Hello from the California desert!

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jozefschumann

Hello from the California desert!

Postby jozefschumann » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:03 am

Hello gentlemen and the perhaps rare, intrepid - lady.

I have pretty much been a silent observer of things boxer related for quite some time and feel it is time to introduce myself and my machine. Being a young and healthy 63 years of age allows me to pursue the almost lifelong passion of unabashed, carefree motoring, exploring the vastness and just about endless selection of roads we have here in the states. Being no stranger to the delights a properly tuned and fitted motorbike allows - I have been slinging a leg over the seat of many-a-bike since about 1967 with an initiation ride of a Honda CT90 - with a veritable plethora of subsequents to follow.

Meet 'Mandy' a name chosen by my wife who, has named all of my machines as I suppose she somehow views them as viable competitors for her attention!

Being involved in BMW/Ferrari/MBZ/Porsche, road car performance modifications and maintenance for some 40 years before inevitably retiring, I turned my attention to individualizing my motorbikes to a higher specification more suited to my liking. As an ongoing project, I am currently preparing an r1150 motor to which gas flowed cylinder heads and revised cam timing specifications shall be just part of the package. A couple of more photos for your perusal:

Custom specification JE pistons dome height is excesssive requiring milling to bring compression down to a reliable, useable range.

So, there you have it. An introduction to man and machine. :)

Certainly, there are plenty among you with skills and experiences, some - of which easily exceed my own. I look forward to sharing and interacting with you and thank the site proprietors for making available such an invaluable venue.

Jozef (Joe)

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Re: Hello from the California desert!

Postby RiceBurner » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:35 pm

Hi, welcome!

Looks like a nice project!

Can i just ask, what's the extra guage above the neutral light on your bike and what info is it showing? (Some looks obvious, some not)
non quod, sed quomodo

jozefschumann

Postby jozefschumann » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:51 am

RiceBurner wrote:Hi, welcome!

Looks like a nice project!

Can i just ask, what's the extra guage above the neutral light on your bike and what info is it showing? (Some looks obvious, some not)

Thank you kindly, RiceBurner! - An ongoing project indeed;

The guage unit nestled up top the instrument cluster is, as you noted as being somewhat obvious - an add-on instrument which was offered by a French gentleman, Laurent (pelican part forum screen name Buzzz) -

Here are the functionalities :
- Voltage monitoring
- Air temperature
- Oil temperature with colored graph and high temp warning
- Display engaged gear

A very nicely turned out accessory with exceptional build quality which provides useful on-the-fly info.

You can see more here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZAMHW-z4mU&t=36s

best,
J.S.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:20 am

Welcome on board Joe. Looking forward to hearing about you progress with the ongoing project.

Best regards,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “New Trixters?”