Hello from the north west

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Re: Hello from the north west

Postby slparry » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Ben

Are you local to where I am, Chester Motorrad?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Taz

Postby Taz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:33 pm

3 weeks tomorrow would be good, weather permitting.
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

bobtail

Postby bobtail » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Ben, also not too far away from you just outside Chester (but in Wales). Bought my R1200RS in November 2015 after ten years of ownership of a K1200S on an 05 plate (one of the first in the UK). Loved the K and in all the ten years+ that I had it nothing ever went wrong with it unlike quite a few owners of this marque who experienced problems. Although I loved the K I simply cannot get over just how superb the R1200RS is, my first foray into the Boxer twin brigade and loving it.

Again if you fancy a jaunt out into those fab Welsh hills on my doorstep give me a pm.

Cheers,

Bob
Are we there yet?

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm

slparry wrote:Hi Ben

Not far at all mate, im planning on popping in to have a look around at some point as you are my nearest official dealer I think.

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:47 pm

bobtail wrote:Hi Ben, also not too far away from you just outside Chester (but in Wales). Bought my R1200RS in November 2015 after ten years of ownership of a K1200S on an 05 plate (one of the first in the UK). Loved the K and in all the ten years+ that I had it nothing ever went wrong with it unlike quite a few owners of this marque who experienced problems. Although I loved the K I simply cannot get over just how superb the R1200RS is, my first foray into the Boxer twin brigade and loving it.

Again if you fancy a jaunt out into those fab Welsh hills on my doorstep give me a pm.

Cheers,

Bob

Great stuff Bob, maybe a few of us could meet up one weekend for a run out?

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:52 pm

So I've had the bike for almost a week now, it was delivered last Thursday evening.

I've only managed to put about 150 miles on it last weekend but I hope to get a few more on it this weekend weather permitting. So far its a real eye opener. Head and shoulders above my previous bike. Stand outs for me so far are the superb handling (it seems unfazed by anything) and the fact its very comfortable for me (even after a few months off a bike over winter and having a slipped disk in my back I had no complaints whilst on it). The missus was very pleased with the pillion arrangement too thankfully.

I'm still getting used to the engine after riding mostly IL4's but its got plenty of poke that's for sure.

Cant wait for better weather now, want to be out on it as much as possible.

Beamerboy

Postby Beamerboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. I,m in Wrexham not to far away and like others have said I am also willing to meet up at a convenient location.
Glad you're enjoying the BM
Rob :)

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:20 am

Ben1200RS wrote:
slparry wrote:Hi Ben

Not far at all mate, im planning on popping in to have a look around at some point as you are my nearest official dealer I think.

Cool, let me know when you pop in :)

Are you coming on the Welsh Weekend? It's a good weekend, different venue this year so I'm praying it's going to be ok :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

bobtail

Postby bobtail » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Steve re: Welsh w/e. Have you got a route sorted for the Saturday yet? Can't make the venue for stop overs but would like to meet up somewhere 'en route' and tag along if possible.

Ben no problems meeting up just send me a p.m. and we can sort out a meet point.

Bob
Are we there yet?

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 am

bobtail wrote:Steve re: Welsh w/e. Have you got a route sorted for the Saturday yet? Can't make the venue for stop overs but would like to meet up somewhere 'en route' and tag along if possible.

Ben no problems meeting up just send me a p.m. and we can sort out a meet point.

Bob

Couple of weeks time soon as the weather is looking better mate deffinately

Cheers

Ben1200RS

Postby Ben1200RS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 am

Well with the great weather over the weekend I had the perfect opportunity to finally put a few miles on my new RS. I live in Liverpool but most of my family are based in and around the kent / surrey border within a few miles of junction 6 of the m25, which means about a 240 mile journey each way which unfortunately is mainly motorway.

I've been suffering with a slipped disc in my lower for a few months now (I need to get it sorted once and for all but its a long story) and it had been pretty bad for much of last week which was leading me to be somewhat concerned and so I set of on Saturday morning thinking that if things were really bad I would just turn back within 100 miles and admit defeat.

I was definitely in some discomfort for most of the journey down there (left hip froze up and gave constant pain) but I could generally resolve it by standing up on the pegs for a few seconds and having a bit of a wiggle. But I managed the journey down there with a single 5 min stop for fuel and arrived feeling not too bad at all. Compared to doing it on my previous bandit I know would have been feeling terrible.

The journey back was better, maybe I just adjusted to the position as the pain was less and I enjoyed it a lot more. I have a feeling the more miles I put on it the further I will be able to go in more comfort.

So what are my thoughts about the bike? I LOVE IT!!!!!

Initially I didn't think it was that fast but BOY IS IT! it munches motorways with ease, its super stable and just seems to soak up most poor road surfaces, it always feels planted and inspires huge amounts of confidence. Its the first bike I've had with panniers and its just so practical but not at the expense of being fun either.

My brother has a 1250 Tiger sport and we have a lot of banter about our bikes. We had a quick 30 mins on Sunday morning where we swopped bikes and he road the RS. After a few A road bypasses and a couple of junctions around the m25 he got off smiling saying "that's a really decent bike brov" which is huge praise from my brother as he hates the idea of me having a better bike than him! In comparison his Tiger felt top heavy, the engine felt "old school", heavy clutch and brake levers and surprisingly (for me anyway) it didn't have the speed of the RS either (his has been dyno's at 122 bhp).

So reflecting on the weekend all I can say is that it was pretty much a success, im now thinking "bring it on" for this years riding, im more excited about riding than I have been in a long time. And I guess that's exactly what I want a bike to do to me, I want something in the garage that makes me want to go out and ride.

Taz

Postby Taz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 am

Terrific, good for you. :D
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

Return to “New Trixters?”