N.Wales R1100S

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Happiharri

N.Wales R1100S

Postby Happiharri » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi all, excellent website.

I bought a R1100s a few months back and to be honest I am hanging on by my fingertips! Same old story, riding position! I didn't think the R1100s was too extreme when it came to riding position. But longer rides, which I love doing, result in numb hands, aching forearms and back. I have placed the bars above the yoke and fitted some 'comfort' bar grips. At first this seemed to help. But not as much as I need it seems.

Options, move the bike on,or start with a foot peg lowering kit, and then bar backs or risers. My reservation in doing these alterations is that the results won't be enough. I've heard from someone who has had positive results doing this but any more input would be good and might help me decided what the way forward is.

BMW's? Love them. I love everything about my R1100s, except, the riding position!

Al

Re: N.Wales R1100S

Postby Al » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:34 pm

I had the same issues,had the 1100 for 10 years and it gradually became more uncomfortable, I fitted the Wunderlich lowering kit which is 15 or 40 mm lower than standard along with bars above the yoke, helped with upper body and arm issues but unfortunately did not completely resolve the knee problems ( I have had arthoscopies on both), so in the end I bought a GS instead, problems fixed!! an R1200r would probably have been ok as well.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Happiharri wrote:.

Options, move the bike on,or start with a foot peg lowering kit, and then bar backs or risers. My reservation in doing these alterations is that the results won't be enough. I've heard from someone who has had positive results doing this but any more input would be good and might help me decided what the way forward is.

BMW's? Love them. I love everything about my R1100s, except, the riding position!

I've owned my 11s for over 10 yrs now , tbh it was never the most comfortable bike I've owned but I like it's fast corner stability and general quirkiness. As the years have progressed I've fitted lowered pegs , raised the bars , fitted barbacks , currently I've retained the lowered pegs and refitted the bars below the top yoke :? . In 6 months time I may move the bars again or just ride one of my other bikes. Raising the bars can cause numerous other problems , the only way really is to try . One problem is windblast and the other for me was the standard seat , it's angled for the clip ons below the top yoke. The barbacks are great around town but I don't find them great at speed. In the sit on BMw test the only bike that currently suits me is the 1200rt , the GS doesn't feel right although I've ridden neither on the road. I'm 6'4" with a 33" inside leg if that helps...

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Happiharri

Postby Happiharri » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear about the knees problem Al. Keeping a bike for 10 years! It's good to hear that the mod's with lowering the pegs improved your upper body comfort which is what I'm looking for. And I'm glad the GS is suited.

Hey nab, an 1100s for 10 years as well, that's some going! And in that time it seems like you've tried everything. It's funny that you've ended up with the lower pegs and the bars back down again. I'm a little bit more protected from the wind as I have an adjustable height screen added to the original which protects me from most of the wind. As you say I will have to try and see if I choose to keep the bike. My problems are all up top as the original pegs seem to suit my short 29" legs.

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Harri

I am busy for the next couple of weekends but we could meet at the Ponderosa and you could have a sit on mine which as you know has Barbacks and the lowering kit.

I used to own an R1200GS and the R1100S is never going to get you to that level of comfort but I am really enjoying my 1100 at the moment, but London to a Brick I can see myself back on a GS one day (Its just that Snowdonia is clogged with GS's every weekend :D ) I do however fancy an R1200R

Let me know if you want to catch up

Mike

Happiharri

Postby Happiharri » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Hi Mike, how's it going?

Where I am so far - a guy from the USA on my facebook said he has bar backs for sale. I have asked how much to ship to the UK but he hasn't replied yet.

I have looked at the LSL bar risers. On the ad for them it mentions ABS, which my bike isn't. I have emailed them to ask if it makes a difference if the bar risers are put on a non ABS bike. Can't think why it would make a difference? Do you? Web search LSL bar risers and you will see what I mean. But as with the guy in the USA I still havn't had a reply!? LSL also supply the 22mm bars as well.

A panad up at the Ponderosa sounds like a good idea. You can contact me here or on my facebook.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Welcome to the site, IMHO move the bike on , you have bought the wrong bike for you. What is the point guddlin` about with an old bike that does not fit you.. spending loads on aftermarket kelp that still may not deliver satisfaction seems futile. Buy a more recent one such as the r1200r. :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:53 pm

boxerscott wrote:Welcome to the site, IMHO move the bike on , you have bought the wrong bike for you. What is the point guddlin` about with an old bike that does not fit you.. spending loads on aftermarket kelp that still may not deliver satisfaction seems futile. Buy a more recent one such as the r1200r. :)

Chris is probably right about moving to another bike, I should have moved on from my 1100 far earlier rather than try to make it work, that I have done more miles on the GS in 15 months than I did in 3 yrs on the 1100 proves it was the right move for me.
Haven't ridden a 1200r but Chris has a shiny new one and may be slightly biased :D

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Happiharri

Postby Happiharri » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am

Interesting views guys. I must have to admit that I have been looking for possible part ex's. A gs in good nick is going to be a little too expensive. What a shame when I really love the looks and performance of the r1100s! Mmm, we'll see.

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:57 am

Some times you have to think with your head and not the heart. :cry:
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Ekimyrf

Postby Ekimyrf » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Chucking a set of barbacks may fix it for you if it does thats a ton saved over chopping the bike in on something else.

Worked for me the bike was uncomfortable before and now its comfortable and all up cost very little to fix up. Secondhand barbacks £75 and a new brake line £18

I would love a shiny new R1200R but That is five times more than I spent on my bike.

Return to “New Trixters?”