Uh Oh...

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

austinpowers

Uh Oh...

Postby austinpowers » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Alright? I picked up a lowish miles 1100S (25k) which was in reasonable nick. Unfortunately a couple of hundred miles down the road I disengaged the clutch (lever to bar) slowing in some heavy traffic and heard a nasty percussion section kick in somewhere down below....

Further investigation revealed that in neutral things continued to sound very ruff - this time lever to bar hushed it. Engine off, onto main stand,into gear, clutch disengaged, mate rotates rear wheel and you can hear and feel the noize. Went to indy BMW bloke (Woolbridge nr Wareham) and his money was on the splines, output side of the gearbox. He added that being on that side meant risking a rear wheel lock up if the worst should happen. He reckoned on £750 - 1k to sort it...

Apologies for the questions in a first post but as you can see I have a bit of a problem on my hands here. Firstly, can anyone recommend someone who could do the job just so I can look at another estimate? Secondly is there a fix that is permanent - ie help the splines to last more than 25k miles? The guy I spoke to thought the clutch itself was sound but if everything is coming off should it be replaced as a matter of course? Should anything else be replace at the same time? Like my brain ;)
Many thanks...

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Welcome and unlucky with the bike. Can't help with advice but there will be someone along shortly who probably can
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:25 pm

First thing you need to do is diagnose the problem properly. Search here and on Pelican for threads on the dreaded spline failure.

If you are reasonably competent, you can do most of the job yourself, at least getting to the gearbox. Then you can source an exchange or have yours rebuilt. I believe steptoe, a member here might be able to help you in that regard.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Luckily not happened to me so far...
As above just type Splines into a search on this form and you'll get plenty of advice
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 01&start=0

some more links here
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19246

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

austinpowers

Postby austinpowers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks for the contributions. I've PMd Steptoe, in the meantime the bike stays in the garage, it doesn't feel like putting miles on given the current state of play is a sensible idea. :(

Return to “New Trixters?”