Chris from Hampshire, after an R1100S.

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

GSXR-Chris

Chris from Hampshire, after an R1100S.

Postby GSXR-Chris » Sun May 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Hello.

As you may have guessed, shock horror my other bike is a suzuki GSXR 750 ( a fabulous bike stop the head shakes)
I am thinking of buying an R1100S for longer road journeys. I would like to know any particular things to look out for on them?
Also if you know of one for sale for less than 3K near Basingstoke hampshire please get in touch. I do have an SV650 to sell but I doubt anyone on here would want it :lol:
Thanks for your time guys and girls.
Chris.

slparry

Re: Chris from Hampshire, after an R1100S.

Postby slparry » Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm

GSXR-Chris wrote:Hello.

As you may have guessed, shock horror my other bike is a suzuki GSXR 750 ( a fabulous bike stop the head shakes)
I am thinking of buying an R1100S for longer road journeys. I would like to know any particular things to look out for on them?
Also if you know of one for sale for less than 3K near Basingstoke hampshire please get in touch. I do have an SV650 to sell but I doubt anyone on here would want it :lol:
Thanks for your time guys and girls.
Chris.

Hi Chris

One of the main things, especially when coming from a Japanese 4 is to adjust the way you ride an 11S.

When I first got mine I hated it, but persevere and get used to it's different, loping lazy riding style and you'll find it as quick as anything in the real world.

Don't try revving it like a 4 or whizzing up and down the box like a small sports bike :)

After a month of riding it, it will all slot into place and make sense :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun May 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Welcome, Chris - I ride a H*nda so don't worry about having a Gixxer 750. 8)

It's often said about BMW Boxers (and the 1100S in particular):

1. Ride it for an hour and you'll hate it.
2. Ride it for a morning and you'll start to 'get it'.
3. Ride it for a couple of days and it all makes sense.

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 pm

Gromit wrote:Welcome, Chris - I ride a H*nda so don't worry about having a Gixxer 750. 8)

It's often said about BMW Boxers (and the 1100S in particular):

1. Ride it for an hour and you'll hate it.
2. Ride it for a morning and you'll start to 'get it'.
3. Ride it for a couple of days and it all makes sense.

Ride it for a couple of months and it will be recalled to fix something BMW should have designed properly in the first place.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun May 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Herb wrote:
Ride it for a couple of months and it will be recalled to fix something BMW should have designed properly in the first place.

:lol:

Fair point, well made. :D

eyore

Postby eyore » Sun May 31, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi and welcome. tHe R11S will make a great second bike, I would categorise it as a great all rounder and despite its oddities (to a boxer noob) its a fine machine.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun May 31, 2015 9:01 pm

You adjust to the boxer engine very quickly. The Telelever front takes a little more time. At first it feels slightly disconnected from the road, but after a while you learnt to trust it and it allows for very brisk riding on the road.

Nothing much to look out for. The normal stuff given that any bike you look at will at least 9 years old, and probably more like 12+.

Make sure it's straight, check for oil leaks around the back of the gearbox / clutch. Check the final drive for leaks and lateral play. Don't necessarily expect a full service history. Don't worry if the owner has self serviced, but ask to see lots of receipts.

If you are fortunate a good bike will come up that is known to this website. I think most people here will be honest about the pros and cons of their particular bike when they come to sell.

If you can increase your budget to approx £4k you could be looking at a 12s. Much lighter, more powerful, more divisive.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun May 31, 2015 9:18 pm

I bought mine blind without ever having been on a boxer before and only ever riden a twin for two minutes some years before and I loved every aspect of it within ten minutes. I'd been riding IL4's for years before that. I think I might be in the minority for liking it so fast though.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi and welcome. You might find having an indicator switch on each side a bit strange as well but you get used to them - I much prefer this layout to what you may be used to. If you get an 11, get a headlight protector - headlights are expensive and like rocking horse poo
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:57 pm

I'd only ridden one Boxer for ten minutes 15 years ago.

Bought mine in Maidenhead and rode it home .

Fell in love apart from struggling to get used to the weight at first ....

30 years of racing small bikes on and off road I guess.

Had the BM for 2 years sold it in December and collecting another this week .

Once it had gone , I realised I actually loved riding the thing .

I guess 60 years old and not in a hell of a hurry to get any where any more, but just enjoy riding is great .

Oh , mind you I don't fit in too well .

The Enduro Jacket and Helmet mean I don't get acknowledgement from the posers on the full kitted GS's and all the designer clobber .

You know what ?

Who cares . :D
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi Chris and welcome to a great forum.

I'm thinking of selling my "S" if the price is right and I'm near to you. I've sent you a PM with some details.
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

austinpowers

Postby austinpowers » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Not even that long in my case, and less than 25k miles on the clock before the gearbox started lunching itself.

Like the OP I recently had a GSXR 750, a bike I should have kept and would have done despite the ban... Simply sublime and more fun than either the 600 or 1000. The 1100S feels well balanced but not naturally athletic. I got the S as a compromise, still sportish but pillion friendly. Unfortunately the pillion has her own issues with it....

I don't think it is the case that you necessarily adapt to boxers. I had a 1100GS and disliked it more and more as time passed. The S on the other hand feels like you can chuck it about. Just as long as it isn't requiring major surgery....

Return to “New Trixters?”