my first bimmer...

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bilbob

my first bimmer...

Postby bilbob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

Ello all
Just taken in my first BMW, r1100s. To say it's a learning curve might be understating it....
First mistake was putting regular unleaded in it... I'm assuming (hoping?) this is causing such roughness!
Anyway, I'll have plenty of questions, including... How do you mount a phone to it? There's no spare handlebar... And when out in the sticks, and super isn't available, what do you do?add an additive? Ride very gently?
Anyway, I'll find my way around, but they'll be another flat twin buzzing around north Yorkshire this summer...

SP250

Re: my first bimmer...

Postby SP250 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:45 am

Other than when I was caning my 11S at the Nurburgring or on a trackday, I have used nothing else but regular unleaded 95 octane.
Yours might need the throttle bodies balanced if its really rough / vibrating.
Also if it is low mileage, or hasn't been run in properly they take 20,000 plus miles before they smooth out and stop consuming oil.
John M

bilbob

Postby bilbob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Hmmm... I'm at a bit of a loss to start, as I don't know what constitutes 'rough' on one of these...i come from a triumph triple, and that's far smoother. I particularly noticed it when cruising in top, at a*fair* pace, opening the throttle wide caused all sorts of roughness....
Any advice welcome :D
Oh, It's done 27k...

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:03 pm

bilbob wrote:Hmmm... I'm at a bit of a loss to start, as I don't know what constitutes 'rough' on one of these...i come from a triumph triple, and that's far smoother. I particularly noticed it when cruising in top, at a*fair* pace, opening the throttle wide caused all sorts of roughness....
Oh, It's done 27k...

You say your first mistake was putting regular unleaded in it.
So what made you assume that this was causing a running problem.
Did it run better with super unleaded ?
What you describe in regards to running certainly isn't my experience.
I think the advice already given is highly recommended.
In the meantime, check all the simple stuff like spark plug(s) not loose, caps and HT leads etc.
I once had what you described on an old Guzzi.
When I checked, one of the plugs had worked it's way so it was hanging on by a thread
:shock:
After I screwed it back in it was fine.
BMW's are smooth for an air cooled twin.
Your issue doesn't sound right to me.

bilbob

Postby bilbob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm

fontana wrote:
bilbob wrote:Hmmm... I'm at a bit of a loss to start, as I don't know what constitutes 'rough' on one of these...i come from a triumph triple, and that's far smoother. I particularly noticed it when cruising in top, at a*fair* pace, opening the throttle wide caused all sorts of roughness....
Oh, It's done 27k...

You say your first mistake was putting regular unleaded in it.
So what made you assume that this was causing a running problem.
Did it run better with super unleaded ?
What you describe in regards to running certainly isn't my experience.
I think the advice already given is highly recommended.
In the meantime, check all the simple stuff like spark plug(s) not loose, caps and HT leads etc.
I once had what you described on an old Guzzi.
When I checked, one of the plugs had worked it's way so it was hanging on by a thread
:shock:
After I screwed it back in it was fine.
BMW's are smooth for an air cooled twin.
Your issue doesn't sound right to me.

From memory, I seemed to recall these BM's used super unleaded, and knowing I'd just put a tankful of regular in after picking the bike up, I assumed it was that. And yes, with the super in, it was smooth*er*, not smooth...!! If these are meant to be smooth, then it definitely ain't that!
I'll do some more checks at the weekend, but I kinda hope a spark plug isn't hanging out...!
MOT is due at end of April, so I might just get the mot guys to do a balance on it at the same time.
FWIW, it's a 2001...

Cheers :bom:

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Mine's a 2001 as well, with 33,000 on it now.

It won't be as 'smooth' as your Triumph triple, but the only vibes I get are a slight tingle at 70 ish.

Doesn't need super unleaded, although they are a bit better using it.
John M

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Check that the little black throttle body vacumn caps aren't missing.
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:08 am

Always used ordinary unleaded on my BCR - it was recommended to use 98 in the 12s and it did seem to make a difference although the fueling on my 12 was crap until John told me about the TPS re set!! Should be even better soon with the PC fitted!!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi, my S has done 90k miles, always on reg unleaded without a hitch. If super is making a difference I am at a loss. The only time mine ever got any excessive vib/rough running was at about your mileage and it was the valves. Sorted them and not had to touch them since. But check the balance first.

Nice colour that s. Happy running

bilbob

Postby bilbob » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Ben wrote:Nice colour that s.

How'd you know what colour it is ? :)

I've done the throttle bodies, better, still not great, but better... Valves will be next, once I got the clutch fixed as per my other thread in technical... :(

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Ben wrote:Hi, my S has done 90k miles, always on reg unleaded without a hitch. If super is making a difference I am at a loss.

As I understand it, super unleaded doesn't make the kind of difference you notice when riding.
It's more to do with how much better it is for the top end of the engine.
Reduced carbon deposits in particular.
That's just what a mechanic once told me.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 pm

From the owner's manual:
Recommended fuel grade Super Plus unleaded (98 RON/88 MON)
Fuel grade, usable with power - and consumption - related restrictions Super unleaded (95 . RON/85 MON)

From that I would assume you lose both power and increase fuel consumption.
10 KTM RC8

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:52 pm

My K12GT gets noticeably better MPG with 98/99 Unleaded, but only when on a long journey. So when I'm doing the motorway slog up to Glasgow from North Wales I use Shell V Power etc

The RT was the same too, I guess newer generation engine with all their knock sensors and fancy computer timings can make a use of such elixir's. The S's have quite high compression ISTR so that's probably why it's "recommended"
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 pm

My 2001 bike owners manual states super (premium) grade fuel - min octane 95 (RON) or 85 (MON).
Not 98 octane.
John M

Return to “New Trixters?”