New member from the Santa Cruz Mts. California

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

ridgetopboy

New member from the Santa Cruz Mts. California

Postby ridgetopboy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:35 am

"Good looks, wealth and education are often wasted on the slow, everything in moderation and moderation is the first to go." A line from a song...

I can't help myself I'm crazy about riding that 2004 R1100S in the garage. Luckily, I live just off Soquel/San Jose Road in the Santa Cruz Mts (above the Monterey Bay in California), one of the greatest mountain roads in the area so the sidewalls get scuffed regularly. Thanks to the current drought we are in the midst of, almost everyday is a good day to ride with temps in the mid-60s (F) and up, so moderation is out the window! It was a two-wheeled Christmas bonanza so I'm now sporting all new riding gear (Alpinestar riding boots, armored Joe Rocket Pants and Jacket and tires). Rode down the hill to Santa Cruz this afternoon to rub the mold release compound off my bike's new shoes. It was a sunny beautiful 76 degrees on the coast today. The Michelin Pilot Road 4's look to be a nice improvement over worn the Metzler Z6's. We made a backroads loop up Hwy 9 through Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park and over the hill to Scotts Valley where we slaked our thirst on the local micro brews. All in all a great way to spend the day.

If you find yourself in my neck of the woods, give me a shout I'll be glad to guide you around this incredible riding area.

Hope you all are having a great holiday season, wherever you may be. Keep the rubber side down and be safe out there.

YH&OS
Mark Wialbut

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: New member from the Santa Cruz Mts. California

Postby Paul » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:16 am

Welcome along Mark. It's cold and wet over here in the UK, and every ride is followed by a 15 minute hose down of the bike with cold water to wash the road salt off. Enjoy your sunny climes, we're only slightly jealous :wink:

All the best,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

sjrainsford

Postby sjrainsford » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Welcome and enjoy!

Not jealous at all :lol:
2001 BMW R1100S (Merecat)
2008 Vespa GTS300 (Bianca)

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Welcome

No not jealous - BLOODY VERY JEALOUS!!!!!!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

ridgetopboy

Postby ridgetopboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:48 am

While the drought has been making for some fabulous 2-wheeled Tuesdays exploring the nooks and crannies of Northern California, it's not all roses. The last time it rained here was Dec. 5th. For one thing we depend on rain for water at my house and I'm starting to feel the pinch. If it doesn't rain again here soon I'll need to have a load of water delivered at great expense ($0.10/gal!). In January!!! My other passion is skiing and it's been dismal in Tahoe, manmade snow and only groomed runs; boring. My season pass is wasting away with only 2 days in so far this season.

Going to clean up the bike tomorrow, get the bags on and pack up for a New Years 2-Wheeled Tuesday. If all goes as planned heading down to Jade Cove in the southern Big Sur area for an overnight, although the weather man is promising rain. I'm torn looking forward to the ride but could really use the rain. We shall see. Hwy 1 is a spectacular ride, we'll take that on the way down then head back over The Santa Lucias on Naciamento-Ferguson Rd. for the best views of the California coast from 850 meters above. 40KM of some of the best motorcycling on the central coast followed by a stop for some wonderful Carnitas tacos in Salinas.

Mark

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:46 pm

Welcome , Highs of 12 deg c and lows of minus 3 here over christmas, mixed with rain and gales. It hasn't stopped me using two wheels though..yesterday I had dry roads for the first time in weeks , I don't think i'd fancy having to ship in water though!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Mark
10 KTM RC8

SLOSR11S

Postby SLOSR11S » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:50 am

Welcome Mark

I have some fond memories of living in Southern California in the late 80s and waking up to beautiful bike riding weather every day! Some of those coastal roads were stunning. Happy days.

Return to “New Trixters?”