing as often as some other bikes and I haven't had any problems with rusty exhausts, which threatened to be an issue for my little Honda.

Bender

Postby Bender » Mon May 05, 2008 9:45 pm

All we need now are some Kent/Sussex ride outs.

I can't do Sunday mornings as a rule (Except the ACE Cafe BMW Bikes Day)

But Sunday pm are usually OK...

Let's put some suggestions along with meeting places in the 'days out' thread...
2011 Harley-Davidson FLD Switchback - yeah, I know. I've always wanted one though...

Return to “New Trixters?”