'owdoo

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

demic77

'owdoo

Postby demic77 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Eyup all,

I'm about to jump back in to bikes after a 7 year break and I want to run this by you all.
After much research I'd convinced myself that a Fazer 600 was the bike to get myself back on 2 wheels with. Then I remembered the yellow and grey R1100S I drooled over every day parked near Manchester Crown Court when I was on jury service a few years back. Single sided swingarm, underseat cans, I love 'em. I've had a quick look and an older/higher miles one is within my budget. Question is, would it be too much too soon after such a break? I'm not throttle happy, never have been, 35y/o dad, husband and paramedic who's attended more than one fatal bike crash. I've never had a BMW either so pointers would be nice. So what do you reckon? BMW? Or Fazer for a bit and then trade up later?

Cheers 'n' beers, Andy :-)

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:53 am

After years on older bikes i fell in love with the looks of a thiumph speed four i was running a FJ1100 at the time i thought the triumph would be quicker lighter therefore better suited to me, i test rode a datona the same bike but with a fairing thought i liked it and bought the speed four and HATED it all revs no go 10.000 revs to pull away then out of steam by 12.500 so all my riding was done between those revs [no way to keep my licence] great fun but a pain in the ass when i wanted a bimble or when i had my Ann on the back , that is my only experiance of a modern 600

The R1100S will bimble, tour, scratch, the bl00dy lot one up or two up it don't care i don't have to mess about with suspension settings if Ann wants to come out for a run or if i am out scratching [playing with the sunday power rangers] [should i say pi55ing them off when they realise it's a rat bike with a walking stick bungied to the rack and a BMW at that]

Last year i was on a run to the lake district with two Fazer 1000's a Suzuki 1400 and a XJ 900 the only comments were F##k thats quick i was in the red line trying to keep with you on that overtake, i should at this time point out that the other bikes with me got home under their own steam i came home thanks to AA recovery the Hall sensor went but i saved a good few bob on fuel costs and was dry all the way home :lol:

Let's try to sum up the Fazer 600 will do everything you want it to but if your anything like me you will get bored of it very quickly.

The R1100S is a bit of a bitch, the gearchange is horrible, but you get used to it, handling is great, it's wide filtering will catch you out now and again
It has a soul it's the sort of bike you will fall in love with and you can fix it yourself [with a bit of help from this forum]

I bet you have guessed by now i would go for the BMW i have had mine coming up to 5 years now and don't feel the need to change

Hope this helps Dai

EDIT Got that a bit wrong the Triumph would pull away from lower revs but nothing would happen untill it was at 10,000 then all the power was gone by 12,500 with Ann on the back the front would come up at 10,000 in the first three gears
Last edited by Dai wiskers on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:00 am

Forgot to say fill in user CP tell us where your from who you are etc you have already said your age married and a dad [so not gay then] but not where your from it helps in future when we or you want or need something
bikermed69 is a paramedic but not been on for a while due to doing a road trip halfway round the world [Mike report in FFS] in a porche
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 am

I bet in purely performance terms the Fazer and the 1100 are not that far apart. The 1100 wont be too much for you. In fact I would suggest in the early days you will find it easier with lots of easy to access torque on the 1100 over the Fazer.

And while you will get bored of the Fazer after a season, the 1100 could be the last bike you ever need or want if you gel with it.

As Dai says, they make a pretty good fist of most types of riding. They even make a more than passable fist at a trackday.

If you buy the Fazer, you will regret not getting the bike you really want. If you buy the 1100 I am pretty sure you won't regret not buying a Fazer.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 pm

'owdoo to you too. :lol:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:48 pm

Nah then!
Big Scottish Al

demic77

Postby demic77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 pm

Cheers all, much appreciated :) Just back from a cross border raid to t' wrong side o' t' pennines for a nosey at one. '02 plate 40k on the clock BMWSH for six years up to 30k then some bills for bits (cam chain tensioner and other bits) from motor works and a Hagon front shock. It has an oil leak from somewhere under the left hand cylinder and one heated grip isn't working. It's in a dealer and he says he'll sort the faults, do the oil and filters and put 12 months MOT on it. Tyres were ok, pair of michelins, back one just starting to square off a bit. Front calipers were a but furry as were a few of the bolt heads but I believe thats about normal? I'm tempted. What do you reckon??

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi and welcome,
Depends upon price really but you can't do better than this one if funds allow.
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17125

Peter.

demic77

Postby demic77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Cheers all, much appreciated :) Just back from a cross border raid to t' wrong side o' t' pennines for a nosey at one. '02 plate 40k on the clock BMWSH for six years up to 30k then some bills for bits (cam chain tensioner and other bits) from motor works and a Hagon front shock. It has an oil leak from somewhere under the left hand cylinder and one heated grip isn't working. It's in a dealer and he says he'll sort the faults, do the oil and filters and put 12 months MOT on it. Tyres were ok, pair of michelins, back one just starting to square off a bit. Front calipers were a but furry as were a few of the bolt heads but I believe thats about normal? I'm tempted. What do you reckon??

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 pm

demic77 wrote:Cheers all, much appreciated :) Just back from a cross border raid to t' wrong side o' t' pennines for a nosey at one. '02 plate 40k on the clock BMWSH for six years up to 30k then some bills for bits (cam chain tensioner and other bits) from motor works and a Hagon front shock. It has an oil leak from somewhere under the left hand cylinder and one heated grip isn't working. It's in a dealer and he says he'll sort the faults, do the oil and filters and put 12 months MOT on it. Tyres were ok, pair of michelins, back one just starting to square off a bit. Front calipers were a but furry as were a few of the bolt heads but I believe thats about normal? I'm tempted. What do you reckon??

Have you got a link to the dealer site so we can take a gander?
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

demic77

Postby demic77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

This one. Cheers :)

demic77

Postby demic77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:21 pm

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/124937/used-bikes.htm[/url]

Sorry, broken link, try again :oops: Its not letting me link to the specific bike but its on here.

demic77

Postby demic77 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Herman, that looks mint but it's just a bit out of budget.

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

They have a nice 1200s in Silver if you feel like blowing the budget, at a not unreasonable (for a dealer) £4.5k.

I would want to know more about the oil leak on the 1100s.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi,
I would still be very tempted by f90x's bike, Less miles and ££s worth of usefull extras. As herb says the oil leak would be of concern on the dealer bike. Good luck with your search.

Peter.

Return to “New Trixters?”