Honda XT to R1200RS

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

MotoGpNick

Honda XT to R1200RS

Postby MotoGpNick » Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 am

Hi all,

I have been looking to move across to the R1200RS away from my Crosstourer - after riding the R1200RS(2017) I am very impressed - I think its my next bike. Very easy to ride and very relaxed.Also I found the screen causing buffeting after 80 MPH but I am sure there are plenty of aftermarket screens available?

I live in Sussex and commute into Surrey every day I can, as well as ride outs at the weekends. I am nearly 61 so need something a bit lighter and easier to get on and off. Have been into bike since I was 14 and have been riding ever since. I also belong to RoSPA SMart.

I am interested if there are any problems with the R1200RS that I should be concerned about before I splash the cash.

Regards

Nick

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Honda XT to R1200RS

Postby Paul » Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi Nick,

I'm in Surrey and have an R1200RS with 12k miles put on it in the past 18 months including a track day. I think it's a cracking bike and would thoroughly recommend it. Make sure you go for the SE spec though, to get the gear shift assist pro.

If you are after luggage, the BMW panniers are good, but I find the top box a bit too small, since it will only hold my Schuberth C3 Pro helmet and nothing much else. I bought a Givi V46 box instead and a Givi adapter plate manufactured by a guy in Sweden on http://r1200rsforums.com who posts under the user name "Bacaruda". It looks and works much better than then Givi manufactured plate, since the Givi own brand plate is ugly and also puts the box too close to the rider, leaving not enough room for a pillion when a box is mounted.

I have tried a few screens on mine, but after having an F800GS as a loan bike during the 12k service, I'm back to the original screen on it's lowest setting, to get my head in clean air. I have tried the "Laminar Lip" screen extension, the PowerBronze Touring screen and the MRA Vario touring screen. If you are trying to create a bubble of still air, like an RT, prepare to be disappointed, but my preference, prior to the short screen route, was the MRA, followed by the Laminar Lip, with the PowerBronze stone dead last. If you do spring for an RS and want to try before you buy, I'd be happy to indulge you by loaning you any of those screens to play with.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed May 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Paul wrote:It looks and works much better than then Givi manufactured plate, since the Givi own brand plate is ugly and also puts the box too close to the rider, leaving not enough room for a pillion when a box is mounted.
Paul

Forget me if I am wrong but the whole point of the GIVI mounting plate is that it is pretty much infinitely adjustable as to fitting position. (IE you can put the bolts and slotted square washers into any of the holes in the plate).

I just fitted one to my RT and before I mounted it I took a set square to the small BMW Top Box and marked the Carrier with a marker pen. I then put the GIVI plate on the bottom of the GIVI box and lined it up with the set square and then marked the Plate position on the BMW carrier, Then a simple job of mounting the GIVI plate in the marked position and hey presto a GIVI box which sits in exactly the same place as the BMW top box. BTW my GIVI box was actually a blatant copy of a GIVI Box and cost £30.99 including the Plate and mounting kit and came brand new from a UK Address in two days from E bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331765060696
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed May 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi TT,

I was referring to this rack built by Givi to replace the R1200RS BMW supplied rack, rather than the universal rack you are talking about:

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed May 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Its is very pretty but I suspect cost way more than my whole Top Box / fitting kit- In any event I personally don't ride without a box so the mounting plate is always hidden. If I want a smaller box its four nuts to undo remove GIVI plate and re-fit the smaller BMW box that came with the bike and which locks to the standard RT carrier - the main point that I was trying to get across was that the GIVI plate does not automatically mean you lose pillion space its just a matter of measurement to get the front of the Top box in exactly the same position as a BMW system top box.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

If you use the universal plate, agreed, but if you use the one in the picture above, there is no adjustment possible whatsoever, and it does impact on pillion carrying. I have one, it's (expensive) rubbish. The moral is: don't by the R1200RS specific GIVI plate shown in the picture, instead buy the universal plate or the fancy one made by the Swedish fella on the other forum.

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed May 17, 2017 8:51 pm

MotoGpNick wrote:Hi all,

I have been looking to move across to the R1200RS away from my Crosstourer

Nick

I've ridden one of those Honda's.
I was extremely impressed with it.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu May 18, 2017 2:48 pm

fontana wrote:
MotoGpNick wrote:Hi all,

I have been looking to move across to the R1200RS away from my Crosstourer

Nick

I've ridden one of those Honda's.
I was extremely impressed with it.

My mate is on his second Crosstourer, ( he won't have owt unless its a Honda) and he loves the engine and riding position.

Things he don't like about it:
Standard screen - too small
Rear Tyre - too small in section and wears out too quick
Honda Top box - too small and leaks when it rains
Fuel consumption is poor - over the same mileage recently he put in 19 litres to my 14 (R1200RT).

His Missus don't like:
The rear seat its too small and too hard.
the top box is too short and hits her in the lower back
The top box is too far forward and cramps her space (she's not a large lady only a size 10). (Apparently she is banned from trying the pillion on my R1200RT in case she likes it too much and gives him earache)

What I don't like about it is the fit and finish - BMW craft things properly, for instance brake pedals, (look at the brake pedal on your R1100S and tell me its not beautifully thought out and made) Honda just stamp them out of a lumps of steel weld them up and spray them in a manky silver paint.
I'm not saying its a bad bike but I'd find it hard to go from a BMW to a Honda as I'd be forever finding niggling fault with the fit and finish.

Anyhow these are things wot I have observed about the Crossdresser (sorry Crosstourer). They are however mighty quick for their weight.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Thu May 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Nick,

Coming back from the thread hi-jack...

I'm in Sussex and on my second RS. I had a '15 and recently bought a '17. Love the bike, it is excellent. Not sure of your budget so thought I'd chip in with a few comparisons between the two in case you are tor between new and used.

I agree with Paul. The Sport SE is the model to go for, the '17 has some minor updates to the gearbox that make it a bit smoother but also ABS pro - which is essentially ABS that also works when the bike is leant over. It has been designed by witch doctors and is basically voodoo.
The '15 and '16 bikes are also definitely worth a look - I only changed my '15 because I got a stonking deal. The way in which the power delivery can be altered to vary traction control and throttle response is really good and takes a good while to get the most out of and is no different between the models.

There is a forum - just google R1200RS forum and there's plenty of good advice there.

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 am

I've had a RS since December and am very pleased with it. As Paul says go for the SE. Only fly in the ointment has been an ESA failure at 1,700 miles :( , fixed by a new control module :) .

The RS forum is helpful, on Paul's recommendation got a GPS mount from a guy in Australia on the forum and it is what BMW should have done in the first place.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

MotoGpNick

Postby MotoGpNick » Tue May 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, I noticed you mention getting the quick shifter - does it really make a difference if you are not doing track days?
Anything else you guys recommend - ie cylinder head covers etc? Hugger etc

Oh and is the BMW Nav system any good? with GPS etc?

Return to “New Trixters?”