another newbie....perhaps

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stevesilver

another newbie....perhaps

Postby stevesilver » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 pm

Hello all, am currently considering my next bike. At the moment its between a R1100s which I have liked since I saw the boxer cup race at Donnington in 2004, and a VFR800 vtec.
Have never owned a BMW before, but did have a VFR750 many years ago.
Currently own a ZRX1200R which I really like except for the fact it doesnt handle in the twisties as well as I like. Its probably me, but I really dont feel confident on it in corners. My previous bike was a blade which was without doubt the best bike Ive ever owned. Had to sell that cos it gave me cramp evertime I rode it(I'm a old git now). Anyhow enough waffling, whats best, VFR or BM?
Guess you lot be a bit biased?
Anything in particular I need to be aware of? I will have a budget of 3K.

Finally anybody wanna buy a rex?

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm fairly new to an r1100 having previously owned all sorts. I can highly recommend one over a vfr. A couple of years ago after I sold my zx7r I test rode a zrx as I'd always wanted one, and hated it after 200 yards, just couldn't get on with the handling. Then took an r1100s out and gelled with it immediately, ended up with a k1200r as I wanted more power at the time( too much power if I'm honest) and then swapped that for yet another speed triple( my 5th or 6th). Earlier this year I found I needed another bike for touring and 2 up riding so looked at vfr s and r1100s and bought a boxer cup rep as it just blew the Honda away. The thing just covers ground so quickly and effortlessly like nothing I've ever had, I genuinely don't think that it's any slower from a-b than the speed triple, to the extent that I have to consciously force myself to take the triumph out now as I always reach for the boxer keys first.
Short answer, I'm a convert to the opposed twin.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:22 am

I had a pre v tec vfr as a get to work bike. Got a bcr which I love, bought a 12s then got rid of vfr. Even after riding the bcr I never liked going back to the Honda. Welcome btw!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Cheers, will be going to do some test rides on them when I'm rid of the rex. I'm leaning towards the BM as really love it looks, and a boxer will be something totally different for me. Will post pics when I get one :D

Henners

Postby Henners » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:11 pm

Welcome. I've owned a 1996 VFR750, 2x800s and a vtec plus I'm now on my second 1100S ~ I sold a VFR800 FiY earlier this year.

My opinion FWIW is the 1100S is a more useable bike with a lot of nice design points the VFR hasn't. The last VFR750s are getting to classic status now but they'll be 20 years old along with the usual wear and electric grumbles (fried rectifiers common) of a bike of that age. The first 800s (and the 750s) have corrosion issues particularly the exhaust and radiators and the are ugly. The vtec is a great bike but cursed with that system, which can disturb the bike when it kicks in, unless you can afford the modified 2006 onwards models. Don't believe any tosh about Honda build quality, that went out the window when they moved to water based paint circa 2002.

The VFRs are far more difficult to work on (compared to the 1100S) and the vtec has a very expensive valve check every 16,000 miles. Honda dealers aren't the best either. The owners forum is very helpful and full of info on what the bike is truly like and how to deal with any problems:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/

So you can see why I am where I am. The 1100S isn't perfect either however for me it is the better option. Whatever you decide take a good long test ride.

Cheers, Henners

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks Henners, am still trying to sell my ZRX, I'm still leaning towards a R1100S, rather than the VFR. This forum seems as good as the ZRX forum I'm on. So many knowledgeable people out there. I'm unfortunately not one of them :shock:

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Have just taken 2 1/2 hours to construct a ebay advert for my ZRX, (dont ask, am easily distracted) put a link up on my ZRX forum, thought I'd be cheeky and stick one on here, although I've just seen I need 10 posts before I can. Unfortunately for you lot, I now will be most probably putting up 5 of the most boring posts of all time.

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 am

stevesilver wrote:....Unfortunately for you lot, I now will be most probably putting up 5 of the most boring posts of all time.

Do a post on oil or tyres - they're always popular.....
Big Scottish Al

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Do a post on oil or tyres - they're always popular.....[/quote]

That happened on the ZRX forum a few months ago..... Jesus it was WWIII, the moderator or whatever there called resigned and would have been fistie cuffs if they met. I think it still holds the world record for replies.........

I'll save that topic till i have a bike :twisted:

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Hhhmmmm havent got the hang of this quote business yet........... :shock:

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:55 pm

But on the plus side am now up to 10 posts........ now where did I put that advert? :D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:49 pm

McBoxer wrote:Do a post on oil or tyres - they're always popular.....

Al - you're a bad, bad man. :D

Return to “New Trixters?”